DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-17-2011, 01:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Nufy is on a distinguished road
Default Under Hood Lamp install

So I purchased a under hood lamp for my 2011 Ram Sport that didn't have one from the factory.

When I went to install it I noticed there was no wiring in the place where the light attaches.

I assume its part of the wiring harness but need to know where to start looking before I start pulling parts off my truck.

Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 09-17-2011, 01:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Don't know but if you figure it out post it because I'd be interested in doing this. Thanks.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:37 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:83
Drake371 will become famous soon enough

I been wanting to do this on my truck for awhile as well
Old 09-17-2011, 03:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram sport QC 1500 black
Trim Level: luxury sport
Color: sparkly black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
djnwc is on a distinguished road

you have to buy the wiring harness for the light as well I have been told as mine didn't come with one either....so back to the dealer you must go....
Old 09-17-2011, 07:41 AM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4X4 Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:2453
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Mine has the light however I can't believe that something as simple as an underhood light would be on some but not others.
BT CC / Hood Kit, LED Tails, Recon 3rd Brake & Xtreme LightBar, Black Aluminum Side Steps, Leer 700, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, MOPAR Valve Caps, Lighted RAM hitch cover, Front Tow Hooks and Bed Post Hide-a-Hooks, Tints (20% frt, 35% rear and slider), Painted Engine Cover/Brake Calipers, K&N Drop in,OEM Fender Flares/ bug deflector, FM 40, SC Cortex, Oracle H11 LED Heads, 4000k Putco Fogs, LED Interior Lights, Honeycomb Grill, Bilstien 5100's.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:04 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I'm just thinking out loud here.....

I'm thinking that there has to be an easier way than tapping in to the wiring harness (which sounds expensive if you buy the one from MOPAR).

If you go to an electronics supply store (Radio Shack or something similar) you should be able to find a motion switch in the proper voltage/ amperage. These used to be called mercury switches, though I'm not sure what they're called now.... in a nut shell when the switch senses that you've raised the hood, it'll turn on the light, but when it senses that the hood is closed then the light will say off.

Tie all of this in to your battery along with the proper fuse, and perhaps a relay and you have what you're looking for, at a fraction of the price.

I will do some research on finding they type of switch I'm talking about

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 09-17-2011, 08:17 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Mopar makes one for about 20 bucks (I think) but you have to get the harness that will plug into the light and I'm not sure about that price. I think the other end has a ground and hot to connect your battery. I believe that one works something like a mercury switch. Quadratec makes one for the jeep but it's 60 bucks and that one works like the old door spring switches. You have to mount the switch in a place where it will come on and go out when depressed (shutting the hood). There are also flexible (self adhering)and non flexible led strips if you like the bling thing. I don't know much about them other than seeing them when I searched for a hood light for my truck. I decided to wait and see one in person and gave up on it.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:20 AM

RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
Mine has the light however I can't believe that something as simple as an underhood light would be on some but not others.
Well then I would think the dealer would have one if it is available on some trucks, right?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:36 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

The best I could come up with, using my sleep deprived brain was this one from Amazon. It's a lot cheaper than $60, but it doesn't give any specs, other than to say it's for several automotive applications

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 09-17-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansRAM View Post
I just called my dealer and they still can't find a part number for the wiring harness without the vin # from a truck like yours that has one. So in order for Nufy to get this from the dealer, you would have to give him your vin number unless there's another way.