DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
2marlinman is on a distinguished road
Default Interior Squeaks and Rattles!

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here so if these questions are redundant please excuse my rookie status here! I have a 2009 Ram 1500 TRX4 crew cab with approx 24,000 mi.

1) IP (instrument panel): Ever since I bought this truck I have had a rattle/squeak in the center trim bezel area. I have removed it and applied felt tape strips to areas where plastic touches plastic, but nothing I have done fixes this issue. Has anyone has this problem? Dealer fixes? Personal fixes?

2) Headliner: I have noticed that the headliner is loose on mine and almost all 2009 Rams I have seen. It is most noticeable where the b-pillar and headliner meet, basically at the drivers left ear! When hitting bumps the headliner shifts up and down making annoying rubbing sounds. Has anyone has this problem? Dealer fixes? Personal fixes?

3) Front Doors: Both front interior door panels feel loose in the grab handle area when opening and closing. I removed both and found the design flaw! Made some simple changes and it works for a while then gets loose again. If anyone is interested in this fix let me know! Otherwise, has anyone has this problem? Dealer fixes?

Thanks, and I am excited to hear from all of you!
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Austin Tan Pearl &Lt. Graystone Pearl
Rep:27
theweavman is on a distinguished road

hi, welcome
I have experianced the noise in the center bezel, center counsel area..... I've taken it all apart about 10 times, and taped, padded, tie wrapped, etc. everything that i found that could wiggle or move...still have this annoying noise, that i can't find....Everytime I hit a rough section of road, I get this creeking, electrical sparking kind of sound....not really electrical, just sounds kinda like that..... I imagine some day I will find the cause....it bugs the poop out of me however....Only real issue I have with my truck
Old 08-29-2011, 08:55 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Jeep Wrangler
Trim Level: Unlimited Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:40
Mudder is on a distinguished road

I will join in you guys pain. I have the same issue as mentioned above. I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow for that very reason.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Rep:73
Dustinmc15 will become famous soon enough

Yep, I've noticed some noises from the instrument panel as well, haven't been able to isolate in though.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks guys, now I know I am not crazy! I used to work as an interior plastics design/engineer so I am somewhat familiar with these issues and this is probably why I notice it.

Mudder: I noticed you own a 2011 Ram so obviously they have not improved some interior issues over the last 2 model years. This means they either have no reason to improve it because nobody complained to the dealers or they don't know how to fix it!

Center Trim Bezel: I have the SLT interior theme on my TRX4, so I have the bezel with matte black center and silver painted vertical sides. I don't know if this is the problem, but I noticed that the main bezel pieces are 3 separate parts with the silver painted ones (heat staked) to the matte black one. This is very typical in the industry but under twisting loads the materials squeak against each other! They added many clip towers to make the bezel ridged avoiding twisting loads, but something is not right hence the squeak sound. Do you guys have any ideas on fixing this? If Chrysler gave the supplier the complaint and some money they can easily modify the design clearances and produce new parts that will not squeak.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:39 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Jeep Wrangler
Trim Level: Unlimited Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:40
Mudder is on a distinguished road

Well, I'm fresh from the dealer and they got my rattle fixed. The culprit for me actually wasn't in the dash, it just sounded like it was as I guess it echoed down the windshield and off the dash. It was actually a loose screw holding in the drivers side sun visor under the plastic clip.

Anyway, I'm just pleased to get it taken care of. Hope you guys get yours sorted out.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:07 PM

I don't think mine is coming from the bezel, it sounds like it is located more forward and down closer to the floor, somewhere, perhaps inside or hidden by the heater unit, I have had everything apart that I could get to, can't get to this area without pulling the entire counsel and possibly all the heater and heater ducts out... Didn't want to tear my entire truck apart.... I used several different products to silence and secure everything I could access, but As I mentioned, I haven't found the exact source of my noise yet, but thanks for the different Ideas, it almost sounds like it's the shift linkage, but it's not that either
Old 08-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Mudder: Glad to hear your dealer fixed the issue for you. I don't have problem in that area so mine must be somewhere else. Here in metro detroit i can't find a dealer that cares enough to fix squeak and rattle issues on the interior.

theweavman: My issue is not that low in the dash area and my truck does not have the optional bucket seats with center floor console!

Does anyone have a loose headliner or loose front door panels? These are my biggest complaints!

Also, the front pass door panel rattles like crazy if your door panels are loose and it sounds like a dash/console rattle from the driverside! I had a friend simply put his knee on the door panel and the rattle vanished...
Old 08-30-2011, 01:12 PM

My door panels are fine, but I know that sometimes they leave out or break the push in plastic panel holders, don't know exactly what they are called, you could pull the panel and check them, or if it is a really big problem, you might consider drilling some small holes and putting in some screws, like the factories used to do, you could spray paint them first to match the trim panels so they would barely show
I had a rattle in my headliner, I think it was from a wire going to the over head counsel, that would move against the headliner when a bump in the road was hit, it seems to have stopped now on it's own