DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Electrical 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Maroon
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
Vic842 is on a distinguished road
Default Intermittent and Windshield Washing Problem

Hey everyone

Basically I cant wash my windshield... When I push in the the washer button nothing happens... What should happen is the washer fluid sprays and the wipers turn on... I get nothing...

Didnt know I could fail state inspection because of this...

Also my intermittent wipers dont work, I have high and low speeds that work fine...

Could this be a Fuse? Switch? I am thinking its this because the wipers dont even go when i try to wash the windshield...

Any help would be awesome
Thanks,

Vic
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi SLT 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Stone White
Rep:132
Upstater will become famous soon enoughUpstater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic842 View Post
Hey everyone

Basically I cant wash my windshield... When I push in the the washer button nothing happens... What should happen is the washer fluid sprays and the wipers turn on... I get nothing...

Didnt know I could fail state inspection because of this...

Also my intermittent wipers dont work, I have high and low speeds that work fine...

Could this be a Fuse? Switch? I am thinking its this because the wipers dont even go when i try to wash the windshield...

Any help would be awesome
Thanks,

Vic
Hi Vic,

I'm no mechanic but I'm guessing the multifunction switch went bad. I had it happen twice on an '07.

Hope you get it resolved!
Old 08-16-2011, 03:34 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

as for it not spraying washer fluid pop open the hood and see if its spraying somewhere where it shouldnt be and check to make sure the hoses are all connected and as for the intermitten id agree with the above that its prolly in the switch
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 08-18-2011, 12:27 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any other issues like the Dome light not working, or the headlight minder not working (sets off the dinger if you leave the lights on and open the drivers door), or the wipers don't park properly when shut off, or heated seats don't work properly, or headlights don't stay on for a minute or so if you shut the truck off before turning the headlights off.

Part of the wiper circuit uses the central timer module as do the other things I mentioned here. Although it is not like to be the issue, it doesn't hurt to rule it out before buying parts.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 08-18-2011, 07:04 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi SLT 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Stone White
Rep:132
Upstater will become famous soon enoughUpstater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
Do you have any other issues like the Dome light not working, or the headlight minder not working (sets off the dinger if you leave the lights on and open the drivers door), or the wipers don't park properly when shut off, or heated seats don't work properly, or headlights don't stay on for a minute or so if you shut the truck off before turning the headlights off.

Part of the wiper circuit uses the central timer module as do the other things I mentioned here. Although it is not like to be the issue, it doesn't hurt to rule it out before buying parts.
I did not know this... good advice!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Nope...

Thanks Brad... But all of those things that you had mentioned work properly...

I bought the new multi switch... And will be checking if there are any fuses that are for the washer fluid pump, or whatever...

Hoping the switch does the trick...
Old 08-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Re-assessing situation...

Hey Brad and Everyone,

I went out and bought the Multi switch for my wipers/blinkers/etc and replaced the old one and Intermittent wipers and washing my windshield still dont work...

After further review, like you had mentioned, my chimers for leaving my interior light on, leaving my headlights on, leaving keys in the ignition when I open the doors, actually do not work...

I checked the fuses at the end of the dash and in the wipers spot was a 20A fuse and according to the panel it should be a 25A fuse, would this have made a big difference?

If the fuse wasnt a possibility, I had spoken to someone and they suggested it was probably the "intermittent governor" which I would think is the same as the "central timer module"... Where can I find one of these? Dealership? Autozone type place?

Thanks for the help guys

Vic
Old 08-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Before you go out and buy a central timer module (CTM) (I believe this will be a dealership part), check Fuse 11 (10amp), Fuse 6 (25amp) and Fuse 13 (10A). These fuses should be located in the junction box on the left side of the dash. All 3 fused circuits are used by the CTM.

The windshield washer pump is not controlled or even sensed by the CTM, so this has me curious. The wash switch is sensed by the CTM, but only for the purpose of turning the wipers on. The fact that you do not have washers spraying is a different issue. I have to wonder at this point if the washer pump is not working and it is only a coincidence at this time.

BTW - how wiring savvy are you? After check the fuses, the rest of the tests will require a volt meter and an understanding of how to use it.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 08-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Mechanically v. Electrically

I will check the fuses at lunch today...

As far as wiring goes, I am not well versed at all with automobile electricals... I do know how to take directions and could probably figure it out, I have just never needed the knowledge and no one has ever told me about it much...

I can definitely get a hold of a volt meter...

The thing about the washer pump... I brought the truck back to the guy who I bought it from (he is a mechanic) and I asked him about this stuff and he checked out the washer fluid pump by messing with some plug or something that when I turned the truck on after that the washer fluid just sprayed constantly and then we turned it off and the fluid stopped... (not sure what that test was) but he said that meant that the pump should be okay... Have you heard of some sort of test like this before?

Vic
Old 08-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Unplugged Washer Pump

Just got off the phone with him to see what he did exactly...

Apparently the washer pump was unplugged and he plugged it back in and it sprayed fluid non-stop... Then he unplugged it again to stop it from spraying...