DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-23-2011, 12:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn Edition
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:137
mrboots will become famous soon enoughmrboots will become famous soon enough
Question How often do HID ballasts go bad?? 3 at once?!?! No way...

So for the last several months I've had two sets of HID's in my truck, a set in the fogs and a set in some driving lights behind the grill...and it's worked perfectly.
So I was messing around with some lighting towards the back of the truck (the only thing I did towards the front of the truck was hook a power wire to the battery).. and when I go to check everything only one fog light works?!

Does anyone have any ideas? Would 3 ballasts go bad all at the same time? That seems VERY unlikely to me. ANY advice would be great, I already miss all the extra light from the HID's and want to get it fixed ASAP. Tomorrow after work I'll try to troubleshoot and see if the problem follows the bulbs or the ballasts.

Thanks in advance, Carl
35% Tint, Flowmaster 40, Custom painted interior, Painted grill emblem, Custom CAI,6000k HID Fogs/6000k Grill lights, Custom bed LED's, Blue dash LED's, Engine bay/interior lighting, Custom audio, 4" Raptor Nerf Bars, Cooper Zeon LTZ's, Diablosport 93 oct. tune
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2011, 09:08 AM

And an update...I turned the truck on this morning and looked at the lights, and now NONE of the HID lights work. The fogs are out, which were plug and play, and the grill lights are also out, which are wired to the battery using a relay.
The switch in the cab gets power from the battery for the grill lights because it illuminates, but that power isn't getting to the lights. It certainly seems to be related to the fog lights being out, everything has worked perfectly until yesterday.
35% Tint, Flowmaster 40, Custom painted interior, Painted grill emblem, Custom CAI,6000k HID Fogs/6000k Grill lights, Custom bed LED's, Blue dash LED's, Engine bay/interior lighting, Custom audio, 4" Raptor Nerf Bars, Cooper Zeon LTZ's, Diablosport 93 oct. tune
Old 08-23-2011, 09:26 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Obvious first place is the fuses. But there probably is more to it than that. Good luck tracking it down. There are so many areas to look when tracking down HID issues. What brand are you using?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:34 AM

Yep, that's the very first thing I looked at. Not sure why one fog worked for a few hours longer than the other one though, that makes no sense to me.

And I'm using hidextra.com kits. They've worked wonderfully up until now, with no problems.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:40 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:115
HoosierHemi will become famous soon enoughHoosierHemi will become famous soon enough

maybe you could take each light and "jerry-rig" it straight to a battery to see if it's the lights themselves have blown. If they work then it's somewhere in the switching method, or bad connection of + and/or - contacts..............i'm not an expert but that's what i've tried in the past to test non-working lights.

2011 Black 1500 Sport QuadCab 4x4

Old 08-23-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierHemi View Post
maybe you could take each light and "jerry-rig" it straight to a battery to see if it's the lights themselves have blown. If they work then it's somewhere in the switching method, or bad connection of + and/or - contacts..............i'm not an expert but that's what i've tried in the past to test non-working lights.

So with the grill lights I should be able to say, run the power wire from one light straight to the positive side of the battery without hurting anything? I was thinking of trying something along those lines after work today also. Thanks!

Any ideas about the fogs, would the same thing work with them?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:31 AM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboots View Post
So with the grill lights I should be able to say, run the power wire from one light straight to the positive side of the battery without hurting anything? I was thinking of trying something along those lines after work today also. Thanks!

Any ideas about the fogs, would the same thing work with them?

I would rig a fuse in line before I did that just in case, but yes you should be able to directly connect to your battery and have them come on

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 08-23-2011, 10:46 AM

Ok thought so, thanks a ton guys! I'll try this as soon as I get off work today and post up the results.
As of now, the behind-the-grill-lights are driving lights converted to HID and I have them using the high beam wire as a trigger through a relay, then to an override switch, so out on country roads when I flip on my high beams they automatically come on and go off with them. It really helps out on dark nights.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:54 PM
erm

Yeah...I'd test to make sure it ain't the lights first.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:36 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboots View Post
Ok thought so, thanks a ton guys! I'll try this as soon as I get off work today and post up the results.
As of now, the behind-the-grill-lights are driving lights converted to HID and I have them using the high beam wire as a trigger through a relay, then to an override switch, so out on country roads when I flip on my high beams they automatically come on and go off with them. It really helps out on dark nights.
Something you might want to do is mount them on their own circuit w/ their own switch. It might be a little more work, but being able to control everything independently is always nice.

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING