DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Stay away from the sonnax line pressure booster this was the other reason why my tranny went.
See comments like this make me nervous lol. I can't decide if I want to try it...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 09-16-2011, 10:24 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:530
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

You've got to take those comments with a grain of salt and compare apples to apples, I'd say running 370 WHP kills more transmissions than increasing the holding pressure of the clutch pack in the transmission.

I mean really the physical difference is holding the clutch pack with more pressure vs allowing it to slip and burn off the friction material.

Ask MGH, with 500 WHP Twin Turbo's on his 4G, The weakest link in the transmission is the overdrive frictions/steels
as soon as you hit 3rd gear or higher at WOT your going to start wearing those down. If you have 30+ HP over stock they will wear out much Faster/Sooner, that's a given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post
That has not been my problem. I think the real problem with the 45-545RFE is line pressure. If you look at the 68RFE guys, they are boosting their line pressure because they can tune their TCM like the LX guys. The more pressure we can get on these clutches, the more they will be able to hold.
For those who dont fully understand how a modern trans and torque converter work... One of my posts from "another forum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter_ View Post
lots of good info here myoung84. i have a question though: when using ERS mode cant you technically take advantage of all 6 cogs by way of up-shifting one last time to exit ERS mode and enter 'D' which will eventually put you into "6th" gear? granted the last 2 cogs are overdrives, but still wouldn't it go something like this...

1=1st – 3.00:1
2=2nd – 1.67:1
3=2nd Prime – 1.50:1
4=3rd – 1.00:1
5=4th – 0.75:1
6=5th - 0.67:1 (by way of exiting ERS mode)
The 545RFE, and most newer auto transmissions dont have a large number of individual "Gogs" like a manual,
it uses a series of clutches and bands that act as brakes to control several rotating housings with just a few planetary gears that are always turning.

..and here's one of the best I've seen on Torque Converters...

...I was doing some research when ordering my Edge 2800 stall and had these bookmarked.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-16-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:33 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I would like more line pressure/firmer shifts/less slipping. I really don't care at all how "comfortable" it shifts. I'd rather it be firm. Just still slightly skeptical on any bad side effects of the line pressure booster...but agree more power obviously makes it harder on the transmission. I'll get it figured out...

Also, with the 4.7L I have a fair amount less power and torque than you hemi guys, but the same transmission, so I have alot less to worry about. My engine will never output more than 300rwhp, and that's if I do every mod that I have planned, and that's still probably out of reach. After all my mods I'll maybe be in the range of the stock 2nd gen hemi. I probably sit around 240rwhp currently. Getting another 60 rwhp from other bolt ons is not likely. If I did head work and cams, 300-350 rwhp is plausible, but I don't think I want to spend all that money on the truck.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport RCSB
Color: Black
Rep:27
mgh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTex View Post
Stay away from the sonnax line pressure booster this was the other reason why my tranny went.
Not trying to start anything with you, but what proof do you have that higher line pressure caused trans failure?
I have worked with a lot of different automatic transmissions and the only way to get them to handle more power is to boost line pressure one way or another. In the older transmissions, I would put stronger springs in the accumulator, or put check balls in some of the passages in the valve body to get more fluid to the clutches.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:10 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:530
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Yeah this forum and the buell forum I'm on take up all my computer time lol. I probably spend an hour every evening on here, and 15-30 minutes every evening on the buell forum lol! I can't believe you guys belong to multiple forums like this, I'd have no time left after checking the messages haha. Usually on friday morning my wife will say to me "can we go on a date tonight, and can you stay off the forum for 24 hours?" lol. Thanks for the info, I'm sure I will try it out at some point and see how it goes.

You've made over 2300 posts on RamForumz alone since Jan11? OMG!

My post count here is only a quarter of yours lol and I've been here over twice as long....since July 2010.
Even my total posts on DT are only 1534 but that started there 7 years ago in Feb.04' when I had a 3G Hemi QC.

just sayin LOL!

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP
Old 09-16-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
You've made over 2300 posts on RamForumz alone since Jan11? OMG!

My post count here is only a quarter of yours lol and I've been here over twice as long....since July 2010.
Even my total posts on DT are only 1534 but that started there 7 years ago in Feb.04' when I had a 3G Hemi QC.

just sayin LOL!
Very true. I do post a lot....but I just try to answer people's questions, and comment on people's posts, and ask my own questions lol. Several posts an hour or so a night, and probably more on weekends, plus I pretty much always have the browser opened up with the forum, and check it throughout the day. I went on vacation for a weekend and came back to an inbox overloaded with forum messages haha, so I try to check it all day. I do my searching and time consuming stuff in those hours in the evenings.

Imagine if I posted this much on several forums, Yikes!

Old 09-16-2011, 05:39 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

Maybe your keyboard needs a Sonnax lol. Becareful of those space bar kick downs.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:40 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Ram Daytona
Color: Silver / Go Mango
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:103
smeers59 will become famous soon enoughsmeers59 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I would like more line pressure/firmer shifts/less slipping. I really don't care at all how "comfortable" it shifts. I'd rather it be firm. Just still slightly skeptical on any bad side effects of the line pressure booster...but agree more power obviously makes it harder on the transmission. I'll get it figured out...

Also, with the 4.7L I have a fair amount less power and torque than you hemi guys, but the same transmission, so I have alot less to worry about. My engine will never output more than 300rwhp, and that's if I do every mod that I have planned, and that's still probably out of reach. After all my mods I'll maybe be in the range of the stock 2nd gen hemi. I probably sit around 240rwhp currently. Getting another 60 rwhp from other bolt ons is not likely. If I did head work and cams, 300-350 rwhp is plausible, but I don't think I want to spend all that money on the truck.
I have been running the Sonnax for about 2 months now. I am quite impressed how it helped with shifting, I did not expect that big of difference.
Daytona 00293, 3.92, 4X4, Custom Two-Tone Silver / GoManGo Paint, Custom Vortex Hidden Exhaust, Sonnax Trans Line Booster, AirRam Scoop, Stubby Antenna, Spectre Breather Filter, 22" SRT-10 GunMetal Rims, Fully DeBadged, Injen PowerFlow Intake w/ PowerBox, DSP Performance 93 Tune
Old 09-19-2011, 01:34 AM
johnnyh

I remember when I use to have my silverado, reading something about boosting the line pressure was a fast easy way to do it, but I ended up putting in corvette servos that actually had more surface area for the pressure to hold better on a specific shift(1st to 2nd if I recall) or something along those lines, which was a more direct approach than just upping line pressure. Food for though I suppose
Old 09-19-2011, 01:53 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 4x4 Crew
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:147
FormerGorilla will become famous soon enoughFormerGorilla will become famous soon enough

All this is great info, IMO it really needs it's own thread. I think the original poster was more interested in how the dealer treated your repair on a truck with a tune loaded (if and if not they knew). I hope I'm not out of line saying that...Daytona, can you confirm?
MODS LIST! -- 20% Tint, Curt Rec. Hitch, Slimline Toolbox, Huskyliner mats, Huskyliner Mud guards, 18" Gear Wheels, 33" Hankook ATM Tires, Bilstein 5100's at 1.4", Ported Foxbox w/2 10" Polk Subs & JL 500W Amp, Mufflex 24" Exhaust, Tow Hooks, Dominator II Step Bars, GatorHyde Spray-In Bedliner