DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of
Default venting

I just needed to bitch and complain. If you don't want to hear about my troubles I understand, thanks for looking anyway.

Sometimes parenting is a real bitch! My 11y/o son has me pulling out most of my hair, and causing what's left to turn gray.

He's been on a roll of late. He's got this fixation with any sort of electronic device, i.e cell phones, portable game systems, computers, even electronic books/ e-readers, and the televisions. He's like a junkie trying to find one more fix.

He's been getting up in the middle of the night (if he even bothers to go to bed when told to do so), and doing everything within his power to either get online or play a game of some sort. He's extremely devious/ sneaky about it too. So far he's cracked the password on both the computers and parental controls for the televisions, cracked the password for our wireless router (we changed the passord so he uses a neighbors unsecured network instead), and we thought cracked the PIN for his mother's cell phone (turns out he snagged the phonen during the 5 minutes before the lock went in to effect). He's gotten caught on numerous occasions, but doesn't seem to care, if anything he's merely pissed that he got caught, little or no remorse what so ever.

No form of discipline seems to work, which is extremely frustrating. He's been spanked, grounded, had pretty much anything fun taken away, and yelled at numerous times. He'll be almost angelic while he's stuck in his room, only allowed to read books, magazines, etc and more often than not for a day or two after he gets ungrounded. It's then back to sneaking around etc. I'm not totally convinced he doesn't sneak around while he's grounded...

I'm seriously considering boot camp/ boarding school or a hell of a lot of alcohol (for his mother and I). I'm at my wits end. Nothing works.... am I raising a psychopath in the making?

I'm gonna go have a drink. Thank for letting me vent a little.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Sponsored links
Old 08-27-2011, 09:30 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like me when i was that age too! (im only 22, so it wasnt too long ago)

When he is grounded is it for a set ammount a time or one of the your grounded till your mother and I decide you can be a jhuman being again?

My paretns used to ground me for say two weeks, and 4 days later once I had been being "good" poof! there went the restrictions. It was totally inaffective cuz I knew I was never going to be in trouble for long.

This went on for maybe 4 or 5 months till I came home from schol one day and all of the TVs/Computers were in my parents room and their door had a lock on it lol

Its a total inconvienence but what if you take everything electronic out and put it in your room so it doesnt matter if he sneaks out of his room, there is nothing entertaining for him to do/see?

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 08-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

LOL
You think that he is sneaky now, wait until he discovers girls
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Dodge Service Manager

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Pearl Black
Rep:28
Rutger34 is on a distinguished road

Not that I am some sort of expert or anything but maybe find something to occupy his time instead of the electronic thing. Find something to do together to wear him out. A sport or club to go to together that you can mutually enjoy.

Just trying to help.
Injen Power Flow cold air, Truxedo tonneau cover, 3" carbon fiber antenna, Power locking tailgate, tinted front windows. Mopar sidesteps. 3M covering nose. Billet license plate cover, Blue LED interior lights, fully de badged, EZ down tail gate.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:44 AM

Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Luck View Post
When he is grounded is it for a set ammount a time or one of the your grounded till your mother and I decide you can be a jhuman being again?

My paretns used to ground me for say two weeks, and 4 days later once I had been being "good" poof! there went the restrictions. It was totally inaffective cuz I knew I was never going to be in trouble for long.
We've done it both ways. Usually he starts off being grounded for a few days or a week. He tends to quiet build up a head of steam for a few days biding his time. The week is more effective while he's grounded, but as soon as he's paroled it's back to doing as he wishes. This time he's been tild that he's grounded till he's 40, though I suspect he'll get a partial parole after about 10 days to a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
LOL
You think that he is sneaky now, wait until he discovers girls
That is what I'm afraid of! He is his father's son. I'm just glad I have a boy going through this, as I've only got to worry about one penis, and not every penis in the school as I would with a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutger34 View Post
Not that I am some sort of expert or anything but maybe find something to occupy his time instead of the electronic thing. Find something to do together to wear him out. A sport or club to go to together that you can mutually enjoy.

Just trying to help.
Been there done that. He'd rather play video games together than do anything else. I realize that there is a time for that too, just not again until he's at least 40!

We also take a Korean Martial Art called Tang Soo Do together. He's one belt ahead of me with a red/ black stripe (two belts away from 1st Degree Black). We'd be the same belt rank, if my work didn't keep interfering. To a certain extent he enjoys it, but to a certain extent it's too much like work, as you only get out of it what you put in to it.

I'd love to see him get involved in some sort of sports. I myself prefer baseball and soccer, but I'd go along with anything so long as we got out and played.... trouble is we've allowed him to become too much of a couch potato.

Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone. We'll make it through this, hopefully without the need for AA LOL

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 08-28-2011, 11:31 AM

Vehicle: Blue
Rep:3944
BlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond repute

Wow....you do have your hands full. I too suffer from electronic addiction but I also know I have to maintain a semblance of a normal life in order to pay bills. Seems the more you punish him the more he is driven to do it. Does he have chores and if so does he do them? Given today's society I would rather see him addicted to video games and electronics than out on the streets running with gangs or doing drugs. Lesser of two evils I suppose
Old 08-28-2011, 08:54 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone. We'll make it through this, hopefully without the need for AA LOL

AA IS FOR QUITTERS DONT DO IT!!!

(In all reality though, for the people that have their life changed and be put back on track by AA my hats off to them, it just makes a good joke when people need a laugh!)

I still say just take a hammer toe verything electronic in the house but the TV in your room. Hard to watch TV with no picture!!!!

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 08-28-2011, 09:10 PM

You make a good point Stacy, video games are better than drugs... except in this case video games are his drug of choice LOL

He has a few chores, that he'll do grudgingly and eventually... nothing too major. He has to clean his room at least weekly, clean up his own messes, and we have a self pruning pecan tree in the back yard that drops sticks (and sometimes small limbs) that he has to break up and put in a trash car so they can be put out on garbage day.

He's soon to find himself with many extra chores. I think child slave labor is a wonderful thing for children who are in trouble

I've considered taking everything apart that is remotely electronic, but both my wife and I tend to use both computers almost on a daily basis, and we only have 2 televisions in our house. One in the living room/ den, and the other attached to the PlayStation in what we call the game room. Both televisions have new parental control passwords (we chose something random that has no bearing on anything else in our life so I hope he doesn't guess 'em) with pretty much all ratings blocked (it's quite the PITA for my wife and I). Unless I've forgotten something all other electronic devices are under lock and key or (I hope) well hidden.

I think when I get back in town after my next trip (I should be getting called to go out of town tonight sometime) I'll visit the library and see if I can find a book by some shrink that is s'posed to have all the answers to these sort of problems

Exco
Bill
Old 08-28-2011, 09:28 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 club
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:210
sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

Military school.... he will hate it as much as you will love it !
Old 08-28-2011, 10:03 PM
erm

Instead of suppressing the energy he puts into all this, what's needed is to find another outlet for it.

Monitoring and measuring electronic device use, some approval to go online, etc....also let's him know he can do this but it has its limits. It can be used as a risk / reward item. (yeah, right...listen to the Internet Junkie here...LOL)

And don't rule out some counseling for the young man. Sometimes them kids will tell others what they won't reveal to their parents.

He's too old to sell now so yer stuck with him.