DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-31-2011, 11:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Hunter Green
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
ryan2001 is on a distinguished road
Default Outdoorsman review 2K miles in

Just a few comments on my first 2,000 miles in my 2011 outdoorsman CC. Going to give five Good Points and 5 Bad points to be fair.

The Good….
1. I like the hunter green color way more than I ever expected. It almost changes color at the light conditions change….very different than in the brochure or online. You must see it in person.
2. I love the room and features of the truck. While not really unique to the outdoorsman, the 115v outlet and Uconnect is very nice to conduct work in. The “lunch table” center storage top is also great for long trips.
3. I really picked the Outdoorsman package due to the lack of chrome….every single Ram I see around town has Chrome bumpers and grill’s. Not that it’s a bad thing, just wanted something different. The two tone paint and fender flares are also really nice. The flares are plastic and will not show any typical rock chips and what not so a major plus.
4. I like the standard LT tires…while a bit louder going down the road, they grip very well on and off pavement. Sounds strange but the 17” wheels also are a plus for me as replacement tires will be less and cost and to me fit the look of the truck.
5. My biggest “Like” is the room in the Crew Cab. It is cavernous. No problem fitting the wife, kid and 110lb dog for a trip out to the lake.

The Bad……
1. Coming from a car with HID….I feel the headlights lack a bit of something. Might think about changing out the bulbs to a brighter type.
2. Putting a child seat in the rear is a nightmare. The manual is not clear on what to do with the tether, and the fact that the back of the seats don’t fold down for this is IMO a stupid design flaw. The manual states there are metal rings to attach the tether to but they do not exist.
3. I have a crackling noise coming from the headliner just above the driver’s seat. Put my hand on it and it stops. Going to get it checked out…..but fear it could just make things worse or damage the headliner.
4. The Sticker on the outdoorsman package looks like something you would get from Wal-mart. My truck had crappy dealer installed “Forced to buy” pin striping they wanted to charge for. I told them to take it off and not charge me ($500.00) so they waved the charge and I left with pin stripes. This is easily fixed with a 3m wheel and some elbow grease. In fact just took the Outdoorsman and pinstripe off last night. I think it looks better.
5. An electric locking tailgate would be nice as a standard option rather than an add on.
Overall I am extremely happy with the truck. I have already done a few things like tint the windows, and installed a BakFlip Cover. It has proven a very useful asset to my job and family.
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 CC Sport 4x2
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:10
shepcam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan2001 View Post
Just a few comments on my first 2,000 miles in my 2011 outdoorsman CC. Going to give five Good Points and 5 Bad points to be fair.

The Good….
1. I like the hunter green color way more than I ever expected. It almost changes color at the light conditions change….very different than in the brochure or online. You must see it in person.
2. I love the room and features of the truck. While not really unique to the outdoorsman, the 115v outlet and Uconnect is very nice to conduct work in. The “lunch table” center storage top is also great for long trips.
3. I really picked the Outdoorsman package due to the lack of chrome….every single Ram I see around town has Chrome bumpers and grill’s. Not that it’s a bad thing, just wanted something different. The two tone paint and fender flares are also really nice. The flares are plastic and will not show any typical rock chips and what not so a major plus.
4. I like the standard LT tires…while a bit louder going down the road, they grip very well on and off pavement. Sounds strange but the 17” wheels also are a plus for me as replacement tires will be less and cost and to me fit the look of the truck.
5. My biggest “Like” is the room in the Crew Cab. It is cavernous. No problem fitting the wife, kid and 110lb dog for a trip out to the lake.

The Bad……
1. Coming from a car with HID….I feel the headlights lack a bit of something. Might think about changing out the bulbs to a brighter type.
2. Putting a child seat in the rear is a nightmare. The manual is not clear on what to do with the tether, and the fact that the back of the seats don’t fold down for this is IMO a stupid design flaw. The manual states there are metal rings to attach the tether to but they do not exist.
3. I have a crackling noise coming from the headliner just above the driver’s seat. Put my hand on it and it stops. Going to get it checked out…..but fear it could just make things worse or damage the headliner.
4. The Sticker on the outdoorsman package looks like something you would get from Wal-mart. My truck had crappy dealer installed “Forced to buy” pin striping they wanted to charge for. I told them to take it off and not charge me ($500.00) so they waved the charge and I left with pin stripes. This is easily fixed with a 3m wheel and some elbow grease. In fact just took the Outdoorsman and pinstripe off last night. I think it looks better.
5. An electric locking tailgate would be nice as a standard option rather than an add on.
Overall I am extremely happy with the truck. I have already done a few things like tint the windows, and installed a BakFlip Cover. It has proven a very useful asset to my job and family.

I am about 1800 miles into my Outdoorsman and love it! I agree with you about the headlights, although they are better than my Charger! I removed the black b pillar tape but not the Outdoorsman sticker, for some reason it just doesnt bother me too much. Other than a few creaks and rattles coming from the center console it has been a perfect ride!!! I feel ya with the tires, I have the "20 option and they are expensive. I have tinted the windows as well, added nerf bars and about to install a front bull bar and lights. I put on an AFE inatke and just did not like it, way too loud for me. I am enjoying the truck very much and look forward to many miles!!
Old 08-31-2011, 05:59 PM

Vehicle: 2013 CC Sport 4x2
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:10
shepcam is on a distinguished road

Hey
JasonK94Z,

I cant reply to PM because it tells me my post count is not high enough. PM me your email and i will send you a pic.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crewcab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman 4x4
Color: Deep cherry red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Second Life is on a distinguished road

Quote:
2. Putting a child seat in the rear is a nightmare. The manual is not clear on what to do with the tether, and the fact that the back of the seats dont fold down for this is IMO a stupid design flaw. The manual states there are metal rings to attach the tether to but they do not exist.

I have the same truck. The metal rings do exist. You have 6 metal rings, i circled them on the picture.

I've put my child seat in mine last week.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:46 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: paulhare123@hotmail.com
Rep:12
paulhare123 is on a distinguished road

I am a little over 3000 km into my 2011 Outdoorsman. I simply love it. The outdoorsman sticker was removed - the damn thing is near horrible - I tried to convince myself it wasn't too bad first because I was too nervous that removing it would leave residue. But, my friend removed his and it looked too sweet not to do it. I also had to get a stubby black antenna - the stock one is horrible.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 4x4
Color: Hunter Green
Rep:31
ryan2001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Life View Post
I have the same truck. The metal rings do exist. You have 6 metal rings, i circled them on the picture.

I've put my child seat in mine last week.

I have those....i am talking about the teather that goes up and over the back of the seat. The maual states there is a plastic cover that hides a metal ring of some type to attach it to.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:19 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crewcab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman 4x4
Color: Deep cherry red
Rep:11
Second Life is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have those....i am talking about the teather that goes up and over the back of the seat. The maual states there is a plastic cover that hides a metal ring of some type to attach it to.

Oops, my bad.

My child seat used those (the circled one) and i don't have the one that goes over the seat.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:36 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x2
Trim Level: Crew Cab Outdoorsman
Color: White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:38
MrPEZO is on a distinguished road

I think there is a strap/loop at the top to hook into.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:50 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Quad Cab Outdoorsman
Color: White
Rep:30
JasonK94Z is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPEZO View Post
I think there is a strap/loop at the top to hook into.
Yup. I believe those black canvas loops are what you are supposed to use for the child seat. There are 3 of them sticking up behind the head rests.