DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 4x4 4.7 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
snookomatic is on a distinguished road
Default 2005 Temp gauge question, with pictue.

Hello, and thanks in advance for any replies.

I just bought a 2005 RAM 1500 4x4 Quad Cab 4.7 Magnum one owner with 90,250 miles. Nice, seems to be a well taken care of truck.

Anyway the temp gauge rises to "one to two needle widths" or 1.5mm past center when I am going 65+mph, when I drop down to less than 45mph, all the way to an idle, it will be at the center point. Around town it seems to stay at the center point. If I am going 55mph and floor it it to pass the gauge will go to the "one to two needle widths" or 1.5mm past center point, once there, it stops and will not climb higher. I can floor it while it is at the "one to two needle widths" or 1.5mm past center point and it will not climb higher.

I live in SC, it is somewhat humid now and 85-90 degrees.

It only moves from dead center to the point shown in the picture or "one to two needle widths" or 1.5mm past center point. The picture was taken at 68mph. It is a small amount of movement but it seems to be more than I have ever seen in a vehicle before.

I have called several Dodge dealers and explained the above thoroughly and all of them say this is normal, one said they get called and asked this a lot. Seems like the gauge moves a lot to me.

Anyway, thanks for helping out the new guy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Image.jpg (30.5 KB, 21 views)
Sponsored links
Old 09-16-2011, 06:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:37
DadzDodge is on a distinguished road

It doesn't sound like you have a problem, but if the temperature variations get too far from normal, and to the point where you are worrying about it a lot, you might start thinking about a new thermostat. But for now, what you're describing seems normal. I say that based on the fact that I just replaced the thermostat in my son's '96 truck.

Before the replacement, our temperature gauge was all over the place. It seems the thermostat was opening too early, or it was staying open all the time, because the guage never reached normal. It would climb to maybe 185 when in stop and go traffic and while going up long, steep grades, and then fall way back down to maybe 160 degrees when coasting downhill. Now, with the new thermostat, upon engine start-up the temperature slowly climbs to just barely beyond the 200 degree line and then falls back down to just a needle-width below that line, and moves a bit to either side of the 200 degree line while driving. It will move between these two points, about two needle-widths, as driving conditions change, but always comes back to 195 pretty quickly.

As long as your gauge is staying within a needle-width or two of your thermostat's rated temperature, you can relax and enjoy the ride. It's good that you're keeping an eye on it, though.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram SRT10 RC 6spd
Trim Level: SRT10 RC
Color: Brilliant black
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:145
05ram will become famous soon enough05ram will become famous soon enough

That seems a little high, my 05 hemi never went past half way and then the factory thermostat opened, with the 180 I put in it never gets to half way even in summer, driving hard. Maybe just do a thermostat and coolant change. Keep us posted.
2004 SRT10 RC in black, with 500+HP, B&G Stage2 PCM, K&N drop in, JMB Catless mids, JTSVP Gen1 shifter, all synthetic fluids, lots of underhood billet with a Snakeskin radiator cover from JTSHydro, LED tails, BedRug, colormatched tonneau!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:23 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Doesn't seem too abnormal, but you could have apartially blocked/sticking thermostat, or partially blocked cooling system in general. Also possible to have air in the system. Another possibility but I doubt it would be the water pump.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:23 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F-150
Trim Level: XLT
Color: Metallic Blue
Rep:91
bigdaddyII will become famous soon enough

Replace the thermostat and flush coolant and put in new. The only time my 02 4.7 rose above the halfway mark is when my radiator was plugged. This is not an engine you want to run hot as the aluminum heads are prone to warping and head gaskets are prone to fail.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyII View Post
Replace the thermostat and flush coolant and put in (a) new (one).
did just that -

Flushed the coolant, new t-stat, realized that it has a new radiator (Just bought the truck with 90K on the odo -I thought that it looked new, the dealer confirmed that is was) Well it runs straight up and down now, maybe a little left of center to dead center. goes a bit off center to the hot when I get on it, but the needle is always covering the center mark and it is not very noticeable. Seems much better now. I think he used a 190 T-stat. what it the recommended t-stat temp? Do these trucks have a histor of overheating?

I hear good things about these truck, lots of people have a lot of miles on theirs. Thanks again for all the replies. I will keep ya'll posted.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Update, overheating is back!!! HELP!!!

Again thanks in advance and sorry for the long post, just thought I would be thorough as I really want to resolve this issue, and that's hard to do without knowing the whole story!

Ok, so here is what is happening- (still runs hot under load...actually a very light load and only at highway speeds) as stated, the dealer who sold me the truck, replaced the T-stat, and "flushed the coolant" (I don't think they truly flushed radiator, they certainly did not flush the cooling system) the truck still seems to run hot (see picture). It has not overheated in the true sense or spewed coolant. When I stop the truck after driving a bit let it rest for 5-10 min and I get back in the gauge goes to 2/3rds then it will go back to center. Seems to have 100% power, in other words it seems to run strong.

Until last week everything seemed to be ok. I was driving home on flat ground, going about 65 into a very strong headwind (25-30mph sustained wind with 35+ gusts) and the truck ran hot, gauge went to about 2-3 needle widths past center. I don't think a strong wind should have such a dramatic impact. What is going to happen when I tow my small 2000lb boat!!! Runs normal around town, but under load it goes real warm.

When I floor it doing 65mph to pass, the temp will actually go down. but then when I go back to cruising in the headwind it will go back to 2-3 needle widths past center. It seems to run hot with a sustained load at highway speeds. Again, the truck does not seem to be down on power at all, quite stout actually in terms of performance.

So stay with me here, I have two theories.

First theory, simply put - clogged radiator or cooling system - not only does it seem to have the symptoms of a clogged radiator, but when I opened the rad. cap i saw a crap load of bronze copper stuff, which I thought was a stop leak of some sort. What detracts from this theory is the fact that it has what appears to be a new radiator. So my thought is that the previous owner in a failed attempt to fix a leak deposited this crap in the system, it did not work, so he replaced the rad without flushing all the leak fix out and now the leak fix is clogging or "bottlenecking" the system.

Side note - The clutch fan was a little stiff, in other words it would not spin freely (with the truck off), well it would spin it just seemed to be stiff. I sprayed some PB lube on it and now it spins freely. Does the clutch fan even engage at 65-70 mph?

Second theory, simply put - clogged exhaust - it has the dreaded broken rear passenger side exhaust bolt. It is loud at start-up but then gets quieter as it heats up. My thought is that the gasket, which is or was loose around the failed stud is now partially blocking the exhaust port or has plugged the cat and is causing residual heat to build up in the head.

Again these are theories, what do ya'll think...I've never had a car where the temp gauge moved as much.

Thanks for the help!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Temp Gauge.jpg (100.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-31-2011, 04:33 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'd rule out the exhaust scenario, a blocked exhaust would cause issues with how the engine runs, power, mpg, etc... I'd say radiator as my best guess right now. Mech fan wouldn't matter at highway speeds even if it wasn't working properly. What may be happening is you have a partially clogged radiator, and the reason it cools off when you floor it is because the water pump is spinning faster when the engine rpms rise and this forces more water through the partially clogged radiator. My best guess...

Old 10-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I'd rule out the exhaust scenario, a blocked exhaust would cause issues with how the engine runs, power, mpg, etc... I'd say radiator as my best guess right now. Mech fan wouldn't matter at highway speeds even if it wasn't working properly. What may be happening is you have a partially clogged radiator, and the reason it cools off when you floor it is because the water pump is spinning faster when the engine rpms rise and this forces more water through the partially clogged radiator. My best guess...

I think it is the latter as well, the reason why I had doubt is that the dealer said that it did not need to be flushed, it's a newer rad. I think that a new quality radiator will do the trick. Do you know if I can install one from a HD truck, of is there a good aftermarket brand? just seems like the stock is not up tho the task...right now I'm terrified to tow a boat with it running warm with a strong headwind! Thanks for the help! Also, another member suggested that what is happening is totally normal. link to thread - http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=95548 Thanks again, Ty
Old 10-31-2011, 05:21 PM

I don't really have any other info, I know my dad's 2005 4.7L does not get hot though, even towing heavy loads like 5,000 lb at 65 mph.