DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Rep:30
11ram256 is on a distinguished road
Default 2011 Ram 2/4 drop. do's & dont's. advice welcome!

Just looking for input from everyone out there with a lowered 4th gen.

Im pretty sure im gonna go with the belltech 2/4 with the street performance shocks.

I know its been asked over and over but just looking for a solid answer from people that have this drop kit installed on a few things:

1. Is it a must to remove the factory bumpstop cups front & rear?

2. Any vibrations from funny pinion angles or anything like that?

3. Since the belltech has no solution for the track bar, is the axle shift to one side noticeable at all?

4. Ive had lowered trucks in the past so i know i cant expect it to ride like stock, but just wanting to make sure there is no crazy bumpsteer or anything like that.

5. Any other do's or dont's from you 4th gen lowered guys would be much appriciated.

I will be sure to post pictures once i decide on a drop and get it installed.
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

I have mine dropped 2/4....BellTech 963SP

It rides nice, and yes you do have to cut the front cups off, not the back.

The axle shift is slightly noticeable, but easy to fix....You can drill a new hole for the track bar or get it shortened! Also the sway bar ends are lower which can also be fixed with new holes

Old 09-04-2011, 08:14 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Hemi QC
Trim Level: sport
Color: silver
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:65
stricnine will become famous soon enough

Or you can fix the roll center without drilling holes on your truck by customizing your oem trac bar to adjustable and shorten your factory rear sway links
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (109.3 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (112.2 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg 006.JPG (105.3 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1907.JPG (85.6 KB, 228 views)
Old 09-06-2011, 06:29 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Some good info in this thread. Think I'm gonna subscribe just to see what knowledge unfolds.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:20 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mango Tango
Rep:113
HVACeR will become famous soon enoughHVACeR will become famous soon enough

I just put on the Bell Tech 2/4 Drop on my '10 QC and I'm a suspension newb so I'll give you my take on it. As always, YMMV
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ram256 View Post
1. Is it a must to remove the factory bumpstop cups front & rear? I don't know if it's a must, but the new bump stops are shorter (especially the fronts). The instructions say to use either a grinder to sawzall, I highly recommend the sawzall option, I tried both and the sawzall was much quicker and cleaner.

2. Any vibrations from funny pinion angles or anything like that? I've got about 100 miles on it after my install, both highway and city and no issues yet. Maybe one of the guys with more time can give you their opinion.

3. Since the belltech has no solution for the track bar, is the axle shift to one side noticeable at all? Like Timmy said, it is slightly noticeable, but it hasn't driven me crazy yet, time will tell if I'm going to buy an adjustable track bar.

4. Ive had lowered trucks in the past so i know i cant expect it to ride like stock, but just wanting to make sure there is no crazy bumpsteer or anything like that. No crazy bump steer and the roads in Southern Illinois have some crazy bad spots.

5. Any other do's or dont's from you 4th gen lowered guys would be much appriciated.
Do make sure that you have a wide variety of metric sockets, a torque wrench capable of over 130# is a must, metric box end wrenches, a pickle fork, and lots of patience.

I will be sure to post pictures once i decide on a drop and get it installed.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:33 PM

916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

Mine has a few thousand miles and so far so good....The only thing I have learned from others is....

Do something about the sway bar end links....they will get worn out and break without being corrected...I know a truck with 15,000 miles on his kit and he is on his third set...now he has shorter links....Also the track bar mod will help the truck ride a little smoother from what he tells me.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

i appriciate the help guys! Is there any solution to shorter endlinks/track bar besides modifying your oem links/track bar?? I really dont want to modify any of the oem parts on a truck with 500 miles on it. haha
Old 09-09-2011, 12:53 AM

Nope.....It will be fine, but you might end up buying new end links down the road....not too pricey, just an unnecessary hassle
Old 09-09-2011, 01:45 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2wd Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Rep:10
P Rod is on a distinguished road

11Ram256: First off, I am in no way trying to talk you out of buying Bell Tech.... I installed the Ground Force 2"/3" drop over about a month ago and like you was leary of cutting or grinding on my new truck. With the Ground force Kit you do not have cut off your bump stop cups. The only mod is to drill a new 1/2" holes to relocate the swaybar link. I am very happy with the way my truck rides and Very Happy with the way my truck looks. I am sure you will be too with whatever kit you buy. Here is some pics I posted weeks ago.

edit: as far as tips go, when removing my ball joints I removed the nut completely then reinstalled it about 3 or 4 turns,put the socket over the nut (which has a built in flange) and hit/tap the socket with a mallet a few times and the joint pops right off.I didn't need the pickel fork. I also used 4 jack stands to hold the front end up for extra saftey.

Few pics of install and parts. Again the spring compressor was a big help for me working alone. Maybe for a couple guys you would not need it. Overall everything went well. No F-bombs, No throwing wrenches, and no scraches or dents. Thanks for all the tips guy's.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by P Rod; 09-09-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

after some more research im leaning towards the 2/4 economy mcgaughys kit. It comes with shorter endlinks and the trackbar relocator. I have heard of a few people having problems getting the bolt holes to line up on the relocator bracket but that should be an easy fix anyways.

Some have said that the rear springs are pretty soft with the mcg kit but since i rarely do any towing i think it might actually be benificial for daily driving comforts. A set of helper bags will solve any towing problems anyways if i should need them.

I have also seen pictures of the mcg on a quad/crew but none of a regular cab like i have. The quad/crew seems to sit slightly lower in the rear but im hoping with the reduced weight of the regular cab it will sit level. If not, then just put a little air in the helper bags. problem solved.

Sorry for typing a book, just trying to get as much input as possible before i decide which kit to get. Thanks for the help guys!