DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 SLT 4WD
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
newdude22 is on a distinguished road
Default has anybody removed the front bumper ?

hey guys, i searched for quite some time and downloaded the service manual but I can't seem to get it to open.

Has anybody removed the bumper ? A friend backed into me, i ordered a new one and was ready to swap them out. I crawled under there today and it appeared my best approach would be to remove the 6 bolts attaching the inner bumper frame to the truck frame, Switch all the guts and foglights to the new bumper and re-attach the complete bumper assembly back to the truck frame.

Is it that easy or is there a better way ?
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi SLT 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Stone White
Rep:132
Upstater will become famous soon enoughUpstater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude22 View Post
hey guys, i searched for quite some time and downloaded the service manual but I can't seem to get it to open.

Has anybody removed the bumper ? A friend backed into me, i ordered a new one and was ready to swap them out. I crawled under there today and it appeared my best approach would be to remove the 6 bolts attaching the inner bumper frame to the truck frame, Switch all the guts and foglights to the new bumper and re-attach the complete bumper assembly back to the truck frame.

Is it that easy or is there a better way ?
The bumper is fairly easy to remove; download the body lift kit instructions here and it explains removal and reinstallation.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:01 PM
erm

That's pretty much it...if you have tow hooks those have to come off too.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:20 PM

Hey thanks for the help. I need more assistance though. Steps 7/8/9 listed how to take off the painted bumper and said that the chrome one (which i have) was different, but didnt say what to do about it. I took off the 6 main bolts attaching the bumper assembly to the Frame, and the whole thing wanted to come off but got hung up on the lip of the painted top bumper cover thing. Its pretty flexy but i didnt want to put alot of force on it for fear of cracking the paint. Do i have to remove the whole grille assembly and headlights to get off the bumper cover or is there an easier way ?
Old 10-07-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Hey thanks for the help. I need more assistance though. Steps 7/8/9 listed how to take off the painted bumper and said that the chrome one (which i have) was different, but didnt say what to do about it. I took off the 6 main bolts attaching the bumper assembly to the Frame, and the whole thing wanted to come off but got hung up on the lip of the painted top bumper cover thing. Its pretty flexy but i didnt want to put alot of force on it for fear of cracking the paint. Do i have to remove the whole grille assembly and headlights to get off the bumper cover or is there an easier way ?
LOL... Welcome to Ram engineering. The plastic cover on the top of the bumper has to come off to get the bumper off, and I'm pretty sure you have to pull the grill and headlights to get that off... the only thing that remains is a hard plastic piece that the painted plastic piece covers.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:19 PM

I may have figured out a better way. If I take the bolts out that attach to the frame, the bumper should drop straight down thus eliminating need to take off the bumper cover. I took the nuts off and was trying to pull the bumper (and bolts) foward and it didnt have the clearence to come off. The only hang up is the top bolt. I will never be able to get it back in place during reassembly. There are 4 holes but only 3 bolts on each side. Can i move it to the free hole for easy access? If I was to hit something head on, the front end would crumple like newspaper anyway, so i can't imagine it would make a structural difference.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I may have figured out a better way. If I take the bolts out that attach to the frame, the bumper should drop straight down thus eliminating need to take off the bumper cover. I took the nuts off and was trying to pull the bumper (and bolts) foward and it didnt have the clearence to come off. The only hang up is the top bolt. I will never be able to get it back in place during reassembly. There are 4 holes but only 3 bolts on each side. Can i move it to the free hole for easy access? If I was to hit something head on, the front end would crumple like newspaper anyway, so i can't imagine it would make a structural difference.

I honestly don't know if this would work or not... but it's not a big deal to remove the grill and headlights.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:25 PM
erm

^^^^ LOL..."Ram Engineering" indeed!!! ^^^^

2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8 grille replacement:

Old 10-11-2011, 05:19 PM

I got it all done over the weekend. It went pretty well except upon re-assembly i failed to realize that the headlight and top bumper were slightly out of whack until AFTER i was done. So i got to take it all apart again and fix it a second time. Thanks again for all the help, it was well worth my time to not have to pay somebody to do it for me.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I got it all done over the weekend. It went pretty well except upon re-assembly i failed to realize that the headlight and top bumper were slightly out of whack until AFTER i was done. So i got to take it all apart again and fix it a second time. Thanks again for all the help, it was well worth my time to not have to pay somebody to do it for me.
I'm glad it went well for you!