DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
A catch can does not give you any more power. It helps prevent vented oil from your pcv valve from building up in your throttle body and cylinders. Your engine combustion chamber can only burn away so much oil and the excess builds up causing poor performance. A catch can will help your tunes last longer by trapping most of the oil. Just as a grease trap helps keep your sewer pipes in a resturaunt. And it does work and it does benifit performance by helping your tunes stay fresh and last longer but it does not give you any more HP.
You can get more power with a catch can. There's only so much volume in the cylinders, and some of that volume is taken up by the oil/vapor...if you remove this it provides more room for air and fuel giving more power. It may be minimal but it is there. Also, removing the oil/vapor gives potential for higher octane/more timing advance which has more power potential.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 09-09-2011, 11:22 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
You can get more power with a catch can. There's only so much volume in the cylinders, and some of that volume is taken up by the oil/vapor...if you remove this it provides more room for air and fuel giving more power. It may be minimal but it is there. Also, removing the oil/vapor gives potential for higher octane/more timing advance which has more power potential.
It is for preventative maintnence purposes only, it adds no HP.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

I see both your points and agree to disagree respectfully, but i will not be useing a water/fuel seperator, say what u want but I have seen them bust/crack in shops I have worked at and am not willing to shatter glass and oil under the hood, my personal opinion and my 2 cents, which we all know 2 cents won't get u a whole lot.

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance
Old 09-09-2011, 01:17 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Well I don't want to debate on and on but if you look at other people who race there is a power improvement, by removing the oil you can fit more air/fuel, and it is proven by racers. Many drag racers go a step further run their pcv system into their header collectors to get a vacuum on it as well. The cleanliness aspect of it is another benefit (and in my opinion the more important factor as the power gain is small). I understand that some may be worried about using inferior cheap diy parts and that's fine it's whatever you want but I just can't bear to spend a lot of money on a can.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:09 PM

Vehicle: 2006 QCSB, 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
BadHazard is on a distinguished road

I can see both sides.

Ill def be buy/moding one in the future.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:55 PM

RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

First of all, I wouldn't use a water fuel seperator either. You guys asked and I answered, they do use them when they don't want to spend the money, lol! Second, the catch can is used to prevent power loss and not add power ...period. If you have a brand new build and you dyno 600 hp without it, you will dyno the same exact thing with it, lol! It's used to help keep your engine combustion area clean as well as the TB/intake in some cases. It will extend the life of your tune, but it will not add power. Of course a clean engine will have more power than a dirty one, that's obvious. The purpose is to keep it clean with the catch can so you don't loose power, lol! BTW... I have a Moroso, but I don't really need it because I don't race my truck that much. I drive it easy until it's time to race unless I'm tuning it. And not to mention, you can always add a valve cover breather or two for a serious racer or a serious build to release crankcase ventilation. Then you could eliminate the PCV valve all together.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

^very true indeed

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance
Old 09-13-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
First of all, I wouldn't use a water fuel seperator either. You guys asked and I answered, they do use them when they don't want to spend the money, lol! Second, the catch can is used to prevent power loss and not add power ...period. If you have a brand new build and you dyno 600 hp without it, you will dyno the same exact thing with it, lol! It's used to help keep your engine combustion area clean as well as the TB/intake in some cases. It will extend the life of your tune, but it will not add power. Of course a clean engine will have more power than a dirty one, that's obvious. The purpose is to keep it clean with the catch can so you don't loose power, lol! BTW... I have a Moroso, but I don't really need it because I don't race my truck that much. I drive it easy until it's time to race unless I'm tuning it. And not to mention, you can always add a valve cover breather or two for a serious racer or a serious build to release crankcase ventilation. Then you could eliminate the PCV valve all together.
Since you want to be so argumentative I'll rephrase what I said. Technically using a catch can will not add any power, but it will give you back power that you lost due to the oil/vapor being in the combustion chamber. Like I said before, it is minimal. If you still want to say that it does not have more power without the oil/vapor being in the combustion chamber, please give a reason.

Also, breathers don't work very well, they are pretty restrictive and cause a buildup of pressure in the crankcase. They were always very popular, but lately people have either been modifying their pcv system as we are talking about with a catch can, or they run the breather hoses into the exhaust. Using breathers has been found to cause premature seal blowouts (mainly front and rear main seals). I've used breathers on two of my personal vehicles and both started leaking at the rear main seal less than an oil change later. I haven't experienced an oil leak with any pcv system that I've had. those that run theirs into the exhaust claim to gain some power (.....gain back some lost power....for you radioflyer lol) because it creates a vacuum on the crankcase allowing the pistons to move easier (no pressure pushing up on the piston as it is trying to be driven downward). I've seen a few dyno's posted on LStech of this and they do show about 10-20hp gains in some very heavily modified engines...

Old 09-13-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Since you want to be so argumentative I'll rephrase what I said. Technically using a catch can will not add any power, but it will give you back power that you lost due to the oil/vapor being in the combustion chamber. Like I said before, it is minimal. If you still want to say that it does not have more power without the oil/vapor being in the combustion chamber, please give a reason.

Also, breathers don't work very well, they are pretty restrictive and cause a buildup of pressure in the crankcase. They were always very popular, but lately people have either been modifying their pcv system as we are talking about with a catch can, or they run the breather hoses into the exhaust. Using breathers has been found to cause premature seal blowouts (mainly front and rear main seals). I've used breathers on two of my personal vehicles and both started leaking at the rear main seal less than an oil change later. I haven't experienced an oil leak with any pcv system that I've had. those that run theirs into the exhaust claim to gain some power (.....gain back some lost power....for you radioflyer lol) because it creates a vacuum on the crankcase allowing the pistons to move easier (no pressure pushing up on the piston as it is trying to be driven downward). I've seen a few dyno's posted on LStech of this and they do show about 10-20hp gains in some very heavily modified engines...
First of all if you build an engine right you will not have any blow by to cause gaskets and seals to leak. Two major reasons why gaskets and seals leak are heat and blow by. The way to cure the heat is using the right tstat and cooling. Running temps at an avaerage of 185 will help keep your gaskets and seals lasting longer than running it at 200 degrees as well as keeping your presious ride in climate controlled weather to lessening the expansion and retraction of seals and gaskets. You have blow by from a bad build, worn or cracked rings, or just plain ole high milage. To check for blow by, hold your hand above your oil filler or breather holes to feel for any pressure coming out or visable oil. If so, not even a puke can could help prevent gasket blow out (or seals). So if your seals were leaking, you can't blame it on your breathers because it's not what caused the problem. If you block off breathing holes you could cause a leak, but not by unblocking them with breathers. That's what windage trays are for, as well as proper ring size clearance to bore and proper file fit gaps. And catch/puke cans have been used since the age of dawn, it's nothing new. Truth is, lately you've been cramming Google search again haven't you, lol! There's nothing wrong with that, it's a good learning tool and I do it too, lol! That's how I learned about everything related to the gen 111 hemi. When you build a high performance engine, breathers are a must and always have been. You do not build a high performance engine without the use of breathers. Breathers actually assist the catch can on high performance engines just as a return air vent/filter does an airconditioning system. All engines burn off the vapors through the PCV valve, but the more you race it the less chances of burning it all off and that's where the catch/puke can comes in. Normal drivers who don't race or dog their vehicles could go for ever without a catch can because the PCV valve will do it's job. I'm telling you this from experience, I've owned and built just about every 66 to 70 hot rod under the sun and then some (not so hot rod). My last one was an IROC Z28 I got rid of in 2007. If you want to learn more about crankcase ventilation, google nascar builds. They use the best ventilation system on the planet, it's ugly but it works. BTW...when I added my catch can, the combustion area was most likely already dirty. So I know that I did not add any hp, because I did not spray any carb cleaner into the TB. But it's going to help prevent any more oil from entering the intake. If I ever tune it, I'll clean the TB and spray some cleaner in the intake. Then maybe it'll add some hp., lol!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:08 PM

Your first statement is 100% wrong. All engines will have blow by, no matter how tight clearances are, and how well they are put together. There will be some blow by. Yes two reasons that cause leaks are heat and blow by, but there are other things that produce crankcase pressure as well. Even if there was no blow by you need ventilation, so I don't know what the purpose of your argument for this is...? Also who said a catch can prevents blow by? Again I don't know why your stating something about this topic, I or nobody else mentioned anything about a catch can helping with blow by...

I'm not saying breathers don't work, but they are not nearly as good as a pcv system or other system. PCV systems have basically no restriction once the crankcase reaches the appropriate pressure to vent past the valve, therefore no blown seals. If the pcv valve sticks, you could have a blown seal. The best setup is running the breathers into the exhaust. I'm not going to google about nascar... You say "unblocking" but this is relative....yes it would be more unblocked if it were initially a sealed crankcase, but it is more blocked if you initially had a pcv system. PCV system is less restrictive than breathers and will vent better, plus it has a vacuum draw from the intake.

Windage trays have nothing to do with blocked off breathers...again I don't know what your argument here is? Windage trays are to keep oil from sloshing and foaming, this helps it remain usable as a good lubricant and to ensure the oil is readily available in the oil pan...

And do you have a reason as I asked before about the power or no power increase with the catch can? The fact is that with the catch can you can fit more air/fuel into the combustion chamber giving more power. There are other reasons as well...

I would like to hear more facts on all of this from you instead of statements with no real reason behind it. You seem to get off topic too, like you're trying to make a distraction from the conversation...I dunno...I also don't understand why you want to continue to make rude comments to me...granted it wasn't that rude this time but why do you assume that I don't know what I'm talking about...rhetorical question I know you think young=stupid and inexperienced. Even after all the rude comments you make to me I'm still respectful. The old man should have more respect than the young punk....

My point about catch cans being "new" is not that they weren't ever used, but if you go to the track today, probably 25-50% of the cars have one. 20 years ago, less than 10% probably had one. They had breathers.

I'm not googling I'm going from my experience and facts. You're just saying things like "I had a breather system it was awesome...." That statement is useless...where's the reason behind that? Breathers are ok, but pcv systems vent better and unless you can give a reason or fact that explains why or why not, there's no denying it. Breather filters are more restrictive, pcv has no filter restriction, and has a slight vacuum on it, so it vents better, that's the fact.