DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 QCSB, 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
BadHazard is on a distinguished road

I see, so running 91 tune with 91 octane is safe for my stock engine? Or Should I run 89 with 91 octane? I'm assuming the 91tune has adds more timing to then the 89.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:14 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I've been talking with the guys at superchips for nearly a year, and they claim the only difference with the 91 and 93 tune is some more timing advance. They also told me when they dynoed them (both 4.7L and 5.7L and any other engine) that the 93 tune produced "no more real power" which means it's almost negligable. They said roughly 3 to 6 hp max for each. I gotta say that I don't really notice a seat of the pants difference, but I swear I get better mpg with the 93 tune, especially hwy....I just drove home and at 65 mph I was showing 24-25mpg on the evic (my evic tends to be accurate unlike alot of other pples reports). Of course my avg is still 18mpg lol
I own both 4.7 and 5.7 and you don't and I've tuned them both so I know the difference first hand and you don't, lol! The 4.7 was not built for high performance and the Hemi was. You can tune a Go Cart with both 91 and 93 tunes and I doubt you could feel any difference there either, so get rid of your Go Cart and buy a Hemi, lol!
Old 09-11-2011, 12:04 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
I see, so running 91 tune with 91 octane is safe for my stock engine? Or Should I run 89 with 91 octane? I'm assuming the 91tune has adds more timing to then the 89.
Yes 91 octane on the 91 tune is fine. If you hear excessive pinging is the only reason to up the octane you are using, or go to the lower tune.

Quote:
I own both 4.7 and 5.7 and you don't and I've tuned them both so I know the difference first hand and you don't, lol! The 4.7 was not built for high performance and the Hemi was. You can tune a Go Cart with both 91 and 93 tunes and I doubt you could feel any difference there either, so get rid of your Go Cart and buy a Hemi, lol!
Yeah, what do the manufacturer's of the product know anyway....it's only their product...

I find your and some others arrogance on this site very amusing. Let's bash anyone that has a vehicle slower than me, because of course they are worthless. Guess what, there are vehicles faster than yours. I'm gonna go in the v6 section and tell them all what a piece of crap their trucks are...or not because I'm not an ahole.

Yes the 4.7L is built for "high performance" the same as the hemi, if you want to call these trucks high performance vehicles. They both have almost identical hp/cid and tq/cid numbers...and guess what, take a stock 4.7L and stock 5.7L and give them both a tune and the 4.7L produces more hp and tq per cid....so I guess the 4.7L is the better engine...? No, they are simply both great engines.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes 91 octane on the 91 tune is fine. If you hear excessive pinging is the only reason to up the octane you are using, or go to the lower tune.

Yeah, what do the manufacturer's of the product know anyway....it's only their product...

I find your and some others arrogance on this site very amusing. Let's bash anyone that has a vehicle slower than me, because of course they are worthless. Guess what, there are vehicles faster than yours. I'm gonna go in the v6 section and tell them all what a piece of crap their trucks are...or not because I'm not an ahole.

Yes the 4.7L is built for "high performance" the same as the hemi, if you want to call these trucks high performance vehicles. They both have almost identical hp/cid and tq/cid numbers...and guess what, take a stock 4.7L and stock 5.7L and give them both a tune and the 4.7L produces more hp and tq per cid....so I guess the 4.7L is the better engine...? No, they are simply both great engines.
^^^^ I agree 100%. When I read this I had to reply. I could not believe that someone would actually diss someone elses pride and joy I had the 4.7 in my 2008 Dakota, it was a strong engine and with the redesign was actually referred to as a mini HEMI. Of course I love my current HEMI Ram but the 4.7 and 5.7 are both great engines. Nuff said,......
Old 09-11-2011, 12:33 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
^^^^ I agree 100%. When I read this I had to reply. I could not believe that someone would actually diss someone elses pride and joy I had the 4.7 in my 2008 Dakota, it was a strong engine and with the redesign was actually referred to as a mini HEMI. Of course I love my current HEMI Ram but the 4.7 and 5.7 are both great engines. Nuff said,......
Must have been a fast truck. I'd love to have a 2nd gen 4.7L manual trans dakota!

Old 09-11-2011, 02:00 AM

RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
This was a question from BadHasard, not me.

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 09-11-2011 at 02:07 AM. Reason: posted too early
Old 09-11-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:

Your comment says it all right there. This is not about what the manufacters say, it's about what you claim they say. I simply stated the differences between the 91 tune and the 93 tune and the affect it had on my and truck not yours, but you claim to know different. So let me get this straight...you don't own a Hemi yet you know what the affects of the tunes are on my truck and you claim I'm arrogant, lol! This is about your comments contradicting my findings about my experience with the 91 and 93 SC tunes on my truck. I was joking about the Go Cart thing, it's meant to be directed at your reply to what I said the affect of each tune had on my truck. I would have thought that you had a better sense of humor than than that but I should have known better. You speak as if the 93 tune is worthless as if a SC tuner would not be worth the purchase. You argued SC torque management that is available in the performance tunes by claiming there was no TM unless you purchase the advanced trans tunes and now this. Lol, dude when are you going to stop? You are not a SC rep and you know nothing from experience about the Hemi tunes. As for your knowledge of SC that you think you have over everyone else...I have news for you! You are not the only person here who has had contact with them over the last year. Owners have kept contact with SC ever since the 4th Gen came out. Scott Britton from SC started a thread on several forums in Feb of 2010 keeping everyone informed and up to date with one on one contact (chat) for q/a about it's features. And I've been waiting long before that for the 2002 Dak tune to come out. And I bought the 3865 when the tune became available in mid 09. I tested these tunes on the 4.7 with my tuner so I know the differences of the affects that it had on both 5.7 and 4.7 first hand and not from reading. The difference was so minimum that we set it to a 91 tow tune. Since there wasn't much diff in the 91 and 93 tune with the 4.7, I was hesitant to tune my truck with it. The Hemi tune came out in Feb 2010 but they were still tweaking the bugs out and the updates were still coming. So I waited till just recently to tune my Ram with it. But the Ram is different, I found a huge difference between the 91 and 93 tunes on the Hemi. Of course you, "know it all snrusnak" and Google Search champion of the world knows better, lol! There's nothing wrong with using Google to learn, I do it myself. But I never followed a boot Lieutenant who went by the book into combat and I'm not going to follow you on this forum. If you want my respect, go out and get your hands dirty and quit busting my chops. I was actually concerned that maybe your tuner was not up to date and wanted to share my findings. But, that's an imposible feat with someone who claims to know everything before you even say it, lol!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:25 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Satin Orange
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

Every Butt Dyno is different esp' for me with all the extra cushion.

EDIT: wrong thread.

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 09-11-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2007 1500 Mega Cab 4x4
Color: Flame Red
Rep:32
AZHunter86 is on a distinguished road

So let me get this straight, you'll get a better performance plus mpg gain on the 93 octane tune... and it's not a seperate tune all together between the performance and economy gains... I just wanted to get this straight since I'm thinking about getting the SC... how much would one of these set me back anyway, Cortex is what I'm looking btw
Old 09-14-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
So let me get this straight, you'll get a better performance plus mpg gain on the 93 octane tune... and it's not a seperate tune all together between the performance and economy gains... I just wanted to get this straight since I'm thinking about getting the SC... how much would one of these set me back anyway, Cortex is what I'm looking btw
Most people claim to get better mpg with the 91 or 93 tunes, so basically to answer your question yes. Remember you are buying more expensive fuel so you have to factor that in as well, but I compared my cost/mile with 87 octane stock tune vs 93 octane 93 tune and the cost/mile is cheaper with the 93 octane and 93 tune even though the price per gallon is higher. I think I figured out that in like 2 or 3 years it will have paid for itself. I bought the flashpaq it was $360, I assume the cortex is like another $100-$200. And yes we are not talking about a performance tune vs economy tune, the better performance and mpg is from the 91 or 93 tune.