window tint questions - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Dodge Dakota Dodge Durango Dodge Nitro Jeep
Diesel Forums!
Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Nitro Forum Jeep Forum
Dodge Challenger Dodge Charger Chrysler 300 Dodge Magnum
Dodge Caliber
Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum Chrysler 300 Forum Dodge Magnum Forum

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
Place your Ad Here!

Old 05-13-2017, 06:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 1996 dakota
Trim Level: slt
Color: green
Engine: 1992-1991 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 180hp
Rep:10
cornchip is on a distinguished road
Default window tint questions

its been quit a few years since I had any windows tinted. im sure a lot has changed in tint films in recent times and I know nothing about it. I thought I read something about the new vehicles having different type of door glass than older vehicles and different tint should be used or you may get window cracking. is there any truth to this ? whats the best type of tint film to be used on the new HD trucks front door windows ? im planning to get mine done in a week or so and want to do it with the right stuff, although I would hope the tint shop would know what I need but I figure I better do some research just in case. planning on the same percentage (what ever % it is) as the rear door windows
Sponsored links
Old 05-13-2017, 07:07 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Max Steel
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:43
paratrp is on a distinguished road

I am not a tint expert, but after researching and posting a thread on here for thoughts (you can search for it, the title is tinting advice), I ended up going with Llumar Ceramic. I went with the max allowed in Florida (it varies State by State), 35% on the rear and doors and 85% on the windshield (Llumar calls it Blue Lite) Some members have said that the tint on the windshield causes a hue for them around headlights at night, but I have not seen it. It does seem like the windshield tint is helping with the heat in the truck when sitting in the direct sun.

One thing that I do have to do is when backing up, I have to open the slider at night and will soon be getting a backup camera to aid with this. Also, at night if there is a dark small car on my side, it can at times be difficult to see them, but I do watch and keep track of what is around me, and have adjusted how I check my mirrors on the passenger side.

Overal, I am pleased with what I got. Was not the cheapest route, but here in FL, tint is much appreciated.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:23 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2929
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

The glass that they use now has UV Blocker in it & the tint material has changed too
You may have noticed that your bifocal glasses with Transition lenses don't work well in your vehicle.

( Windshields in today's vehicles block most of the UV rays that cause Transitions lenses to activate, or darken, so they do not activate inside a car )
Old 05-13-2017, 09:44 PM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star (MJX8)
Color: Bright White (PW7)
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:793
Thunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to beholdThunderhorse is a splendid one to behold

The tint shop I went to used Rayno S9; I got 35% all around and 70% on the windshield. You can't stick stuff to tint so for my registration sticker I got a cling that you stick the sticker to and the cling sticks to the windshield

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before:

After:

Not a huge difference in color, but it heats up way less in the sun. No problems seeing at night

Thunderhorse:
2013 Ram 1500 Lone Star Quad Cab 4X4. Bright White (PW7), 345ci Hemi V8, 8HP70, 3.21 gears (LSD rear). Mods list
Colt:
2015 Durango SXT Southwest Heat RWD. White Knuckle (PW7), 220ci Pentastar V6, 845RFE, 3.45 gears (open). Huskyliners, Catch can. Thread
Old 05-19-2017, 09:06 AM

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 1500 QC 8HP70, 3.92LS
Trim Level: Express 4x4
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:29
TruBlu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornchip View Post
I read something about the new vehicles having different type of door glass than older vehicles and different tint should be used or you may get window cracking. is there any truth to this ?
My installer mentioned this to me as well when I had my front windshield done. I don't recall him saying there was any special kind of tint required, but more so had to do with the way the tint was applied by the installer. Something about using the heat gun a certain way. I politely shrugged my shoulders, told him he's the professional and I trust, but did say "don't crack my windshield, dude" and went to the waiting area lol.

The most important thing is picking a reputable shop that installs the higher quality tints out there. I went with 3M's crystalline tint on all windows of my truck. It looks sweet and keeps my interior much cooler in the hot summer months.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:45 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express 4X4
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:418
h2oman is just really niceh2oman is just really niceh2oman is just really niceh2oman is just really niceh2oman is just really nice

My installer does high volume. A lot of high end stuff too. He knew exactly what was needed. After 5 years it looks like the day he installed it. Your guy should know.

Bilstein 5100's at 2.8. Fox 2.0 rears. MBC Razors with Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Airlift 1000 air bags. Mopar Tow mirrors. K&N air filter. Mopar rock deflector, WeatherTech Mats.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:54 AM
Watasha Outlaw

Vehicle: '14 RAM 1500 R.Cab 4X4 Shorty
Trim Level: TRADESMAN
Color: FLAME RED
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:550
Desert Ram is a name known to allDesert Ram is a name known to allDesert Ram is a name known to allDesert Ram is a name known to allDesert Ram is a name known to allDesert Ram is a name known to all

Good Idea to check in here

http://tintlaws.com/
Old 05-21-2017, 10:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2015
Trim Level: outdoorsman
Color: blue
Rep:10
Cire4492 is on a distinguished road

I went with %20 on the fronts and a % 5 brow. so far so good and it is now cool in the cab and my arm does not back to the center console.

Just my 2 cents

Regards
Eric B