DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
kewlguy53403 is on a distinguished road
Default Compare These 2 Options Please

What is the benefit of the complete catback over doing the Y pipe replacement and muffler. I have a sport trim with a dual exhaust.

http://www.discountexhaustsystems.co...&descid=gooppc

VS

Magnaflow Y Pipe and Magnaflow 18".

Thanks again guys!
Raptor Step & Bed Rails | K&N | BakFlip HD | Halo Proj. LIghts | Recon Brake Lights | DDM HIDs | Big Rig Lights | Night Raider Taillight Bar | Volant CAI | Magnaflow 18 | MGP Caliper Covers | Lower Billet Grill | 20% Tint | Blistein 5100 @ 2.8 | 34" Tires | Dipped Chrome
Sponsored links
Old 08-31-2011, 02:27 PM
erm

Well, a muffler & a Y-pipe pretty much take care of the flow restrictions.

The flowmaster system you have shown there has no Y-pipe so you'll still have a restriction. It includes a muffler, new tailpipe and a resonator.

You already have a tailpipe and a resonator.

So, to achieve better flow, you'd still go with a Y-pipe even with the flowmaster system.

This flowmaster system will be a bit louder than the Magnaflow 18" muffler. I'm really interested in how this one sounds since it has a resonator on the back.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:35 PM

I wanted to throw that out there just to see opinions. The Y & Muffler are looking like $275 whereas they want $800 for the Catback. I wanted to see if it was worth paying the $525 for, if the flow increase would be worth it (even with a new Y pipe).
Raptor Step & Bed Rails | K&N | BakFlip HD | Halo Proj. LIghts | Recon Brake Lights | DDM HIDs | Big Rig Lights | Night Raider Taillight Bar | Volant CAI | Magnaflow 18 | MGP Caliper Covers | Lower Billet Grill | 20% Tint | Blistein 5100 @ 2.8 | 34" Tires | Dipped Chrome
Old 08-31-2011, 02:37 PM
erm

the pipe sizes, from stock to the catback system, are the same so really you don't need to replace all of it.

I think you'd be bucks ahead by just doing a muffler and Y-pipe.

Or, you may decide to do a single in/dual out muffler with new tailpipes. But you'll want resonators!!!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:57 PM

That's what I was thinking. I'm no expert so I wanted to check if I was missing something or not. My goals are 1) Better air flow 2) More fun to drive (I mean better mileage if you ask the wife).

The Y + Magnaflow 18 (because I prefer it) seem to be the best fit. Then the Volant CAI and I should be good until I'm out of warranty, at which point I'll get a tuner, if I can hold off that long.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:19 PM
erm

Sounds good! You may have to hold off longer than that for a programmer. I don't know that CJD will release the software on the 2011's...they've encrypted it and no one can get into it.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:04 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

I am very happy with my Y-pipe and muffler only swap!!!

http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=71908
Old 08-31-2011, 07:07 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

The Y pipe and muffler will get you what you want and you"ll have $500 towards your tuner already once it comes out.
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 09-01-2011, 05:09 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:554
BlackRamHemi is a name known to allBlackRamHemi is a name known to allBlackRamHemi is a name known to allBlackRamHemi is a name known to allBlackRamHemi is a name known to allBlackRamHemi is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
the pipe sizes, from stock to the catback system, are the same so really you don't need to replace all of it.
Why is there still so much mis-information about Cat Backs on this forum??
Last time I checked Stock tail pipe on a 4G is only 2.25"

Flowmaster CatBack image

Magnaflow CatBack #16869 also has 2.5" SS mandrel bent pipe

There is absolutely NOTHING the same as "stock" on the Flowmaster or Magnaflow CatBack kits after the muffler, except the hangers...

I dont know why I have to keep repeating this week after week and still mis-information gets posted here...again and again.

The stock dual system has smaller 2-1/4" pipe, AND a pair of 20 pound resonators and tiny (4" long x 4" Dia) cheap single walled chrome plated tips
(that look like they came from a Dodge Caliber parts bin) that are just clamped on.

If you choose the Right muffler to begin with, there is absolutely no need for factory resonators at all. Get rid of them!

Both the Magnaflow and Flowmaster Cat Back systems have:
- 2.5" Mandrel bent stainless steel pipe rear sections
- Eliminates the stock resonators freeing up weight and flow rate
- Finish it off with Larger Welded in Place Double Walled Polished SS tips. (that alone should be enough reason to buy)
- Extended/Lifetime warranty

The Magnaflows Tips are almost 12" long, 5" diameter Double Walled Polished Stainless Steel. Worth over $100 ea if purchased separately.

The Entire Magnaflow Catback system also has a Lifetime Warranty
The Flowmaster Cat Back has a 10 year Warranty,

Last time I checked stock exhaust is a wear & tear item and once rusted out you need to buy again.
(maybe someone with a Maggy CatBack can sell you their take offs for $200 LOL!)

I'm not sure about the Tip size on the Flowmaster kit, it doesn't specify.
They look larger diameter than stock, but not as long as the Magnaflow tips.

The Magnaflow 16869 can be found on line from $450-$480 if you search the forum. Many (like myself) sold their new dual take offs for $200 to recoup some cost
...that puts the net cost around $250-$300 for a DIY driveway install kit that bolts right in, no labor charges.

If your okay with stock tips, I guess just swap the muffler and be happy with those, your resonators and stock 2.25" pipe.

My old stock single walled chrome plated steel Sport tips that just dont fill the 6" diameter cutout properly

New Magnaflow Double Walled 5" Polished Stainless Steel Tip's are worth over $100 ea on their own

Stock

Magnaflow

07' Dodge Caliber R/T single walled angle cut tip ...look familiar?

Yup, that VVV looks like a Caliber tip to me Doh! at least teh Caliber tip was welded in place, the Ram is just a clamp-on afterthought

Magnaflow 5" Twin Cannons

Sound of the 22" Magnflow is great with no drone in cab,
about the same sound level as an 18" muffler if you left the stock resonators on.

Nice deep low rumble at idle, Hemi Roar at wide open throttle. <click for video>

In Cab WOT, with excessive tire spin <click for video>

No Drone Highway Cruise @ 100km/h (60 mph), avg 22-23 mpg <click for video>

Performance? yup , got that covered too (13.898@98.51mph)

The MAgnaflow retails for almost $900
So I think $500 is a steal! for what you get

http://discountperformanceexhaust.co...9-p-19977.html

Someone posted that AutoAnything had the Maggy 16869 CatBack paired up with the Y pipe (10778) for $546 with free shipping!

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/a...it3/ram007.jpg

If your Happy with a pair of useless resonator boat anchors, smaller tips, smaller pipe, limited warranty, and dont mind throwing money away on labor
because you have to pay some Midas hack for the welding...fine, just swap the muffler and be done with it.

If you want the more , you do Do get what you paid for despite what some like to tell you on the forum. Its most Certainly NOT the same as "stock"

If you sell your new take-offs for $150-$200 (like myself and several others here have done) you basically get all the extras for Free!
...and you can say you did it yourself

Dont want to be bothered to list your take-offs in the classifieds/craigslist for free? Why not take it to a local scrap yard for $50 and be done with it.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-01-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:21 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:109
Niko will become famous soon enoughNiko will become famous soon enough

I just today ordered my MagnaFlow CatBack 16869 and Y-Pipe 10778 from AutoAnything for less than $520. They beat the Discount Performance Exhaust price by $1. As BlackRamHemi has to keep pointing out, why stay boring stock when you can have those awesome looking tips and a lifetime warranty for just a little more money.
Others may not listen, but you sold me BlackRamHemi. BTW, thanks for the info. I just need to find a good performance exhaust place that won't charge me an arm and a leg. One place quoted me about $300 to install. Ouch.