DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram – 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L (287 cu in) PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-04-2011, 12:36 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORT View Post
Don't beat yourself up over it, that's for sure. If I had a $ for every time I have heard guys having an issue after changing the trans filter, well I would still be poor but wouldn't be as poor as I am now. It is so common that they should really include some info about the seal in the box with the filter.
LOL, well, its kinda one of those LOLWTF moments. Like when my dad (a mechanic for 30+years) rebuild a 383 stroker and forgot to torque the rod-end caps to spec.

Anywhoo, I just wanted the OP to be aware, so he doesnt make the same mistake, and then subsequently post up a thread on "Why doesnt my truck move?" OP, hope we got the info to u before its too late

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

thanks guys, info is much appreciated! So no gasket, and two filters....should be fine.

What type of sealant specifically should I buy? I've used a few types for different applications but don't know if there is a specific type I should use for a gasket?

I'll figure out the fluid, prob go with the castrol at autozone. I use RP oil in my bike, it unbelievably made a difference in operating temperature, and I really think it is a better product, but I don't know how much difference it'll make as everyone basically says trans fluid is trans fluid.

Filters should be easy, I've done tons of services on gm vehicles, I assume it'll be similar. I also never changed that metal ring with the rubber lip on the gm's because of fear of breaking it....the only thing is I worry about the rubber lip not sealing properly....but I'm sure it's fine...thanks for the tip! Is the second filter also in the trans accessible once the pan is removed?

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:16 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:184
ORT has a spectacular aura aboutORT has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Is the second filter also in the trans accessible once the pan is removed?
Yes, they are both right there when you drop the pan.
Sidewinder Cam/Edge Converter/Pacesetter LT's/SCT&SC Stack/Hemifever Tune/BFI #32/20% UD Pulley/Fastman TB/Triple Pillar/1 TonCooler/Sonnax/E-Cutout/Venom Hood/SRT Bumper/Roll Pan/HID's/Aeroforce Wideband/E-Fan/Hellwig/2" Drop/170 Stat/D&S Rotors/Remote Start/Hella 500's/5% Tint/Black Everything
Old 09-05-2011, 09:33 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

thanks! I will be taking care of this next weekend. I wanted to do it this weekend but didn't get to it and still need to change oil and rotate tires today amongst all other things we are doing. I swear I could take the summer off and still not have enough time to get things checked off the list lol.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:13 AM
US Army Retired

ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

PCV Valve (u asked in your PM) is a dealer only part. Unfortunately I have not found one anywhere else. I just pulled mine out and cleaned it and the TB with Carbuerator cleaner, and once she rattles again she is good as new .

I sent you some info on RTV Silicone, I would go with orange or red on a trans pan or engine oil pan. Basically anything that heats up, red/orange is the way to go. Valve Cover's, Pan's, everything.

The filters are super easy to get to. Be sure to let your RTV Silicone dry for 30 minutes before refilling and a full 12 hours before driving more than a mile or 2.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 09-05-2011, 02:24 PM

thanks, I now remember our previous conversation about the pcv valve, I'm going to the dealer tomorrow I'll pick one up while I'm there as long as it's not too pricey. I've used some rtv stuff I swear it was called "gasket maker" and was grey, used it on my s10 rear diff cover. Worked great but I didn't buy it it was handed to me. I'll look for the stuff you mentioned.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:46 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

How much trans fluid will I need to buy for this service?
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 09-05-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
How much trans fluid will I need to buy for this service?
I don't know right now but after I buy everything and do it next weekend I'll let you know.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:20 PM
US Army Retired

You will need 8 quarts for a drain/refill and filter change.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:40 PM

So I have confusion/issues now with this trans service...

I went to autozone to buy the trans filters and such and here's what came up in the computer:

2010 Dodge Truck RAM 1500 SLT 2WD
8 cylinder 287/Q4704 P 4.7L Flex Fuel

Duralast
Part # TF164
This one was a single filter (the flat one) and a gasket

or

2010 Dodge Truck RAM 1500 SLT 2WD
8 Cylinder 345/Q5654 T 5.7L SFI Hemi OHV

Duralast
Part # TF349
This one was both filters (flat one and oil filter looking one) and I think also a gasket