DODGE RAM FORUM banner

How to clean crankcase..

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  THK 
#1 ·
Changed out my oil today with mobile 1 and wix filter, but I noticed the oil was very black and dirty. This is my first change since I bought the vehicle from the dealership (used). Anything I can do to help clean out old crud?

I know there is an argument for and against Seafoam, what are the other options?

#2 ·
I am against any crankcase additive

That being said, if your oil at the next change is as bad as the last time
putting Seafoam into the crankcase a couple hundred miles before the change shouldn't hurt
I wouldn't even think about doing it on something that has 80,000 miles on it & it was never done before

but that is just me

#3 ·
Well I don't know the past history very well, as it was used and all highway miles. It had 91K on it... I just didn't like the look of that nasty oil... I'll be checking it a tomorrow after i get done driving around town... to see how nasty it became, but I really wanted to clean the crankcase out asap and do another oil change

#5 ·
I understand that much, but it is possible that it is so dirty that it might take several oil changes to get it out... I would like to speed up the process if possible

#6 ·
Well just did another oil change at 400 miles... mobil 1 5w20 and K&N filter this time... Oil was still black, but not pitch black like it was before..... so I am guessing my crankcase is still filthy inside... and I didn't do any additives

I guess next change I should just drop the oil pan and clean that out by hand ... at that point might as well buy the oversized pan like I wanted to do.

#8 ·
Marvel mystery oil and dino oil can be used to clean it up. Running any synthetic like Mobil 1 will help clean it out, it just might take a few changes. Pennzoil platinum and ultra are both supposed to be very good at sludge cleanup, so you could use those and make sure you use a good filter like wix, mobil 1, k&n, pureone, or bosch distance plus and that will also work. You should also check your pcv valve, it should probably be replaced if it hasn't already been. Also make sure your air filter is in good shape, don't want dirty air getting into the engine or oil.

#7 ·
have you found a larger oil pan? I haven't seen any. maybe a couple of short interval oil changes with some cheaper dino oil until it starts coming out cleaner. yeah, I guess dropping the pan and wiping it out might help too.

do you do a lot of short trip driving?

#9 ·
I did the oil change before I want to Boston, once I got up here, (1900 miles) I did another oil change, planning on doing another change once I get back south. If the oil is still dirty as hell, I'll change out the pcv valve (didn't think to check that) and put some marvel mystery oil in... I think its slowly getting cleaner, didn't get a chance to see the oil during this last change.... next one I be in my trusty old garage or mech shop.

#10 · (Edited)
I would pull the pan and clean if it bothers you that much. You may have a lot of sludge built up in there. And I wouldn't put any more additives or cleaners in there with that many miles on it. Now it's going to take a few oil changes to get the cleaners out. If there's sludge in it, it now becomes sludge/cleaner that will mix with every oil change utill you get the cleaner out. So either drop your pan and clean it or do a couple of more early oil changes without any additives. edit: I don't think the PVC valve is gonna make that big of a difference as far as the dirty oil goes. It's a good idea to have a fresh one, but don't expect the oil to get any cleaner because of it.

#11 ·
Just as a thought, a lot of dealership have purchased engine crankcase oil cleaners which is suppose to flush the crankcase with a heated cleaner. Call around. Also, google is you friend.

Cleaning the pan is just a half measure. You also have to consider the cylinder heads, and valley areas of the engine areas if you want to really clean.

If you really want to find out how "dirty" your oil is, have it analyzed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.