DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT- Lonestar
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:188
wolfman10 has a spectacular aura aboutwolfman10 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
LOL....It wasn't a freebie. I went for the hose reel, but made the awful mistake of walking by the K&N display and did an 'impulse' purchase. These things are pretty expensive, so I was hiding it from the 'Boss'.
Understandable! Nonetheless, that's a good hiding spot!

My Build: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=86853
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefred112 View Post
do you think it's farther back then the 3rd gen's.. i ran this way for awhile and it didn't seam to suffer in performance... back then when i was lightly modded I was still faster then most..
I believe it's back quite a bit further. The front of the air box is pretty much even with the front of the water pump.

The bottom is about level with the top of the head and about 4" from it.

As the OEM box has a decent sized intake pipe that is true cold air (ported and sealed to draw from the fender just behind the headlight), I think I would realize better gains from removing this accordion then from adding holes to the air box....although both is probably the best thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefred112 View Post
and talk about modding, we had a local gtg at sonics yesterday, talking to the guys, one of them just got a sharadon tranny he got from another Ram owner..one convo led to another and before you knew it we were driving the 1.5 hours back to my house and installed his tranny for him later that night...yea he was very happy with this mod..
Well that is bit larger 'impulse' decision than the one I made!
If I ever get a different DD and can keep this truck as my 'toy', I will likely go the Magnason route....which would lead to a trans issue...that would likely be best solved with something like a Sharadon.....Stage 3????

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 08-28-2011, 07:10 PM

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 4x4 SLT
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Rep:16
TerrysRam is on a distinguished road

I'd be real interested in seeing if you could replace the corrugated tubing with something smoother. You'd almost have a CAI like the ones you'd buy. Hmmm.....
Rain-X Latitude wipers; Custom bent Magnaflow catback; Volant CAI - with ram air tubing; EGR Vent visors; Line-X; driving lights behind the grill; Silverstar fog lamps; Silverstar Ultra head lamps; WeatherTech mud flaps; American Tonneau Company tri-fold tonneau; Diablo Sport inTune I-1000 DCX
Old 08-28-2011, 07:15 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

You could always cut out the bottom of the box and build and then seal your own intake tray with a tube running to the front bumper

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 08-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Just some guy in Canada

brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrysRam View Post
I'd be real interested in seeing if you could replace the corrugated tubing with something smoother. You'd almost have a CAI like the ones you'd buy. Hmmm.....
That's the direction I'm thinking on. I how the flex section is there to account for the engine torque an it's affect on the distance from the TB to the air box, so a smooth piece would have to accommodate this requirement. I have to wonder is a manufactured slip join from plumbing pipe would work in this application. It would have to have a good seal and maintain it with a lot of movement though....Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Luck View Post
You could always cut out the bottom of the box and build and then seal your own intake tray with a tube running to the front bumper
And it looks like there may be enough room to do just that. After I figure out how to get rid of the accordion, that will likely be the next item to mod. In both cases, I will do whatever I can to maintain the OEM look as much as possible.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 08-28-2011, 10:00 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
And it looks like there may be enough room to do just that. After I figure out how to get rid of the accordion, that will likely be the next item to mod. In both cases, I will do whatever I can to maintain the OEM look as much as possible.
What about silicon pipe? I used it for an intake on my camaro before. You can get it in pretty much any size and bends, it can be kinda expensive though.

Im sure you could find square tin to use for a CAI scoop as well, could even make it easier to tie into a monting location?

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 08-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Luck View Post
What about silicon pipe? I used it for an intake on my camaro before. You can get it in pretty much any size and bends, it can be kinda expensive though.

Im sure you could find square tin to use for a CAI scoop as well, could even make it easier to tie into a monting location?
Silicon pipe?? Where do I look for that? I'm intrigued.

I took another look at the air box tonight....but it got dark on me
I am going to look at the possibility of increasing the size of the front intake port (may be able to double it's effective size), and fabricating a new intake duct that utilizes both the existing factory upper fender location, as well as an additional location behind the front bumper. If I use the water float system out of a wet/dry vac in the lower pipe, I could keep it safe for those unexpected deep water events.