DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram Ext Cab
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Light Driftwood Satin Glow
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:47
DaSOB is on a distinguished road
Question 98 Ram 2WD - replacing control arm bushing

I've got a badly squawking control arm (not sure if it's upper or lower) on the driver's side of my truck. I've replaced a bushing once, on my '69 Mustang (remember that trademark squeak/squawk of that era's Fords!!), but of course the one on the Ram is much bigger.

Looks pretty straightforward - compress the spring, remove the shock, take the control arm pivot shaft loose and pop the ball joint out of the steering knuckle. Burn out the old bushings, put in the new ones, reassemble...

It's that "put in the new ones" that has me concerned. Looks like they have to be pressed in from the outside. That can't be easy.

I'd appreciate input from anyone on this one.

Thanks!

http://www.ramforumz.com/signaturepics/sigpic2117_1.gif
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2011, 07:58 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSOB View Post
I've got a badly squawking control arm (not sure if it's upper or lower) on the driver's side of my truck. I've replaced a bushing once, on my '69 Mustang (remember that trademark squeak/squawk of that era's Fords!!), but of course the one on the Ram is much bigger.

Looks pretty straightforward - compress the spring, remove the shock, take the control arm pivot shaft loose and pop the ball joint out of the steering knuckle. Burn out the old bushings, put in the new ones, reassemble...

It's that "put in the new ones" that has me concerned. Looks like they have to be pressed in from the outside. That can't be easy.

Thanks!
I can give you a tip for the lower control arms, removing them. I had to disconnect the spindle from the ball joint one time to remove the springs so I could remove some old rusty shock absorber bolts that rusted in the lower arms. Well anyways I found that if you put the frame on jackstands and use your floor jack you can use it to hold the spring tension while you disconnect the arms, then slowly let of jack pressure and the spring should release tension and then the control arm should hit the ground and you can remove the spring safely. Repeat procedure backwards to install springs, as for the bushings in my situation I wouldn't bother, it's wiser to replace all 4 control arms and call it a day cause the truck will rust out before you need to attend to the arms other then grease. But your situation different I do know that for the upper control arm bushings you will probably need a puematic chisel to remove the bushing. Their is little for me to do to help you cause this is like performing surgery without being their! I can give you tips like the one about removing the springs safely. You should know that to do both sides will take a day each as it's a long process if done properly, be sure to torque nut on the ball joint while the truck is jacked up, you never torque them while it's on ride height big NO NO.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:01 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSOB View Post

Thanks!
Oh forgot to tell you before to press in the bushings you could use a old fashion C Clamp like Brink and Cotton cast iron ones, I have one from the 40's I think anyways a good clamp and two small pieces of wood and a channel lock. Take the two pieces of wood.... (common sense stuff goes here).... Then use the channel lock to twist the clamps T-Handle when it becomes to hard to do by hand...
Old 09-11-2011, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the tips and info. I'll give consideration to just having it done!

Old 09-13-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
I do know that for the upper control arm bushings you will probably need a puematic chisel to remove the bushing.
Back when I was doing mechanic work on the side, taking out the old bushing was simply a matter of burning it out with a torch. Did that on plenty of Fords.

I'd be interested to see some illustrations on doing this job (aside from the Haynes book I have).