DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
theman440 is on a distinguished road
Default Please help Guys - I'm at my wits end

I have a '00 2500 2wd Quad Cab, it's got 130K miles on it. I started noticing this about 10K miles previous. In the range between 42-50 (worst at 45) miles per hour the whole truck shimmys badly. If you look in the side mirror you can see the bed shaking up and down. It's smooth below 42mph and above 50 and comes back at around 60 but not as violent. It shakes the whole truck not just the steering wheel, or the seat. I originally blamed the shitty Big-O tires I bought for it, fought with them for too long and gave up. They balanced 5-6 times, replaced 2 tires never once admitting to "noticing" the problem (when you need 20oz's of weight to balance a tire it's garbage) I did the front brakes and had the rotors machined (cross fingers) nope, still there! I checked shocks, (fronts replaced a couple years back) OK, pitman arm OK, Idler arm OK, Tie rod ends OK. I ended up putting a different set of tires on the truck and guess what, still there! I brainstormed with my pal and we checked the ball joints - bad. I went ahead and replaced all ball joints and all tie rods (what a pain in the azz that is) all bushings good, re-check idler and pitman. At the same time I did the rear brakes, machined the drums of course. Guess what...the shimmy is still there. Like I said I'm about at my wit's end with this. I've always loved this truck and never had any issues untill I put those crappy Big-O tires on it. The truck is completely stock, not lifted, stock aluminum wheels, stock tire size, never been wrecked, never bashed a curb with a tire ETC. This is insane - to me it feels like a bad tire but when you completely swap out tires and it's still present where else do you look?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys.
Sponsored links
Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

Sounds like an ambitious project, I would start with a pair of jackstands holding up the rear axle, and seeing what happens. Look at the driveshaft, to see if it wobbles and shakes. then, if no joy, I'd watch the tires, if they shake, I would pull a tire at a time. If, with no tires, it shakes, I'd pull the drums. If you get no shaking from the rear axle mounted stuff, I'd pull the fronts, stick em on the rear, and check it out again.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:161
TimW has a spectacular aura aboutTimW has a spectacular aura about

Something my dad told me a long time ago, and it was confirmed by the tire shop I use, if it comes from the front of the truck you'll most likely feel it in the steering wheel, if you feel it in your butt, its usually coming from the rear, I would check drive shaft, rear shocks, if you can get your hands on a set of tires from somewhere trade all 4 and test drive, you'll know conclusively if its the tires or not
Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4(Rambox)
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:34
Colorado700R is on a distinguished road

Are the Ujoints good?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: blue
bigpapa85 is on a distinguished road

sounds like ujoints to me or you threw the weight off the drive shaft somehow
Old 10-05-2012, 11:50 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:140
DOZER will become famous soon enoughDOZER will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to DOZER Send a message via Skype™ to DOZER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapa85 View Post
sounds like ujoints to me or you threw the weight off the drive shaft somehow
^^^^ This is what I was thinking.^^^^
'06 2500 ST 4x4 Quad cab, Vararam CAI, Bed/Hood stripes, Vent visors, Bully tailgate lock, Moto Metal 909 18x9, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 HBS 2" level, Bilstein 5100's, Bushwhacker flares, 5000K HID's, Diablo Trinity 87 tune, LineX, Bakflip F1.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i would first call or go to Discount Tire
ask them if the have a HUNTER ROAD FORCE BALANCE MACHINE
this is Hunters Sales video, but it shows what it can do

It has been almost 40 years since i worked with mounting tires, BUT if i remember correctly

With as much balancing weight as what you mentioned, likely your tire needs to be rotated on the rim
Every tire & rim has a heavy spot, if both heavy spots are close to each other, they would have to put heavy weights 180 degrees away from that point.
You would want the heavy spot on the rim to directly oppose the heavy spot on the tire, then lighter weight can be used
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-11-2012, 12:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: White
theman440 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tips gang, I have heard of "road force balance" and will keep it in mind. I have swapped out the tires with no improvement but man it sure feels like a tire to me. I'll never buy Big-O tires again, they tried to balance them 4 or five times with no improvement - hell one of the tires had weights 1/4 around the rim. IMO a clear indication of junk tires. I think my next move will be to start from scratch.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:57 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:140
DOZER will become famous soon enoughDOZER will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to DOZER Send a message via Skype™ to DOZER

I had a similar issue with my 06 2500 qc 4x4 that I bought used with 51000 miles on the clock. On the highway at speeds above 60mph when I hit a good bump the front would vibrate. Felt like the axel is going over a washboard. It would stop after a short time, or if I hit the brakes. It started very mild at first and I chalked it off to a heavy truck. After a couple of months it was so bad it felt like the whole front end was coming off. I took it to the dealer and they told me it needed upper and lower ball joints on both sides, an axel shaft that was frozen AND tires since the truck calls for LT tires and the ones on there are passenger tires. I said well those are the tires that YOU sold me the truck with and why didn't anyone check the front end BEFORE I purchased the truck? The guy says "It's tough to tell if an axel is bad with an inspection." I said maybe so but the ball joints should have been obvious AND you failed my last truck for wheel bearings...
Thankfully the ball joints and axel were covered by the warrenty I got with the truck. I told them dont worry about the tires that I was getting new wheels and tires soon and I already have new shocks and a leveling kit waiting. $150 deductable and I was out the door and good to go, or so I thougt... The vibration was still there although greatly reduced. I went back to let them know and talked to the service manager and we both agree that at this point it is probably the tires. I tell him to put a note in my file because after I get my new tires, shocks and level put on I will be back if the vibration is not gone and they are NOT going to try and tell me it's the leveling kit! I put the tires and wheels on and it went away. What kind of tires do you have? Once I put on 10ply LT tires mine went away.
'06 2500 ST 4x4 Quad cab, Vararam CAI, Bed/Hood stripes, Vent visors, Bully tailgate lock, Moto Metal 909 18x9, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 HBS 2" level, Bilstein 5100's, Bushwhacker flares, 5000K HID's, Diablo Trinity 87 tune, LineX, Bakflip F1.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:47 AM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: WS
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:103
panhead will become famous soon enoughpanhead will become famous soon enough

I recently had an issue where the bed would "hop". Had all tires remounted and balanced. At the time, I still had the stock drums on and they were rough. Believe it or not, drums are balanced before they even get to the store. I replaced my rear drums with new and the problem pretty much went away.

I am completely disgusted every time I think about having to take a distributor cap off of one of these trucks -Screamintrashcan