DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:27
unrealtrip is on a distinguished road
Default Chips for noobs?

Can someone point me to a FAQ or a thread or something on chipping our trucks? Though I'm familiar with the concept, I've never done it so it is something totally new to me.

What is a good way to go, who makes a good chip/programmer, are there profiles you download, plug and play devices, easy install, etc etc.

thanks
Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:83
Drake371 will become famous soon enough

IIRC, there isn't really any FAQ floating around on the different programmers. Best to look around at the different manufacturer websites and poll different users opinions (there are many threads in this forum on the topic)

For our engine, 08 4.7, I would suggest looking at the Superchip programmer, they have the highest published gains and I can feel the difference and see MPG improvements (gotten as much as 2mpg improvement but usually avg 1 mpg more)
Old 09-08-2011, 01:16 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Today's chips aren't really chips at all. Most quality programmers (or tuners or chips or whatever you choose to call it) are actually handheld devices that connect to your vehicle via the OBD port under the dash. The device can interact with and alter your vehicle's programming on the PCM/ECU. The most popular ones by far are the Superchips Flashpaq and Diablosport Predator. They are very easy to use. These programmers come with several preset tunes (also called canned tunes) such as 87 octane performance, 91 octane performance, 93 octane performance, tow tune, fuel mileage tune, etc. You connect the device, it stores your stock tune info, and then you can load one of the canned tunes onto your truck. When you are done you unhook the programmer and store it until you need to change your tune or return it to stock.

These tuners can do other things too like calibrate your speedo for different size tires, read check engine light codes, and monitor vital engine info.

The second gen 4.7 seems to respond better to a tuner that about any other gas engine. If you google hard enough you should be able to find the Superchips dyno sheet for the second gen 4.7 showing stock vs. Superchips tuned. It's impressive....around 50hp and 55tq max gain best I remember.

Hope this helps. Ask more questions if you got any.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:12 PM

check this out, has the graph posted... http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=15
Old 09-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^they pretty much covered all the info.

I would strongly suggest avoiding "chips"....they simply trick some of the sensors and this is not a good thing, this screws up the readings and usually does not add any power(it usually hurts power and mpg, and doesn't do so safely). Most chips use a resistor to trick the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor but again this just screws up the air/fuel ratio and does not help anything.

"programmers" are what you would want. They safely reprogram some of the computers setting, like timing advance, and a/f ratios, amongst other things. Like they said, superchips and diablo sport are the most common/best choices. Superchips offers the flashpaq and the cortex (cortex is the same as flashpaq but offers a drivetrain warranty...in my opinion not worth the extra money but you can decide). Superchips does give a 50hp and 55 lb ft MAX gain that has a dyno to prove it like he ^ said. I would guess diablo sport would give somewhat similar gains, but I don't know that for sure. Superchips advantages are that you know exactly what gain you are getting, and it has more transmission features such as torque management adjustment. Diablo sport advantages are that you can do some custom tuning if you ever go further with mods (such as add cams or headers....). Both tuners also have datalogging/digital gauges....etc...

I highly recommend the superchips flashpaq (yours would be the 3865), it is about $350 direct from superchips, takes about 15 minutes to tune, and 15 minutes to return to stock tune. I can't even drive my truck stock anymore after having it tuned...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:32 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

And like he said above I've also noticed a at least 1 mpg improvement on the 91 or 93 performance tunes. It probably cancels out with the higher price of premium fuel, but I like the additional power. They also have a tow tune that is awesome.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:53 PM

actually depending on prices of different gas, its usually saves you money once you get +.75 mpg increase to go to the next higher octane. I should post my graphs/excel sheet (its stupidly simple) where you enter your cost of fuel of different levels and compares the cost at different levels of gains.... I'll see what I can do.

If your interested in the file send me a pm, I'll email it to ya... its not pretty but if we m=can make it so pretty I'll be glad to post it to the forum :P

Last edited by Drake371; 09-08-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:21 PM

That'd be interesting to see drake. I agree it is probably paying off, but I'm just trying to give a conservative response for people looking to buy one. I get about 22mpg hwy at 65-70mph, and even at like 80 and 85 mph I get 20mpg or better. City is around 17-18mpg probably. Definitely better than stock.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:12 PM

Shot me an pm with your email addy and I'll get it you ya... what settings and fuel mix are you using .... not to take away from the OP topic
Old 09-08-2011, 04:27 PM

I was running the 91 tune (usually with 93 octane as that's what's usually available here in Orlando). I was running the 91 tune because when I ran the 93 tune and had a small load (my motorcycle, or even just a full quad cab of people) I'd get some pinging/detonation under load, so I went to the 91 tune since it is almost the same as the 93 tune, and got added detonation protection. Most recently I've gone back to the 93 tune with 93 octane as I'm almost always alone in my truck without any load, and it feels the same as the 91 tune, however I think I may be getting slightly better city mpg....They told me the only difference in the 91 and 93 tune is more timing advance.

The other settings I have the TM at superchips setting, and shift points basically maxed out.