DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Dealer Issues - VIN and Order Tracking - Dodge Ram MSRP & Pricing Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram Dealer Issues - VIN and Order Tracking - Dodge Ram MSRP & Pricing Discussion Have you had a good experience with your Dodge Ram Dealer? Had a bad one? Let us know about it in here! - Dodge Ram Production Questions - Order Status - VIN Tracking - Etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4WD
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Metallic Graphite
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
RidgeRock is on a distinguished road
Angry Service Shop Foreman Calls Me an Azz, and Refuses To Do Work!!

Here goes,...went to my local dealer where I bought my vehicle, to get an estimate on some preventive maintenance. I wanted to flush coolant, replace hoses, and install a new thermostat. He came back about a 1/2 hour later and gave me the estimate which was well over $300, he also stated he talked to a tech who told him they have had issues with replacing the thermostat in which one of the bolts in the thermostat housing breaks, (said does not happen all the time), and to redrill that bolt hole, and rethread would cost me another at least $500 if it happens! Well, I told him he was full of it, I said if "you" break the bolt it is your fault (or Chrysler's) NOT MINE, and you will pay to have it fixed! He said no way, and we went around for about 15-20 minutes, and he finally stated in no uncertain terms that I was an Azz, and they refuse to perform any work on my Dodge Ram 4.7!!..............I ask you folks out there what do you think of this, are they right? I don't think so, I'm thinking it is a scam to get more money out of me! OPINIONS PLEASE.
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 RAM SLT REG. CABX2
Color: CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:61
RammD will become famous soon enough

From a legal standpoint you'd win (but it would be a real pain with court, etc) unless they put this possible "scenario" in writing on the work order and you signed it. But from the sounds of it, they seemed to be trying to get more money out of you and just based on the way your convo went with them, I'd look to get your truck serviced somewhere else.

If that is true about the thermostat bolt housing that would suck so being this is just preventative maintenance, i'd go somewhere else and get the hoses, belts, coolant done and leave the thermostat alone if nothing is wrong with it.

But for sure it sounds like a way for them to make a good chunk of money on you and regardless, since the conversation didn't go over so well I personally wouldn't leave my truck there..i'd look for another place. Good Luck.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:53 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:309
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

All that work is stuff that can be performed in an afternoon in your driveway with basical auto experience. Im sure there are writups here on the forum or people to give you advice for the stuff you couldnt figure out.

Roll your sleeves up and go for it! Your truck will love you for it, i mean who like to be worked on my strangers

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 08-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4WD
Color: Metallic Graphite
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
RidgeRock is on a distinguished road

I know what you mean by "working on my own truck", half the fun of owning a truck is doing the work on it yourself, and when the works done you know it was done right! Unfortunately I'm not able to work on my truck anymore due to physical limitations, but I can still drive it.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:42 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Austin Tan Pearl &Lt. Graystone Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
theweavman is on a distinguished road

you might try sraying the thermo bolts with either freeze out, or a good penetrating oil, let them sit for a while, then give them a few gentle taps with a hammer, then gently try turning them to see if they will move or our frozen...if thet move, no problem..it they refuse...then you could let someone else deal with them, note: if one breaks, it may break off above the block where it can be worked with, and if it breaks inside the block, a small drill and correct easy out tool should remove it without having to drill and retap your threads...... I love that freeze off or out product, for get the exact name....it works amaziningly....I have broken braker bars on stuck bolts, that in a few minutes after spraying, came loose so easily I almost hurt my self by pulling too hard on my wrench
Old 08-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
novaken is on a distinguished road

At least they told you about possible problems before you were torn down and stuck. I have worked in the auto repair industry for over 25 yrs. It was nice of them to give you a heads up on something they know can be a problem. And no, I dont think it is their fault if they break a rusty bolt if they tell you they have had problems before and told you how much it could be. I have thrown people out too that want to fight over silly things. Even called the police a couple times. Just because you serve the public, doesnt mean you are expected to be a punching bag. All you needed to do was turn around and leave. It really is that simple.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:50 PM
erm

Having lived in Wyoming, I suspect that this dealer is the only one within a reasonable distance.

I'd talk to the service manager about the issue. Don't tell him he's full of it. Just talk to him and ask why you should be liable for a broken bolt if one of his techs broke it and Dodge may have missed the mark on the design engineering. You had nothing to do with any of that. You just want to keep your truck maintained well and the best place to do that is the dealer, not some fly by night small shop that doesn't have Dodge Trained Technicians.

Remember, no one likes be told they are full of it, you or anyone else. Saying that gets the other party's back up and their emotions flare. Nothing good comes from that and things pretty much go downhill from there.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:59 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

All I can say is all the points above are valid and if possible go elsewhere.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
pall2509 is on a distinguished road

also I would loosen, remove and replace bolts as preventive maint.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:58 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 club
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:206
sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

Id just go to another dealer or even a local shop and have it done, hopefully they dont mention it in any way, shape or form and then if they break it, it would be on them to repair free ! Any local shop would do it reguardless, they love the cash flow and competing with the big guys to stay in business. If any vehicle was out of warranty I would never go to a stealership they just try to rake you over the coals. A $300 job can be a $150 job at a local shop since they dont usually have high overheads, and get their parts locally..... Might not be OEM/Factory or Top-Of-The-Line Parts, but they do just as good of a job as far as hoses/gaskets go. Then again you can request high quality parts used for the added cost.