Looking for 1" drop in the rear - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 05-02-2017, 11:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2017 RAM sport QC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Delmonico Red
Rep:26
SmoothVanilla is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for 1" drop in the rear

Hey everyone. So With my new truck I have decided not to go back to the gf 2/3 full drop (for now). On my last truck I had the 2/3 drop and loved it but I have decided to leave the front alone on this one. I am looking to just remove SOME of the goofy rear end rake. I don't want it to actually sit level or close to level. Before my 2/3 was installed I had the mcgaughy's 2" rear drop springs and although I did like them I found the front always looked higher, even though the measuring tape didn't agree lol. I seen that Crown suspension makes a 1" rear drop spring for 2wd but I believe 4wd springs are the same in the rear, correct me if I am wrong. So I have been thinking about rolling the dice on those with some lowering shocks I guess. I think my only other option would be to cut the factory springs a small amount? I am open to any ideas Thank you.
2017 RAM sport QC 4x4 3:92 LSD Delmonico Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017, 05:25 PM

Vehicle: 2016 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
Terry Olson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothVanilla View Post
Hey everyone. So With my new truck I have decided not to go back to the gf 2/3 full drop (for now). On my last truck I had the 2/3 drop and loved it but I have decided to leave the front alone on this one. I am looking to just remove SOME of the goofy rear end rake. I don't want it to actually sit level or close to level. Before my 2/3 was installed I had the mcgaughy's 2" rear drop springs and although I did like them I found the front always looked higher, even though the measuring tape didn't agree lol. I seen that Crown suspension makes a 1" rear drop spring for 2wd but I believe 4wd springs are the same in the rear, correct me if I am wrong. So I have been thinking about rolling the dice on those with some lowering shocks I guess. I think my only other option would be to cut the factory springs a small amount? I am open to any ideas Thank you.
I've been waiting to post, being no expert, but seeing no other responses I'll weigh in. First, I have the same McGaughy's springs and I've noticed the same thing - doesn't look a half-inch higher in the rear sometimes and from some angles. That said, I like mine and I've left them alone.

Reading other threads, and having cut a spring or two in my day, I can say that you can cut your stock springs but it will be a trial and error process which will require several cuts so you sneak up on the perfect ride height rather than passing it. This said, you're giving up capacity whereas a shorter aftermarket spring makes up for shorter ride height through a progressive spring rate. No doubt you can cut, but I'm not sure it's a "good" idea.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:35 PM

Vehicle: 2016RCLB4x4/44-45
Trim Level: Tradesman w/3.92 LSD
Color: White
Rep:999
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Have you tried looking at TufTrucks 1210L Coil Springs?
Old 05-08-2017, 06:55 PM

Terry I agree with everything your saying. That's the main reason why I have not just cut them and be done with it lol. I know deep down there HAS to be a better solution. Gantman I absolutely have looked into that kit several times. unfortunately for me there seems to be almost 0 feedback on the product other than guys saying it's expenisve for what it is lol. If my truck doesn't look nose up all the time and I can still carry things I don't care how expensive it is lol. Like I said I like the mcgaughy springs for the price of them, but I found myself wanting to and eventually lowering the front end because of how it sat. This time around I think I am happy with curb jumping height lol I would just like 1" or so less rake in the rear. Thanks guys for the posts
Old 05-08-2017, 07:36 PM

There's a post about adding 1" of lift in the rear and talk about a spacer for this. Maybe you can use this WITH the McGaughys drop springs?
Old 05-09-2017, 02:53 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Dakota
Color: Amber Fire
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:14
geneticrex is on a distinguished road

Maybe try the 2" McGaughy's springs in the back and just drop the front 1" with the Crown springs.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:34 PM

Terry do you know where that thread is? I have looked for spacers but They all seem to be 1.5-2" as well lol.
geneticrex the crown 1" front drop is for 2wd only lol. Thank you though.
maybe I just live with it as it is lol. it isn't horrible, just takes some getting used to from certain angles LOL
Old 05-09-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothVanilla View Post
Terry do you know where that thread is? I have looked for spacers but They all seem to be 1.5-2" as well lol.
geneticrex the crown 1" front drop is for 2wd only lol. Thank you though.
maybe I just live with it as it is lol. it isn't horrible, just takes some getting used to from certain angles LOL
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=234962
Old 05-10-2017, 07:58 PM

I will look into that thank you!
Old 05-22-2017, 12:39 PM

In case anyone cares here is an updated picture of how my truck is turning out lol

I am liking the color more and more every day lol