DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 dodge ram
Trim Level: Daytona
Color: go man go
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:108
DAYTONA81 will become famous soon enoughDAYTONA81 will become famous soon enough

Well im sure power will do it but my question is if any dealer has given anyone some shit due to a tune
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2011, 11:05 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post
I am working with Alto to put together a better friction pack for us. When I rebuilt my trans, they did not have a solution for the 2C frictions, so I used some Raybestos clutches, but they did not last. I now have all Alto Red Eagle single sided frictions, upgraded low/reverse sprag, TransGo shift kit, upgraded trans pump bypass valve, and a Sonnax line pressure booster.
How is this new setup working for you?
Old 09-15-2011, 12:02 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:539
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYTONA81 View Post
Well im sure power will do it but my question is if any dealer has given anyone some shit due to a tune

Problem is most of the guys burning up transmissions are WAY beyond a simple tune adjustment.

You can remove a tune easily enough and most dealers would never know,
its not that easy to remove a Cam/Heads and Headers that have to have a custom tune to run properly.

I agree with MGH, 2nd prime up shifts while racing are not an issue, its the overdrive frictions that are burning up in 3rd 4th and 5th.
...also down shifting from an overdrive gear to 2nd prime is not good either.

I have a Sonnax line pressure booster on the way to help increase clutch pressure in an attempt to limit clutch pack slippage.
and I'm already hunting down a used 545RFE to build up, good source for parts here:

http://www.transmissionsone.com/45rf...s_from_pat.htm
The Ram 45 transmission comes with the high performance Sonnax Line Pressure Booster, Transgo Shift Kit, Second Clutch Red Eagle Power Pack. This Power Pack adds one extra clutch for a 50% increase in holding power plus better clutch material and Kolene steels, Forth Clutch Red Eagle Power Pack. This Power Pack adds one extra clutch for a 33% increase in holding power plus better clutch material and Kolene steels. Overdrive and Underdrive Red Eagle Power Packs are installed. Alto Red Eagle heavy duty clutch material on the other clutches, 11 5/8" heavy duty / performance torque converter (#45T) with a carbon fiber clutch, all bearing construction and furnace brazed fins. You can order stall speeds up to 3400 RPM. The newly developed Sonnax Line Pressure Booster makes it possible to override the factory pressure settings on a permanent basis. This is something that couldn't be done before now. Plus you can upgrade to a deep cast aluminum pan with fins that holds over 3 extra quarts of transmission fluid (#8X, $235.00). The price includes a free PATC T-shirt and we pay the freight up to $110.00. This means the freight runs from free to $140.00 after freight discount in most cases. All of this can be yours without a trade-in for $2899.00. Be one of the first to get the RAM 45 transmission for your Hemi. We have had a zero percent failure rate on this transmission with motors under 500 horse. Return your transmission core for a $300.00 refund less the freight to get it here. Call 1-888-8771008 to order.
We are now building the 45RFE / 545RFE with all Alto Red Eagle clutches including four Power Packs and the newly developed Sonnax Line Pressure Booster making it possible to override the factory pressure settings on a permanent basis. The factory transmission controller has always been a problem with this transmission. Combine 30% more clutch apply area with 30 PSI more line pressure and this is winning combination. All of this is going to make this a very strong transmission.
Fits 2000-up Dodge 4.7L V-8 2WD and 4WD and 2003-up Dodge HEMI 5.7L V-8 2WD and 4WD.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-15-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:30 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
...also down shifting from an overdrive gear to 2nd prime is not good either.
downshifting is the real problem. In reality downshifting into any gear is harder on it than up shifting to a gear.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:59 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:539
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

The problem is how do you pass a slow moving semi or a blue hair on a busy two way single lane highway
without the trans downshifting to 2nd prime...since that's the kick-down (aka passing gear) for a an auto in "D" at highway speeds (overdrive).

Stupid Dodge

That's why my truck is a city commuter only during the week, (1-2-3 shifts only)
and a weekend warrior at the track (1-2-2pr-3) and yes I manually shift it most of the time.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP
Old 09-15-2011, 01:10 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Yeah of course people have to downshift, I think the problem is that some people like to get going on an on ramp, then when they merge they like to floor it to feel the power....I think if you drive normally it wouldn't be an issue, and up shifting through 2nd prime wouldn't be an issue. kay9: were you having problems even with up shifting through 2nd prime?

Old 09-15-2011, 01:58 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Satin Orange
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

Only have a SC3815 to help w/ tcm shifts but i cant think of a time of when the truck went into a upshift-2P while up shifting. I had issues with DSP that while going WOT from idle it would go to 1-2-3 then kick down to 2P and then back to 3. Going back to SC3815 took that away.

I just adjust my driving and the use of cruise control that i rarely need to go into passing gear...Been very good in keeping out of OD when going WOT....

Folks prob use 2P to get around me lol.

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 09-15-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:06 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Satin Orange
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

I do wonder if there is any strength difference's between the 3G and 4G drive shafts and u-joints.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport RCSB
Color: Black
Rep:27
mgh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefred112 View Post
so you think boosting line pressure would work for me too?.. I like collecting trannys as well...lol

Yes, boosting the line pressure will help you. The reason that I am getting such a boost is because I upgraded the bypass valve.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:54 PM

The sonnax line pressure booster.....I'm skeptical of this, but I see it's offered with the HP transmission....does anyone know exactly how this works, how exactly it boosts line pressure? I've heard people use it and have issues.