DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram – 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-01-2011, 01:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Cummins 3500
Trim Level: Heavy Duty
Color: Garnet Red
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:10
CanadianEH is on a distinguished road

So, I was wondering why I was getting bad gas mileage as well. Seemed like it was eating $20 just to go to town and back. So I checked the onboard meter. It sais that I am getting 8.2MPG!!!!!!!!! No maintanence fix should cause that much of a drop in fuel economy especially when I'm not heavy on the gas. I do have 35" 12.5" wide tires, but again, should not drop that low. I do have an engine tick, sounds like its the head?? Could this be my problem for poor mileage? I'm new to these engines so bare with me.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge RAM 4.8L 290ci
Trim Level: Quad Cab SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:12
SuperiorStyles is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SuperiorStyles Send a message via Yahoo to SuperiorStyles

Are you all reading from your overhead console? If so it's not correct. I have tested my 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4.7 with a Diagnostic MPG tool and my overhead console said I was using 12.9 MPG when I diagnosed my MPG it told me 18.6 MPG city
and 22.4 Highway. Note for some that already know about my rebuild I did performance Upgrades like .30 flat top forged Pistons, cosmetic gasket, 72 mm Throttle body, Electric Fan Conversion, SCT Hemi Fever Performance Tuning, 180 thermostat... you get the point. Well when I check the Correct MPG it added up due to my full Tank of gas lasted 1 week and 4 days until my next full tank and that in traffic and highway conditions I'm mostly speeding when i'm trying to get my son to school and wife to work.
For some of you Driving conditions apply why MPG go down and outside temp also apply as for the truck receiving warm air through the intake. Rear end Gearing is part of why MPG go down any thing above 3.55 expect lower MPG not to much but enough to see depending on you driving. Aftermarket Exhaust also plays part in lower MPG. Performance Tuning also.

Get your yourself a MPG diagnostic tool and get the proper reading you be happier.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram quad cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: blue
Rep:17
turborich is on a distinguished road

I personally don't like the CAI intake kits, I know the filter is oiled and supposed to prevent dirt from entering the engine but this isn't always true. I have put a bunch of the K&N FPIK kits on at work and when you see the truck again say in 6 months or so, if you look inside the intake ducting you will be able to see dust all over it.

Perfect example is my 2000 Ford Expedition, It came with a drop in K&N filter and when it's time to clean & re-oil it you can see the dust on the inside of the intake ducting. I'm going to buy the correct paper filter & toss the K&N.

Also on many of the K&N set up's your engine is sucking in HOT air from under the hood. It's just my opinion but I can't stand the K&N kits as I think they are poorly designed. I know people swear that they gain horsepower that they can feel but it just isn't so, I think it's just the sound of the intake that makes them think it's faster.

As for the OP fuel mileage, I just bought my 2005 4.7 Ram QC and haven't taken it out on the highway, but in town the onboard computer is saying 12 mpg and that's with a light foot. Of course when I fill my tank back up & do the real math & see how accurate it is. Honestly if it gets 12 in town then that's the same as my 2000 5.4 liter Expedition, The Expy gets between 16-19 hwy depending on the terrain and about 13.5 while towing my camper. Hopefully the Ram does the same or better but I'm not holding my breath. They are big, heavy and not very aerodynamic.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram quad cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: blue
Rep:17
turborich is on a distinguished road

Well I just filled the Dodge back up & calculated the gallons used vs the miles driven and in town I'm getting 11.4 mpg which is right about where I figured it would be. It's a lot of truck and a fairly small under powered engine. She is running excellent and there is nothing causing me to get 11.4 mpg except for real world stop & go city driving and there is quite a bit of stop & go. Once I take a highway trip I'll post the numbers. I'm expecting about 17 hwy / 13 while towing. I'll see how close I am.

As far as relying on the overhead display or a scan tool, Why not just do it the most accurate way available and fill your tank up, drive till you want to refill again, divide the gallons used by the miles driven. This is the only accurate way to do it. My overhead display was pretty close though at .5 of a mpg off.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Hemi Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:34
johnnyG is on a distinguished road

if you havent already check the pcv egr valves and when was the last time you did the plugs. with all my mods i stay steady at 12 mpg. and that is with a lot of Chicago driving which is all stop and go. i dont have a light foot and i have a custom shift schedule on my SC.
SC 3865, K&N CAI, Fastman TB, Magnaflow Y to 18", sonnax, Zeon LTZs, Bilstein HDs, LEDs everywhere, sylvania ZXE heads and fogs, shorty antenna, all aftermarket audio and subs, linex, ez down tailgate and lots and lots of love.