DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Midnight blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
Sirchris is on a distinguished road
Default Voiding the Warranty

Not sure where to post this, but I just got a new (2011) Ram 1500. the truck had 6 miles on it when I got in it. I've got full warranty and have never had a new anything this new(heck, even my kids were 9 months old when I got them) . I want to get more power (ie. Exhaust, Cai, etc.) but I would think most of this would void a warranty. I don't want to wait 100Kmiles to be able to do anything. Some parts will be easy to take off if needed like the cai, but the exhaust would be a little more difficult since I now have single exhaust. Has anyone run into this?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

single in dual out mufflers come stock on many Rams
Mopar also sells a CAI

they can't void your warranty because of a brand name

if you decide to go with the dual out, an Magnaflow is a good choice, there are other brands too
Magnaflow also makes an Y pipe that is not as restrictive as the stock Y
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 08-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Yeah, I know what you're saying about what comes stock on some trucks. And I'm looking through the Mopar performance catalog. It states that "The addition of performance parts does not by itself void a vehicle's warranty". Basically lawyers language for we'll do what we want in my opinion. I just don't want to spend alot of money only to find out that I voided any warranty I've got.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: Sport/Custom
Color: Black
Rep:32
Harleys BigRam is on a distinguished road

Here's what you need to know. If you take it to your dealer and they just tell you that you have voided your warranty because you added exhaust, CAI, or whatever then laugh at them. If something were wrong with your truck and you had to take it in, they have to prove that the mod they say voids your warranty is causing the problem you are having and if they can't then they can't legally void your warranty. Fight them with a little knowledge and they have to back down and take care of your vehicle. A lot of it depends on the dealership and who you are working with.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the info. It sounds logical. I didn't want to be in a position where I was regretting the mods later.
Thanks GT I'll check out Magnaflow
Old 08-19-2011, 05:25 PM
erm

Let me add my 2 cents worth here:

Both the buyer and seller have rights with respects to warranty recovery under the Magnusson-Moss Act. Basically, the seller (lets refer to them as the OEM for clarity) has to honor their warranty as offered unless the buyer has 1) abused the item, 2) replaced the item with an aftermarket part, or, 3) has modified the OEM part. So basically, they are not obligated to warranty an aftermarket part if it fails or an OEM part if you have modified it.

Now, for the buyer they have the right to expect the OEM to honor their warranty as long as the 3 conditions above are met. The OEM cannot blanket void a warranty simply because you have modified your vehicle unless the OEM part failed as a result of the buyer's modifications.

So, let's look at a couple of scenarios.

1. You buy a new Ram and two days later you put on a Cold Air Intake. Sometime later, your audio head unit fails. The seller has a warranty obligation is this case as the CAI did not cause the HU failure. (The seller would be foolish to try proving that one!)

2. You buy a new Ram and two days later you slap a supercharger on it. After enjoying the heck out of the new power, the engine blows up. Sorry but there's no warranty for your engine and the OEM does not have a warranty obligation in this case.

So mod the truck...go ahead...mod the truck. A CAI and exhaust will not void your warranty unless they cause damage.

So, forget about the cheapie eBay CAI's. Their filters come apart and sometimes pieces of filter media get sucked down into the engine.

And if you do an exhaust, let the pros handle the work to insure that the system is not installed too close to other parts that would fail due to heat. It's incumbent on you to make sure the installation is done correctly.

Go have some fun...
Old 08-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

That all makes sense. Now comes the hard part... deciding which brand to go with.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

And there it all begins lol have fun and keep us posted on the progress. oh yeah welcome to the club!
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 08-21-2011, 10:32 PM
erm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirchris View Post
That all makes sense. Now comes the hard part... deciding which brand to go with.
Yes, that is true. No one can pick an exhaust for ya. They call tell you what they like but not what you will like. You will get a lot of suggestions. Some answers will be very technical, others will just be about how it affects the owner.

Bottom line, you can ask for all the advice you want to ask for but in the end, you have to pick 'em.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Richie

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:12
LUBINATOR is on a distinguished road
Default Your Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Yes, that is true. No one can pick an exhaust for ya. They call tell you what they like but not what you will like. You will get a lot of suggestions. Some answers will be very technical, others will just be about how it affects the owner.

Bottom line, you can ask for all the advice you want to ask for but in the end, you have to pick 'em.

Michael, I have read lots of replys here, and yours always seem to be good judgement calls. Kudos for that. It's hard to offer good judgement rather than personal opinion.

Richie
RAM 1500 SLT QC 2009 INFERNO RED, ARE Lift Lid ,Spray on Bed Liner, K&N Drop In, Pioneer DEH P8400UB, Alpine Amp, Mopar Kicker sets in all doors and dash, 2 Polk 10" Subs, Polk AMP, SteelCraft Nerf Bars, Mopar Fog Lights, CalTrend Seat Covers, WeatherTech Front Mats, Putco SS Fender Liners, SuperBumper SS Hitch Step/Impact Absorber, Onki Aegis SS Center Guard, PIAA 2100 driving lights