DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 05 dodge ram
Rep:29
countryb90 is on a distinguished road
Default Electric fan wiring

Good evening all so i was going to get the flexlite 183 set up but the price was alittle steep for me. I got a proform performance fan from advanced on sale it moves 2800cfm so i think that should do it. I bought the truck with a really cheap fan that didnt move half that and i haven't had any overheating problems. That fan burned out as it was wired to constantly run whenever the truck was on. The new fan has the whole wiring kit and thermo and everything included. My question is that it says to connect it to the ac so that it turns on every time the ac is turned on. My 05 dodge ram has a separate fan tho for the AC condenser so wouldn't it be pointless to have both fans kick on? I think i'll just leave that wire off but i wanted some more feedback. Thanks again yall.
Sponsored links
Old 08-24-2011, 02:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:309
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

First let me say welcome to the forum! Stop by the newbie section and introduce yourself and your truck if you get a chance, now onto the fans

I wonder more if it isnt to cool the a/c and more to help cool from the extra stress put on the engine from the a/c compressor running and creating parasitic drag.

Even if it is for the a/c system, i cant see it hurting anything other than making your a/c a wee bit cooler lol

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 08-24-2011, 06:36 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:184
ORT has a spectacular aura aboutORT has a spectacular aura about

The controller that I run on my electric fan also had a hook up for the ac. The idea is to help the fan get a jump on the cooling that is needed when the extra stress of running the ac occurs by kicking it on whenever the ac is turned on.
Sidewinder Cam/Edge Converter/Pacesetter LT's/SCT&SC Stack/Hemifever Tune/BFI #32/20% UD Pulley/Fastman TB/Triple Pillar/1 TonCooler/Sonnax/E-Cutout/Venom Hood/SRT Bumper/Roll Pan/HID's/Aeroforce Wideband/E-Fan/Hellwig/2" Drop/170 Stat/D&S Rotors/Remote Start/Hella 500's/5% Tint/Black Everything
Old 08-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Alright thanks for the replies i think i'll wire it in then wont hurt. Woulnt it be best to splice it right into the positive on the ac condensor fan that way whenever that fan turns on the other one would as well i think it says to wire it too the AC compressor but it seems like it would be easier and look better to do it right too the other fan. Thanks again should have that fan in tomorrow and hopefully i can get it all wired up.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

So i got the fan installed was alittle tricky but not bad. I did everything like the directions except when i connected the wire to splice into the ac system i did it too the wire coming off the ac fan instead of the ones going to the compressor. But when i turned the truck on the fan is always on weather the ac is on or not. Shouldnt it stay off until the thermo kicks it on? Im gonna call the Proform and see what they say it dosent really say how to adjust the thermo either theres a knob on top it says its adjustable from 180-240 but dosent say which way to turn the knob of anything i just put it half way inbetween. Any way If anyone knows what wire is the positive of the AC fan i assumed it was blue and white striped one and the black with green stripe was negative. Any help would be great really dont want the fan always running if it dont need to be. Thanks again
Old 08-26-2011, 01:11 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Hemi
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:296
BlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the rough

post some pics up to when its all said and done! like to see it and how much space you have
14" magnaflow with custom magna y-pipe, 8k heads and fogs, hella FF 500's, 5% tint all the way, 60" LED brake light, Smoked tails and 3rd, Ballistic Jesters in 275/55/20 zeon ltz, color matched handles/mirrors, painted calipers, L.E.D interior, debadged & Viper 5901, 180 t-stat