DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts
Mopar Online Parts!

Old 09-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:109
Niko will become famous soon enoughNiko will become famous soon enough
Default Projector headlight HID installation help

I know a few people have installed projector headlights (Recon, Spyder) in their trucks along with HID kits. Maybe you guys could answer some of my installation issues.

I installed normal projector headlights in my old 2003 Ram last year with no problem. Installation was really easy. They looked great. The light output was okay but not great. I traded that truck in on a new 2011 Ram 1500 and I want to put projector headlights in it. But I decided to also install HIDs in the high and low beams for better light output. Some of the roads in my area of Denver don't have many street lights. HIDs purchased throught DDM.

I haven't taken my stock headlights out of the truck yet. I wanted to get the HIDs into the new projector headlight housing first in case there were any issues. That may answer some of my questions but I am not sure.

On the original wiring for the projector headlights there are blue and black wires going to the low beam light and red and black wires going to the high beam light. These two sets of wires come together to plug into the truck light wiring harness. I have it circled in the first picture. Do trucks with Quad headlights (my truck has quads) have 2 seperate light wiring harnesses - 1 for low and 1 for high beams or just one wiring harness controlling both the high and low beams?

I installed the high beam HID into the headlight housing with no problem. (I think anyway) Should I cut the HID wires that you don't plug into the ballast or will I use them later? Some installation videos say to just cut them.

My biggest problem has been installing the H1 low beam HID kit. On the H1 assembly, there are a pair of red (+) and black (-) wires. (Black arrows on the second pic) According to the instructions from DDM, they are supposed to be plugged into the blue (+) and black (-) wires in the headlight assembly wiring. (Red arrows on the second pic) Those original wires (blue and black) connect to the wires from the high beam (which you don't use due to the HID kits wiring) and plug into the truck headlight wiring. (Circled plug/harness in the first and second pics.) When I am using both high and low beam HID kits, do I need to plug the red and black wires from the H1 HID bulb wires to the blue and black original projector housing wires or are they no longer needed since I am using HID kits for both?

Sorry for the long write up. I would love to get these installed asap and am just a little confused. I know Bordin has basically the same setup and a few others. Please any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Niko; 09-16-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2011, 08:46 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Hi, have you tried to PM the guys who've done it yet? I don't have an answer but someone will see this and pop in.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:24 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Wow what a wiring nightmare!!!!

On your truck, you should have two plugs, one for high one for low? I know i did... Are you sure you had the quad setup stock?

If it were me i would do away with that two into one thing, make connectors on the HID end and on the stock harness end with my own clips and try it that way?

I dont think im going to be much more help withough having them infront of me to work on

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 09-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT - Big Horn
Color: Silver
Rep:19
illadvised is on a distinguished road

From what I remember... the vehicle harness has one plug coming into the head lamp assembly. Inside the headlamp assembly, it splits the High/Low beam...

I have quads, and when I hooked up my low beam HID, I had to run only one side back out of the headlamp assembly into the harness to switch the relay on/off.

so on one side only, the vehicle harness plugs into the headlamp still... then back from the low beam plug to the relay, from the relay to both ballast. Each ballast goes right to each bulb. EDIT: for functional high beams the vehicle harness is still plugged into the headlamp assembly, its just not plugged into the bulb inside the headlamp assembly.

Since you don't have the stock headlamp assembly anymore... you will need to either remove the internal harness from a headlamp assembly, or make your own "Y" harness adapter to run your high and low beams... OR you could find the 3 prong plug and wire it to one plug again. You should only need one of these to go on the side where you mount your relays. The only side will just be wired bulb to ballast, ballast to relay.

are you high and low both going to HID? if you are keeping your highs halogen, you will need to wire the other side too.

hopefully this helps...
Old 09-18-2011, 10:23 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:109
Niko will become famous soon enoughNiko will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies. Was PMing with Bordin and got some good help. Thanks, Bordin.

I think I have the wiring figured out. Now I have to wait for the set error code eliminators for the high beam HIDs. Then I can install them. I will post pics once they are installed and running.

Yeah I definitely have the quad setup stock - separate lights for high and low beams.
I will see once I open up the front of the truck how many connections I have and install from there.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Slt
Color: blue
Rep:33
scapegoat32 is on a distinguished road
Default hid

Hey Niko how did you make out with this issue? I have the same thing going on and i cant figure it out for the life of me. thanks
Old 01-21-2012, 09:32 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport Ram Hood
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:516
Bordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....00K+Projectors

Might give you some incite.

I did take the highbeams out they worked worth *hit.I installed some Recon Halogens for my highs. Im running a set of 6" PIAA offroad lights for my highbeams. The lows and fogs are plenty enough for me. I get flashed constantly
Old 01-22-2012, 08:01 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Months and no reply... i wonder how it ever turned out. Those wires are a mess in those pics lol

on a side note YAY Bordin is back again! lol

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 01-22-2012, 08:28 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport Ram Hood
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:516
Bordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of light

Took me long enough eh ah, work and the can am forum have been keeping me busy lately.

Damn bush camps have no cell or internet service, which blows!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:46 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Damn sory man never saw this post should of shot me a pm