DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Rep:73
Dustinmc15 will become famous soon enough

He could have been up shifting manually taking advantage of 2nd prime, that would explain why he blew past you in 2nd gear.
Sponsored links
Old 09-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Find em hot leave em wet

Vehicle: 12 RAM 1500 qc 4x4 HEMI
Trim Level: express
Color: bright silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:204
moparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura about

Also you never know what hes doing under the hood. Simply a muffler or cat-back exhaust mods do little to nothing. If he had a good intake and a programmer w/ a 91octane tune and all you had was stock hed blow your doors off
Old 09-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram lonestar
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Red
Rep:46
garner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmanicac View Post
Also you never know what hes doing under the hood. Simply a muffler or cat-back exhaust mods do little to nothing. If he had a good intake and a programmer w/ a 91octane tune and all you had was stock hed blow your doors off
The guy the OP raced can't have a tune cause no tunes are out yet for the 2011s and the OP has a tune so even then it wouldn't make a difference
Best time: 14.7402 @87.53 on bald goodyear fortera sl 285 45 22 in 2500 DA. Corrected to 14.301 @ 90.28
Old 09-09-2011, 12:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'd bet he has 3.55 then....that's why you got him off the line but he went by you later. Is his stock? How long did you race. If you stopped shortly after shifting, he would have a gearing advantage at that moment just before....for example....I raced my friends 2011 RT (4.10 gearing) with my quad cab 4.7L (3.55).....we weren't really racing, just happened to be next to each other at a roll, I don't remember but say like 40mph.....we both floored it and he did not pull away from me...why? because I went down to first gear and was at roughly peak torque/hp, whereas his truck did not downshift and he was not at a very high rpm and was not near peak torque/hp....if we would have raced for more than a few seconds he would smoke me but at those particular circumstances I had a gearing advantage...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Hemi, Deepwater Blue
Color: Blue
Rep:10
Bluedodge0986 is on a distinguished road

He opened his hood, didnt have a CAI, all he had was exhaust. He said it was flowmaster 10 series. I on the other hand have DS-P had it tuned to the 87(?) octane (thats the gas I had in the truck) and a CAI, with Flowmaster 40 series. I don't know what gears he had. We started at 40mph. Then from a dead stop, we raced several times. I had a buddy riding with me he filmed the whole thing, but its a 15 minute video. Im trying to get him to e-mail it to me, so I can edit it and put it on here. According to the guy I raced, he bought the truck as it was when me and him raced, he hadn't done anything to it. I didn't feel to confident in my truck after racing him. I put alot of money into trying to make it faster, but he smoked me after we hit second gear. I got him in the top end though cause his truck topped out at 107mph. I got my truck up to 125, (thats what the speedometer read) but after my needle hit 125 my truck was still pulling away. After he topped out he was at least 4 lengths ahead of me then when I caught up to him I flew past him. Im gonna call diablo today and see about tuning my truck to the setting so I get better performance. Also a side note, my buddy just got an '08 hemi, with SRT-10 hood, sunburst orange, and flowmaster exhaust. He is confident that he will beat me in a race, I told him he is out of his mind. My truck is stock with 390hp, his is stock with 345hp. I will let yall know how that race goes!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:47 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The 87 tune won't give you much performance if any at all. I believe the 87 tune you will actually lose performance, they told me that they give the option of the 87 tune so you can run 87 octane safely (hemi is supposed to run 89 technically). If you went to stock tune you'd probably be more even, if you did a 91 or 93 performance tune you'd probably do a little better in the race. Intake and exhaust honestly don't do a whole lot by themselves....maybe 10-20 hp peak (at most) for just a simple intake and muffler (and a flowmaster really doesn't help performance at all since it is chambered/baffled). I'd guess your flowmaster did nothing for performance, and your intake might add 5-10 peak hp, and the tuner was taking away 5-10 hp...

Old 09-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Hemi, Deepwater Blue
Color: Blue
Rep:10
Bluedodge0986 is on a distinguished road

Hmm.. I did not know that about the 87 octane tune. Now that I know I will probably never use that one again. What muffler would you suggest to help get me better performance? Also I have a RacelandUS E-Cutout, which when open and I get on it, it sounds badass. But I have noticed with it open, I loose power, with it closed it has better ass to it. LOL, when I was racing him I had it closed the whole time.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:59 AM

With the electric cutout you should gain power over the muffler....doesn't make sense why you would lose power....is the rest of the exhaust stock? Look into "straight through" type mufflers, they have almost no restriction....magnaflow is the best IMO, dynomax is also good, there are others also...Don't expect a huge gain from just a muffler, you may pick up 5hp or so though....The main reason for a free flowing intake/exhaust is to support other mods that need to move that air in and out of the engine. Manufacturers play games with advertising....if it says an intake gives 15 max hp gain! well that might be at 1,000rpm, and you maybe only gain 1hp at peak rpm...or heck maybe even lose some if it's drawing in hot air....so IMO I try to think it all through myself rather than just relying on their advertising. You want more air, and colder air, just keep that in the back of your mind. My father in law put a spectre intake on his F150, it is open to the hot air under the hood, and IMO it feels to me like he lost some power and mpg. He claims it's way better, but I think that's just him justifying his $1XX spent on it...

Old 09-09-2011, 11:22 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

No matter what tune you have or do, the most critical part of the tune is shift points and rpm redline. Make sure you set your shift points at around 6,000 rpms and your redline to 6400. My shift points are now set 6100 from first to second and 6000 from second to third. But most are finding 6000 rpms to be the sweet spot. Stock shift point suck with a capital S!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram lonestar
Color: Red
Rep:46
garner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedodge0986 View Post
He opened his hood, didnt have a CAI, all he had was exhaust. He said it was flowmaster 10 series. I on the other hand have DS-P had it tuned to the 87(?) octane (thats the gas I had in the truck) and a CAI, with Flowmaster 40 series. I don't know what gears he had. We started at 40mph. Then from a dead stop, we raced several times. I had a buddy riding with me he filmed the whole thing, but its a 15 minute video. Im trying to get him to e-mail it to me, so I can edit it and put it on here. According to the guy I raced, he bought the truck as it was when me and him raced, he hadn't done anything to it. I didn't feel to confident in my truck after racing him. I put alot of money into trying to make it faster, but he smoked me after we hit second gear. I got him in the top end though cause his truck topped out at 107mph. I got my truck up to 125, (thats what the speedometer read) but after my needle hit 125 my truck was still pulling away. After he topped out he was at least 4 lengths ahead of me then when I caught up to him I flew past him. Im gonna call diablo today and see about tuning my truck to the setting so I get better performance. Also a side note, my buddy just got an '08 hemi, with SRT-10 hood, sunburst orange, and flowmaster exhaust. He is confident that he will beat me in a race, I told him he is out of his mind. My truck is stock with 390hp, his is stock with 345hp. I will let yall know how that race goes!
Yeah the 87 tune might have hurt you. You should have multiple tune options in your tuner already. Next time race him with a 93 tune and cutout openp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
No matter what tune you have or do, the most critical part of the tune is shift points and rpm redline. Make sure you set your shift points at around 6,000 rpms and your redline to 6400. My shift points are now set 6100 from first to second and 6000 from second to third. But most are finding 6000 rpms to be the sweet spot. Stock shift point suck with a capital S!
I wouldn't advise him revving too high as people have had engine failures(rockers iirc) from revving past 5800
Best time: 14.7402 @87.53 on bald goodyear fortera sl 285 45 22 in 2500 DA. Corrected to 14.301 @ 90.28