DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Rep:81
gregster will become famous soon enough
Default The"Hemi Tune up"

I had the spark plugs replaced on the Ram today. I had 55,000km on the truck and decided to go ahead and have the plugs done. My dealership calls it the "Hemi tune up".

From the start I wasn't convinced I needed it, but I went ahead and had it done. After picking up the truck I have to say it feels a bit more peppy and responsive. Its not as big an improvement as I have heard others say, but its something.

Sadly, the plug replacement cost me $298 Cdn. I think we are suckers up here... paying more for everything!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:43 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

Yeah, we pay more for everything! But you have to take care of your truck if you want it to last.
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 08-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, best to get them changed. Curious how much of that was labour ?
Old 08-27-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
Yup, best to get them changed. Curious how much of that was labour ?
Here is the breakdown:

16 spark plugs: $5.42 each = $86.72
2.5 hours of labour = $213.28

The numbers look a bit odd, because they were obviously fiddling with them to get the whole job in for the $300 they promised.

In looking at my bill I notice that they now "recommend" I go for the "4x4 service, for a mere $546.88. Geeze...
Old 08-27-2011, 12:34 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregster View Post
Here is the breakdown:

The numbers look a bit odd, because they were obviously fiddling with them to get the whole job in for the $300 they promised.

In looking at my bill I notice that they now "recommend" I go for the "4x4 service, for a mere $546.88. Geeze...

The part that gets me the most, I can change the plugs in under 2 hours easily. Why does it take the pros so long ??

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 08-27-2011, 12:46 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:83
Drake371 will become famous soon enough

They must count the time it sits line to get the service done...I go to a local shop down here in the shop and I get my truck back in a hour...again I don't have a hemi either and out of warranty
Old 08-27-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
The part that gets me the most, I can change the plugs in under 2 hours easily. Why does it take the pros so long ??
The "pros" have to build in coffee-breaks, smoke-breaks, text-breaks etc.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:06 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The "pros" have to build in coffee-breaks, smoke-breaks, text-breaks etc.

I see. I have the coffee breaks, smoke breaks....but no texting breaks. It makes complete sense, so now I'm good with it.

NOT!

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 08-27-2011, 02:34 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

If they would have done the job in five minutes they still would have charged you the same price. They go by the book, their flate rate manual (forgot what it's called). If it says that it's a two hr job in their book then that's what they charge you even if it takes half the time and it's legal. At the same time, for routine maintenance like this they are supposed to give you a written estimate before procceding with the job and can not change the price without notifying the costumer before hand. However, let's say you tell them to change the plugs after they give you a verbal estimate for 300 and you do not sign an estimate for the cost. If you find the bill to be twice as high when you come to pick it up, your screwed. They can legally get away with doing extra work related to the tune up because you did not sign an aggreement for the estimate. (do not sign a blank one either) Their hourly charge is high, but two hrs to do the job seems reasonable to me. I wouldn't want someone rushing to do my tune up so he could hurry on to his next job. I don't know how it is at dealerships, but some private shops pay in commission. So the mechanic is going to try an do as many jobs as possible...same goes for body shop repairs.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:16 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Quote:
Here is the breakdown:

Thanks for the reply !! That's alot for labour, I'm actually looking foward to changing them myself when the time comes.