DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
royw is on a distinguished road

Mine got stuck once. It turned out my cell phone cord got caught on the shifter and in the transmission gate. It was providing just enough pressure to keep the sensor from knowing it was in park. My suggestion is to make sure the transmission gate is clear and maybe apply a little forward pressure on the shifter.
Sponsored links
Old 06-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dk Cherry Red
Rep:14
dkerr24 is on a distinguished road

Replace the CR2032 battery in the keyfob that is giving you trouble. That should fix it. You can find those batteries at most retail stores, but they are kinda pricey compared to buying them online.

Darin
Old 06-28-2012, 08:45 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
It's in case the battery dies, so you can still get into the truck. Also for the tailgate lock. You can actually start the truck without inserting the keyfob into the slot, it uses a "chip" and senses it once it's close. You can use your finger to turn the keyfob slot thing to start it.
OK, Sean...being a curious person, I had to go out to my truck and try this. After going through several different positions with the key and such, I couldn't get the ignition to move at all. Are you sure this is correct? I know there is an electronic element in the key that the truck reacts to like most keys in the modern era, but I think there's also something mechanical going on with those 2 "bumps" in the tip that allows it to turn the cylinder. I tend to think it's both electronic and mechanical. I couldn't get mine to turn with the key as close as possible. This wasn't a joke to see how many of us would try it, was it?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:23 PM

Trim Level: Express 4 X 4
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:31
ramjam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by royw View Post
Mine got stuck once. It turned out my cell phone cord got caught on the shifter and in the transmission gate. It was providing just enough pressure to keep the sensor from knowing it was in park. My suggestion is to make sure the transmission gate is clear and maybe apply a little forward pressure on the shifter.
Exactly-move the shifter up and it will release.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Charger R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: marine blue
Rep:22
New2Ram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
OK, Sean...being a curious person, I had to go out to my truck and try this. After going through several different positions with the key and such, I couldn't get the ignition to move at all. Are you sure this is correct? I know there is an electronic element in the key that the truck reacts to like most keys in the modern era, but I think there's also something mechanical going on with those 2 "bumps" in the tip that allows it to turn the cylinder. I tend to think it's both electronic and mechanical. I couldn't get mine to turn with the key as close as possible. This wasn't a joke to see how many of us would try it, was it?
Ha ha! I think he got you!
Mopar Nerf Bars, 3.55 gears, 20% tint, 18" Magnaflow muffler, shorty antenna, 10" Memphis sub, Sound stream amp, AFE stage 2 cold air intake, tri-fold soft tonneau cover, smoke head light and tail light covers, blue l.e.d. brow lights, Built 12-6-10 @ noon
Old 06-29-2012, 05:28 AM

Vehicle: 2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Trim Level: st
Color: deep water blue pearl coat
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:14
daggertats is on a distinguished road

happened to me when i first got the truck. theres at least 2 other posts around with this happening to others too. i took a small amount of liquid graphite and put it on the key . worked it into the ignition a few times and its been fine ever since.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:16 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 5.7 CC
Trim Level: Express ST
Color: Black
Rep:10
NYTHWK is on a distinguished road
Default me too

i have had this happen to me quite frequently actually . but everytime it did it i was turning the truck off and pulling the fob quite quickly. i did have to turn the truck on and turn it off slowly to get it out. my battery was not low. i would like to know whats up with the ignition our 2010 chrysler town and country had a similar problem
Old 07-12-2012, 06:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Copperhead Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Knightheart is on a distinguished road

I have had this happen several times and it is always after shutting the truck off. I found that if I start it back up and put the truck back into gear and then back to park that does the trick. I don't know if this can happen because of putting the gear into park to fast but not sure what else it would be.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
This was not a joke lol. I think you misunderstood what I was saying, or I didn't explain it clearly. If the battery in the fob or truck dies then the electric locks won't work. So you won't have any way of unlocking your doors. That's why there is a "hidden" key in the fob. Now this seems brilliant until you open the door and the friggin alarm goes off with no way to shut it off(that I know of). Some people only carry the fob and not an actual key, that's why they put the "hidden" key in the fob.

Also, as far as the ignition goes, yes the fob has the bumps that make it fit snug in there but there are only two things that activate the ignition. One is the fob has to be near the ignition(not necessarily in the ignition). There is a "chip" or whatever that has to be near the ignition for it to work, I'm not sure of the range but know it can be like 2 inches away and work(without being actually in the ignition). The second is the "plunger" in the ignition has to be pressed inward, then the ignition turned. You can use your finger to do this and not use the fob, and it'll start up as long as the fob is next to the ignition.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Laramie Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
drew7811 is on a distinguished road

I've had mine for about 6 months now and it happened to me once just this past week. I was already having a bad day and then this popped up (go figure). After a minute of trying to jiggle it out of the ignition, I tried moving the shifter and to my suprise it actually dropped out of park (without my foot even being on the brake). I thought that was weird so I put it back in park and amazingly the key came right out. Obviously has something to do with the shifter not going all the way into park or being caught in a middle.