DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: laramie
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
hemi4life is on a distinguished road
Default question about magnaflow

Ive read some topics about the magna flow exhausts and am not extremely knowledgable on them to be honest. Can you just simply swap the old dual exhaust a with magna flow? What size is ridiculously loud, in-between, or quieter than stock? I want something with more "growl" but not hear you a mile away. Also whats the cost average /w install for a new system?

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2011, 08:42 PM
erm

Normally, yes you can swap over but you may end up having to make up a bit of length or angles with some extra pipe and transitions. But any good shop can do that easily enough.

A 14" muffler will be louder than an 18" which will be louder than a 22" and on and on. I have an 18" Magnaflow single in / dual out muffler on my Ram and like the sound. But, it may be too loud or too quiet for you. I'd go listen to some soundclips to get an idea of what different systems and size mufflers sound like.

Costs depend on shop rates in the local area. I've found it cheaper to purchase new mufflers and let the shop fab up some new tailpipes vs. getting a full catback. Plus, working with the local business helps your local economy and gives you a place to go back to if something goes wrong.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn quad cab
Color: Bright White
Rep:112
Jixer will become famous soon enoughJixer will become famous soon enough

Hemi- I just installed a 22" magnaflow as just a muffler swap. It is a single in/dual out like Maddog's and yes you have to fabricate pieces. I had to add approx 10" of pipe on the inlet, and had to add two pipes for the duals approx 4-6". Reason for the dual addition is the outlet of the magnaflow was 2.5" and the stock exhaust is 2.25" so we had to expand out a piect of 2.25 to equal the 2.5 of the magnaflow. Cost with materials was $80 tax included.

I used clamps for the muffler to be sure I liked the exhaust note, otherwise it was going back to stock. Now that I like it, I will weld the magnaflow where it meet the pipes extensions, but keep the clamps where it mounts to the factory exhaust. This way I can always return to stock if need be. The sound is just a bit louder than stock, but nowhere near loud. You cannot hear it a block away. Look up "K&N series 63 for '11 Hemi" in this forum for pics of the install. Good Luck!!

K&N series 63 CAI - 22" Magnaflow muffler - MyGiG Lockpick V.4 - Rhino spray in bedliner - Truxedo LoPro tonneau cover - front and rear view cameras - side steps - tow hooks - skid plates - slush mats
Old 09-13-2011, 08:56 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

i just recently installed a magnaflow cat back on my 09 sport and i think it comes with a 22 inch muffler and i absolutley love the sound of it but i kinda wish it had a 18 inch but thats just me but over all i love the sound of it when at idol you can barley hear it but when you step on it a lil you can defently hear a growl....sorry i cant help you with any shop rates as i installed mine myself and it was a breeze but all you gotta do is call around to different shops and tell them what you want and they will give you a quote and then just go from there
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 09-13-2011, 09:03 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn quad cab
Color: Bright White
Rep:112
Jixer will become famous soon enoughJixer will become famous soon enough

Hemi- Here is the link. http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=90471 And I agree with Platinum, I kinda wish I had the 18" if nothing else, just for a little bit more noise.

K&N series 63 CAI - 22" Magnaflow muffler - MyGiG Lockpick V.4 - Rhino spray in bedliner - Truxedo LoPro tonneau cover - front and rear view cameras - side steps - tow hooks - skid plates - slush mats
Old 09-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking for a Magnaflow DIY replacement muffler, check out Magnaflow. They offer a pre-fabricated kit with your choice of Magnaflow muffler this is DIY with nothing more than a 15mm socket.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 09-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram 1500 crew cab
Trim Level: big horn sport
Color: white gold
glimmerman is on a distinguished road

just got magna flows put in mine, single in and dual out..cost was 120 bucks welded on..sounds good..its a nice deep sound...
Old 09-13-2011, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
kewlguy53403 is on a distinguished road

From your description I think you'd want the 18, but listen to some you tube clips to make sure. I was in the same position and went with the 18 and am very happy with it.
Raptor Step & Bed Rails | K&N | BakFlip HD | Halo Proj. LIghts | Recon Brake Lights | DDM HIDs | Big Rig Lights | Night Raider Taillight Bar | Volant CAI | Magnaflow 18 | MGP Caliper Covers | Lower Billet Grill | 20% Tint | Blistein 5100 @ 2.8 | 34" Tires | Dipped Chrome
Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Sounds like my best option is most likely an 18 and find a good shop to install but buy the 18 online or a part store. Ill take the advice and listen to some sound files. Just to be sure. Ill probably get some tips too I was thinking 4 inch is a nice size? Not sure what length is good 9 or so ?

I plan on this being a gift to myself for passing current year of electrical =) and my first mod on my new truck. Gotta pop that cherry haha

Appreciate it,
Mark
Old 09-14-2011, 06:34 PM

I just listened to a bunch of youtube videos of the 14 inch and 18 inch its gonna be a hard choice they sound similar over the computer... Both sound amazing compared to stock though =) Either one I'm sure is a great choice vs stock.