DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
wvmtb is on a distinguished road
Default cat-back or replace muffler

I have a 2011 ram 1500. I like the way it sounds but i would like for it to be a bit louder. Not bust your eardrums or wake the neighbors up at night loud. Just enough to make it sound a little meaner. Performance gain isn't that big of an issue. The cheap way would be to just replace the muffler. What is the benefit of replacing the complete exhaust with a cat-back system? Is it worth the extra money?

I believe cat-backs systems are bolt on. I would assume you can just unbolt the existing exhaust (at the cat) and bolt this in place without having to worry about any leaks via a gasket. Am I correct?
With just replacing the muffler I would guess you have to have the old one cut out and the new one welded in place by a shop. Adding to the cheaper cost of just a muffler.

These might be some stupid questions but I'm at work and can't go craw under the truck to answer the simple questions. And I know next to nothing about exhaust work.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:539
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

The CatBack will give you the sound level you want,
the question is do your want to spend $450.

Retail price is around $900, Lowest price I've seen posted here is $450: http://discountperformanceexhaust.co...9-p-19977.html

Yes its a bolt-on you can easily DIY within an hour on your driveway. (Its actually only Muffler back)

If you do like I , and several others did and sell your new take-offs for $200, You're only out $250
not much more than muffler/labor for welded in, and keeps the stock crappy little tips

There's a few threads I've posted already with pics and video clips
Here's the most recent one (I think)

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=84922

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 08-19-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:39 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The "cat back" systems for your truck (at least magnaflow's) you have to cut off the existing pipe, then the new system can be clamped on....not real hard if you have a sawzall or similar. There are no "unbolting points" between the cats and muffler, except right at the muffler I believe. For your application I would recommend just swapping the muffler, I think it is clamped in, so you could easily do it yourself. The stock system actually is pretty decent anyway, the only two bad points are the stock y pipe and the stock muffler. If you get the "cat back" system you're essentially just replacing the pipe that's there with the exact same pipe, then adding a good muffler...If you want good sound and not too loud get a longer muffler (18" or 22"). There is a 22" magnaflow and y pipe for sale on this forum right now for like $120 I think, you could either resell the Y pipe or have a shop put it in for you (won't help sound much, but will give a slight performance boost). I bet the muffler cost more than $120. It all looked new just not installed.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:40 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I thought you had to cut the pipe shorter between the muffler and y pipe black ram hemi...^

Old 08-19-2011, 02:47 PM

BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

No cutting for the CatBack (Part#16869)

only Cutting would be if you want to swap out the Y pipe

You are also incorrect about the "exact same pipe after the muffler" Stock pipe after muffler is only 2.25"

The Cat Back has 2.5" Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel, and the Stock Resonators are deleted (about 15 - 20 pounds each)
and the Entire system also has a LifeTime Warranty

Do I even have to Mention the Tips that Are Worth $100 each on their own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
with just a muffler swap for $200+ you'd still be stuck with factory reso's and little single walled bean tin tips...

really Dodge?....REALLY?
if you're going to pull your tips out of the Caliber parts bin,
at least make the bumper cut-outs 4" instead of almost 7" LOL!

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 08-19-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
No cutting for the CatBack (Part#16869)
I stand corrected

Quote:
You are also incorrect about the "exact same pipe after the muffler" Stock pipe after muffler is only 2.25"

The Cat Back has 2.5" Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel, and the Stock Resonators are deleted (about 15 - 20 pounds each)
and the Entire system also has a LifeTime Warranty
I understand this, but he said he wasn't all that concerned with performance, so for all intensive purposes I think the muffler swap would be in his best interest (as far as $ for the buck). The stock system with a high flowing muffler would perform well, especially on an otherwise stock engine...

Old 08-19-2011, 02:59 PM

Most shops around here want $200-$250 to weld in a Magnaflow

Just saying it's not always cheaper

Mufflex makes a bolt in kit, but even that's $250 after shipping LOL

So there's stock w/muffler swap welded $250
Stock with bolt on mufflex muffler system $250
or Full CatBack, AWESOME 5" Twin Cannon Polished Stainless Steel Double Walled Tips, Full Warranteed for LIFE! for net $250

You pick

Old 08-19-2011, 03:05 PM

^true, but I know around me it wouldn't cost half that much to just have a muffler welded in. Some things are up to opinion too, like I personally don't normally care for exhaust tips, and think the stock ones basically look the same as the aftermarkets....but that's all opinion. I like exhaust to be heard, not seen...All depends what he wants and wants to spend....you laid out the main options for him

Old 08-19-2011, 03:05 PM

oh and I always seen to have a tough time selling stock parts...

Old 08-19-2011, 03:11 PM

Whatever Dude,

You dont even have a Sport with duals or a Hemi,
...no body wants your 4.7L SLT takes offs LOL!