DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:120
ironchef2011 will become famous soon enoughironchef2011 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ironchef2011, thanks brother for this post and information on the other ones. It is so funny I was looking at the same JL Audio speakers for my 2009 Ram. I was also going to have 2 JL 10W1V2-4s under the backseat in place of the 1 factory sub. However, I was looking at installing the C2-350x in the ceiling also. I see from your picture they may not fit. I was looking at pushing all of the speakers with a JL XD700/5. Well at least that is what my installer suggested. He was looking at installing a JL LC2I to have the factory head unit push it all. If you could let me know what you think about all of this. For that matter if anyone else has any input let me know.
This all came about when I installed a pair of JL TR650-CXi and a pair of JL TR650-CSi speakers in my son's Chevy Colorado. I hooked up a JL JX360/4 to push them all. No sub as of yet because he is only 15. The sound is crazy coming from those speakers. Couldn't have his truck sound better than mine...LOL

I was uncomfortable in doing this myself to my truck even though I did it to his truck. Thanks for the confidence booster.

ChiefRam
Hey Chief,
Glad I could help my friend. As for your thought of installing the 3.5" in the headliner, don't do it. They won't fit and that's not where you want sound coming from. The two most important areas in the Ram to improve IMO is the dash speakers first and then the sub. By eliminating the center and using the JL 3.5's in the left/right dash, it was a huge improvement. The door speakers weren't nearly as important and if I had it to do over again I wouldn't waste the time or money there. The sub however was a nice bonus but be sure to install the line output control knob with the amplifier. It's really nice to be able to control the bass depending on the style of music and volume. As for the number of subs, it all comes down to your music preference. But I've yet to find an installation whereby a single JL 10W3v3 wasn't able to hold its own and impress the hell out of it's owner. I simply can't say enough about the amazing combination of the small, digital JL amplifier and their enclosure/sub set. If you just did the dash, amp and sub, you'd be thrilled with the results.

And in my opinion, the speaker amplifier, door speakers, headliner speakers and converters are all a waste unless you're going to replace everything and go high end. But at volume 20-24, my system is powerful as hell and has wonderful imaging.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Austin Tan/Light Graystone
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:22
ChiefRam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef2011 View Post
Hey Chief,
Glad I could help my friend. As for your thought of installing the 3.5" in the headliner, don't do it. They won't fit and that's not where you want sound coming from. The two most important areas in the Ram to improve IMO is the dash speakers first and then the sub. By eliminating the center and using the JL 3.5's in the left/right dash, it was a huge improvement. The door speakers weren't nearly as important and if I had it to do over again I wouldn't waste the time or money there. The sub however was a nice bonus but be sure to install the line output control knob with the amplifier. It's really nice to be able to control the bass depending on the style of music and volume. As for the number of subs, it all comes down to your music preference. But I've yet to find an installation whereby a single JL 10W3v3 wasn't able to hold its own and impress the hell out of it's owner. I simply can't say enough about the amazing combination of the small, digital JL amplifier and their enclosure/sub set. If you just did the dash, amp and sub, you'd be thrilled with the results.

And in my opinion, the speaker amplifier, door speakers, headliner speakers and converters are all a waste unless you're going to replace everything and go high end. But at volume 20-24, my system is powerful as hell and has wonderful imaging.
Thanks brother for the reply. It is sad when people try to take advantage of you when you go to get information. If the installer knew they would not fit he should have said something. He even stated that they have done that before, yeah right. Glad I checked here first before spending any money. I did the same thing with my son's truck @ coloradofan. The cool thing is I never tell them that I have been repairing medical equipment for the last 16 years in the Navy. Just want to get their recommendation for sound since they do this all the time. Thanks for people like yourself.

I looked at your sub setup and was wondering did you build the box or did you buy it? If so, where from if you do not mind me asking. Also, my music taste varies and thanks for the info about the line output control knob with the amplifier.

If I have questions when I start I will give you a holla, if you do not mind.

Thanks,
ChiefRam
Old 02-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Black
Rep:120
ironchef2011 will become famous soon enoughironchef2011 will become famous soon enough

Hey Chief,
Feel free to PM me whenever you want, I'd be honored to lend a hand. As for the sub, it's a JL Stealthbox and is sold as a complete set with the sub already mounted. Plug and play!
Old 02-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Hey Chief,
Feel free to PM me whenever you want, I'd be honored to lend a hand. As for the sub, it's a JL Stealthbox and is sold as a complete set with the sub already mounted. Plug and play!
Thanks brother.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:19
Bg Rd Ram is on a distinguished road

This is one of the most detailed threads on the site! Very informative for all of us who need pictures! I plan on putting the JL dash speakers in later this week! I have run into an issue with the subs in the back. I recently put 2 10JLW3's in the back with an JL XD600. When I have passengers in the back they can significantly feel the speaker grill, with one comment "It feels like it is spreading my cheeks." Is there a fix for this? I've seen some reference to raising the seat, which I'm open to doing. I appreciate all of your help!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x2
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab 4x2
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:103
1miracle2 will become famous soon enough1miracle2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bg Rd Ram View Post
This is one of the most detailed threads on the site! Very informative for all of us who need pictures! I plan on putting the JL dash speakers in later this week! I have run into an issue with the subs in the back. I recently put 2 10JLW3's in the back with an JL XD600. When I have passengers in the back they can significantly feel the speaker grill, with one comment "It feels like it is spreading my cheeks." Is there a fix for this? I've seen some reference to raising the seat, which I'm open to doing. I appreciate all of your help!
LMAO!!! "spreading my cheeks"....
No fix for cheek issues but a company by the name of "JEGS" has some solid raisers on eBay. You should be able to just do a search on eBay.
There's Home Depot of course as well (my local one was out of stock for so long that I found some on eBay instead). There is also other threads around the forum that talk about that as well.
Good luck buddy!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default It is finally done and it sounds amazing.

Quote:
Hey Chief,

Brother,

It is finally done. Last week I finally went ahead and purchased everything. Here is the set-up listed below:

Dash (Left, Right, & Center)- JL Audio TR350-CXi: 3.5-inch Coaxial Speaker

Front Doors - JL Audio TR650-CSi: 6.5-inch 2-Way Component Speaker

Rear Doors / Headliners- JL Audio TR650-CSi: 6.5-inch 2-Way Component Speaker (Woofer in the door & tweeters in the headliner)

Under rear seat - 2 JL Audio 10W1v2-4

All powered by the JL Audio HD900/5: 5 Ch. Class D System Amplifier, 900 W

Didn't have time to install the remote control knob because I am out of town, but it is waiting on me when I get back home. Also, the ChiefRam is getting new shoes (tires and rims) for Father's Day.

I mentioned earlier I was thinking about doing it but, after doing my son's truck it was not in my future. I had a local shop do it and it came out great. Driving up I-95 I was like a kid in a candy store. No wife and kids to tell me to turn it down.

Also, two weeks before this install I installed the NAV-TV with backup camera. I purchased the AV harness and installed my 30GB Ipod in the upper glove box. The truck also has a console vault (safe) under the middle passenger seat in the front. It's a nice place to lock my carry weapon when it is not on me.

All this came about when I bought my wife a new diamond setting for her 2.5 carat that she got when I retired from the Navy. She was so happy she didn't care what I did to the truck.
ChiefRam
Old 05-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x2
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab 4x2
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:103
1miracle2 will become famous soon enough1miracle2 will become famous soon enough

Nice set up bro!
Congrat's, nice move on the wife as well!
Cheers!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1miracle2 View Post
Nice set up bro!
Congrat's, nice move on the wife as well!
Cheers!

Thanks brother. Yes, it was but she deserved it for being married to me...LOL no for real being a military spouse isn't easy. She did for 19 years of my 20 years in the Navy.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 1500 Bighorn crew 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Charcoal
Rep:10
RogueRam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Update: As I indicated in another thread, I tested both with and without the center channel speaker. But first, a little background as to why. In my opinion, a center channel speaker is beneficial in two scenarios: Cinema/DVD audio or regular music, but in both instances the center has to have DSP to provide just a touch of spatial imaging.

The Alpine center channel though is not DSP modified, but rather a crossed over and combined signal from the left and right channels. This might be better if it was also a speaker rated at a much higher ohm resistance to reduce its volume, but instead it's the same as the dash speakers. The result is an overly loud presence that diminishes the width of the sound stage. My JL Audio C2-350x center channel speaker actually made this situation a little worse.

By removing the center channel altogether, the width of the sound now goes from door to door. Further the newly added tweeters, combined with the reflective property of the windshield, make it so there are no gaps in the sound. In other words, it's like the entire dash is like one big stage where as before, my ears would go to the dead center and stay there.
So you just removed or disconnected the center speaker entirely?

I am definitely going to copy you and put those JL dash speakers in. Nice that the grills pop right out.

Are the factory front door speakers low frequecy only? At low volume virtually no sound comes out of my front doors. At mid to high volume I do get low frequency, but no mid and no highs. Is this normal?

Overall I think this 10 speaker Alpine system in my Ram is ok at best. I was expecting a lot better sound.