DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-28-2011, 12:59 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mod16 - Cabin Air Filter

NOTE - This mod applies to 4th Generation Rams Only!

Today I had a half hour of 100% free time. Not long enough to clean the truck, so decided to do a mod instead.

Cabin Air Filter

Here are the Dodge Avenger parts that were used.

I started by emptying the lower glove box, then squeeze the sides in to release the tabs that stop it from falling out.

Just lift up slightly and out it comes.

Looking in though the hole you will find the airbox with an outline that matches the cabin filter cover for an Avenger. When cutting out, stay inside the raised rib.

This next part is optional, but I find that removing the fan to be able to reach inside is very helpful in removing the piece you cut out. Here is what the fan assembly looks like when in position. I had already removed the back screw before snapping the pic.

Here I have marks the 3 screw locations. They remove real easy with a 5/16" nut driver. Don't forget to unplug the fan motor wiring.

About 20 seconds later, the fan is out. Hmmm....I wonder what the flat rate is to replace this item......

Here is looking up into the airbox where the fan normally sits.

The air box modification tool of choice.

This is the plastic after removal. I find it easier to cut straight across the bottom and remove/optionally remove the the small lower tab. It is completely unnessessary to remove this small lower tab, but the embossing is there, so I just couldn't leave it. No one will every see it, but 'I' will know it's there...

Here is the opening after all the knife work is done.

To Be Continued.......

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI

Last edited by brad12kx; 09-14-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2011, 12:59 AM
Just some guy in Canada

brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Time for the filter (p/n 05058693AA) . I'm sure they could have found a bigger box.....but....maybe not.....

Taking careful note of the air flow direction arrows, install the filter. It just slides in, and sticks out a bit (~3/4"). It's a little tricky to slide in, as the hole is partly blocked by the dash. I only took about 10 seconds of patience to slip it in with any damage.

Next, the cover (p/n 68052292AA).

Slip the cover in place, and press the 2 end tabs toward each other. They will 'click' once in place.

Put the fan back in (about 30 seconds) and this is what it should look like.

Here is comprhensive list of tools.

This mod took a total of 25 minutes. Had I not stopped to take pix, it would have been between 10 & 15 minutes.

Couple of items of note -

1) Make sure you have 'sharp' knife with a good point. I DO NOT remommend using a knife with break-off blades (even the HD version). You will be putting a fair amount of pressure on the knife, and a break-off blade would likely lead to injury.

2) Went cutting out the plastic, cut the bottom first, then the top. If you cut the top first, there is nothing substantial to hold the bottom, so there is some (not a lot, but some) risk of breaking the housing.

3) With the fan removed, you can easily reach inside to puch the plastic piece out. Wit the fan in place, you may end up droping the piece into the fan, and will have to remove it anyway, so for the 60 seconds it takes to R&R, it's well worth it.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI

Last edited by brad12kx; 08-28-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT- Lonestar
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:188
wolfman10 has a spectacular aura aboutwolfman10 has a spectacular aura about

Great write up! How much did the mopar parts run?

My Build: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=86853
Old 08-28-2011, 01:39 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Total cost was $45/00 taxes included. The cover is the cheap part...$11.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:50 AM

Trim Level: SLT- Lonestar
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:188
wolfman10 has a spectacular aura aboutwolfman10 has a spectacular aura about

Cool! That maybe a mod in the future for me!

My Build: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=86853
Old 08-28-2011, 02:47 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: white
Rep:199
Ryank has a spectacular aura aboutRyank has a spectacular aura about

Know did you do this becuase these rams dont have a cabin filter? or because its easier to maintence?
Old 08-28-2011, 03:02 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryank View Post
Know did you do this becuase these rams dont have a cabin filter? or because its easier to maintence?
Little of both. In the fall, my Hay Fever drives me nuts, so have always installed some sort of cabin air filter in my trucks. Also, I like to keep my truck clean inside and out, and a cabin air filter sure helps reduce the interior dust. In the case of the 4th gen Rams, this is such a great way to filter the air, as it also filters the re-circulated air when the AC is on max. The only 'difficulty' in changing the filter, is you have to remove the lower glove box, but that only takes 10 seconds....so not too big of a deal.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:46 AM

Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Great write-up sir!!! This is a good idea for any 4th gen owners.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:15 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

Have the cover, just need a filter!
Old 08-28-2011, 01:23 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1337
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

Nice mod brad! Seems simple enough.
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.