DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - SIGS - Special Interest Groups > Public Safety

Notices

Public Safety Special Interest Group for Police/Law Enforcement, Fire, and EMS Personnel! - Click the badge to the right to request membership>>

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 2WD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:121
KelseytheDodgeGirl will become famous soon enoughKelseytheDodgeGirl will become famous soon enough
Question Curious to hear from you guys on this...

This is an article that talks about Pulaski County and Winamac, a small town near me. (Original article can be found here)
Sheriff Gayer has this habit of requesting military grade vehicles and weapons, saying America is a war zone.
( "Gayer, who is among the state's most prolific applicants for military surplus items, said he checks a website every day to see what's available." )

I'm simply curious to see what you guys have to say about this here on the Public Safety branch of the Z.
Whatcha think?

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2L V8 "The Beast"
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST 4.7L V8 "Silver" Build thread
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L V8 Hemi
Sponsored links
Old 08-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Is tired of the BS too

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Not a LEO, but I personally think that if the vehicle is cost effective and has the potential to save the life of an officer or civilian then it had paid for itself a couple of times over.

Military vehicles are designed with the occupants in mind. Maybe it's a stretch to use it in a rural area, but I think it still retains that potential. I doubt seriously if any of the other counties have something as capable as it, but that makes it an asset and if any situation in a neighboring county arises I believe that it will be at their disposal.

I firmly believe that each and every American should have the ability to neutralize any lethal threat. If that means that each of us has a firearm in our home and it never gets used, then society has prevailed. If one of those has to be used to save the life of its owner or loved one than it has served its purpose.

In the same regard with the MRAP sitting in the barn it would be great to see it rust away and never see daylight. It would also be great to see it save the life of just one person.

Either way I think it's a win-win.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: Ram
Rep:13
BoldAdventure is on a distinguished road

Say that the folks there need to replace their Sheriff. But they keep electing him right?
Old 08-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 2WD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:121
KelseytheDodgeGirl will become famous soon enoughKelseytheDodgeGirl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock III View Post
Not a LEO, but I personally think that if the vehicle is cost effective and has the potential to save the life of an officer or civilian then it had paid for itself a couple of times over.

Military vehicles are designed with the occupants in mind. Maybe it's a stretch to use it in a rural area, but I think it still retains that potential. I doubt seriously if any of the other counties have something as capable as it, but that makes it an asset and if any situation in a neighboring county arises I believe that it will be at their disposal.

I firmly believe that each and every American should have the ability to neutralize any lethal threat. If that means that each of us has a firearm in our home and it never gets used, then society has prevailed. If one of those has to be used to save the life of its owner or loved one than it has served its purpose.

In the same regard with the MRAP sitting in the barn it would be great to see it rust away and never see daylight. It would also be great to see it save the life of just one person.

Either way I think it's a win-win.
I agree with you in every way but one. He's going a 'little' overboard with his paranoia. Gayer continually requests more equipment, including night vision goggles at $6000 a pair-- I believe he's ordered 12 or so. I agree about keeping the police and the people safe, but at this point, I'm not sure if he's worried about us or just himself.

The people around here would call their neighbors before calling the county cops, which is really sad. I'd love it if the people would trust them once again.
The fact that he looks at the website to 'see what's available' on a daily basis sort of makes me wonder. As does the fact that he felt the need to say, "Sheriff Gayer remarked about the MRAP, “It’s a lot more intimidating than a Dodge.”" (source here )-- The general populous of Pulaski and Stake (since they share a SWAT team) don't need intimidating. Not that this is something I'm proud of, but the 'biggest' problem around here is drugs and alcohol. Ah well. Maybe I'm overreacting a little.
Thanks for your two cents, Warlock! I do agree about whatever it takes to keep /everyone/ safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Say that the folks there need to replace their Sheriff. But they keep electing him right?
Yes, but I'm relatively sure that it's because of his party/'political beliefs' and I'd be willing to bet that a lot of people around here don't know about his various stunts. That, and the other names on the ballots don't have as many ads and publicity.
He can't run again this year, he's done. His name isn't on the ballot, I just checked.
I dunno. Thanks for chiming in!

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.2L V8 "The Beast"
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST 4.7L V8 "Silver" Build thread
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L V8 Hemi
Old 08-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Is tired of the BS too

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I agree with you that it may be overkill (I think that's what you meant to say in the shortened version).

Admitting that he looks at the web site may be overemphasized window shopping. I do it even though I can't afford some of the things I look at, but it's fun just the same.

I don't personally see the need of 40k in night vision goggles. I'd like to have a pair, but I can't afford them. I think that's a bit much. One pair is useless for a team, so maybe two to confirm what the first person is seeing.

I'm not trying to split hairs so please don't take it that way.

Government funding has it's catches that if you don't spend the money they just take it away and it goes somewhere else next year.

AND don't forget...you're dealing with the male ego here.

Is he compensating for a lack of equipment in other areas?

Last edited by Warlock III; 08-03-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

I read the article you recommended. I for one believe in "Protect and Serve" but you have to have those officers well armed and protected to do their duty in the first place, to protect and serve their citizens. This sheriff is just trying to keep pace and protect his employees so that they are well equipped to protect and serve the citizens of that county everyday, all day, and into the next day.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:15
MissouriRam is on a distinguished road

To give everyone a little background information on the Department of Defense Grant that is available to LEOs. The DOD grant was set up so that 1. the military doesn't have a overburden of equipment that isn't needed and 2. have the ability to supply Police Departments with equipment that is sorely needed.

We have come to a day and age where money talks and everything else walks..... having said that, cities have curbed police department budgets and sometimes supplying things such as rifles to officers, 4x4 vehicles for the winter, night vision, binoculars, thermal imagers etc. are not within reach of most departments anymore. What this grant does is allow departments to bid on equipment and use it while it is considered to be "surplus" for the military. Many times these items are NO COST to the departments, other times the department will have to pick up the tab for shipping or even drive to get particular items on there own time and cost.

One may think, why would an officer need a thermal imager or night vision? Imagine you were tracking down a bad guy that killed all the electricity to a building or ran after burglarizing your home in the middle of the night. We don't have super human powers (other then consuming mass quantities of donuts and coffee). Flashlights only go so far, so many times we rely on some of the military grade equipment such as night vision or thermal imaging, to help us do our job more effectively and make sure the bad guy doesn't get away.

The catch with these grants is that all of this equipment is really just borrowed..... the military still retains ownership of the items and can ask for them back at any time.

As far as checking websites daily for items etc. etc., I can't say I blame him. Once you realize this stuff is out there and that you can better equip your department for little to no cost, you tend to pick up as much as you can. It would be like Ebay telling the public that ALL items on Ebay will be sold for free, the only thing buyers would have to do is pay for shipping etc..... you know as well as I do that many of us would be on there 24/7 looking for items trying to take advantage while we can.

I commend the guy for attempting to equip his guys AND obtain them in a cost effective manner. Sounds like he's a good steward of his money and cities usually appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseytheDodgeGirl View Post
I agree with you in every way but one. He's going a 'little' overboard with his paranoia. Gayer continually requests more equipment, including night vision goggles at $6000 a pair-- I believe he's ordered 12 or so. I agree about keeping the police and the people safe, but at this point, I'm not sure if he's worried about us or just himself.

The people around here would call their neighbors before calling the county cops, which is really sad. I'd love it if the people would trust them once again.
The fact that he looks at the website to 'see what's available' on a daily basis sort of makes me wonder. As does the fact that he felt the need to say, "Sheriff Gayer remarked about the MRAP, “It’s a lot more intimidating than a Dodge.”" (source here )-- The general populous of Pulaski and Stake (since they share a SWAT team) don't need intimidating. Not that this is something I'm proud of, but the 'biggest' problem around here is drugs and alcohol. Ah well. Maybe I'm overreacting a little.
Thanks for your two cents, Warlock! I do agree about whatever it takes to keep /everyone/ safe.

Yes, but I'm relatively sure that it's because of his party/'political beliefs' and I'd be willing to bet that a lot of people around here don't know about his various stunts. That, and the other names on the ballots don't have as many ads and publicity.
He can't run again this year, he's done. His name isn't on the ballot, I just checked.
I dunno. Thanks for chiming in!