DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 2500 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
TruckerDave is on a distinguished road
Default Trailer brakes don't work?

I have a 2011, 4X4, 2500, automatic, truck with an internal trailer brake control
I was told that the truck foot brake pedal doesn't engage the electric trailer brakes until you are going at least 15 mph. When I hooked up to my stock horse trailer, I wasn't able to take it around the block for a test spin, but I did jack up the sides of the trailer. I would spin the wheels and the manual brake control stopped the wheels, but the truck brake pedal did nothing to the trailer. This leads me to believe that the 15 mph issue is true. This was also told to me by a trailer dealer.

Is this true, and if so, can I change that setting, so they apply at any speed by the foot pedal? When going down steep, dirt roads, with a horse trailer, with lots of switchbacks, I need the brake pedal to work all the time. I know I can use the internal brake control but I need both hands on the steering wheel.
Sponsored links
Old 08-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i would think that you could reset the brake control settings lower, like down to 1/2 of what the recommended setting is, then try it

then again, there may a wiring conflict at the pigtail

with some of my old jobs trailer brakes, if we connected up a chevy to do a job, we had to rewire the pigtail if it had last been towed by a different brand truck
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not aware of the 15mph thing. I do know the trailer brake controller is inertia operated, so unless you are moving, the only thing that would trigger the trailer brakes is the HSA (Hill Start Assist) if you have it turned on.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 08-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 2500 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
TruckerDave is on a distinguished road

Everything worked on the trailer....lights, turn signals, etc, except the trailer brakes when I used the truck foot pedal. I did move the trailer a short distance but only at about 5 mph and didn't get any response from the trailer brakes when I used the truck brake pedal. So, how do I get the brake pedal to activate the trailer brakes at low speeds? Is there a setting in the trailer brake control module that can be changed?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing you can change is overall setting to match the trailer weight, which may or may not affect the lower speed. I regularly pull 7000lb trailer, and I have the setting at 6-7 depending on the temp outside. I have never had any issue with the trailer brake controller...in fact, it's the nicest one I've ever used, and I think I've owned every unit there is at one time or another.

I think you need to take it out for a run and experiment with the setting, and get a feel for what it's doing. There may not be any issue at all once you get it set.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI