DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 DODGE RAM 1500 5.9 V8 4x4
Trim Level: SPORT
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
MATT137 is on a distinguished road
Default A/C not blowing cold at all and now truck overheating!

My a/c went out a wile agao and i dont know whats rong. It blows but not cold. Befor it went out the condincer fan was making a noise like somthing was hiting the blades when i first turn on the ac then it quit making the noise after the truck wormed up and the compressor was ingaging but now its not so i think it was the compressor that was making the noise. The hoses going out of the fire wall would freez up to. About two weeks after the a/c went out the truck started running very hot and someone told me that the two were related but still others told me that thay had nothing to do with eachother. I replaced the antifreeze and now it seems not to be gitting to hot but the a/c still dose not work. it has plenty of freeon and the heater works fine to. If aneone has the same problem or some addvice or an opineion on what the problem might be please let me know. Thank you.
The truck is 2002 ram 5.9 v8 4x4 sport
Thank you
Old 09-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '10 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport Q/C
Color: PXR!!!
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:28
jjride is on a distinguished road

if the lines were freezing up, and the compressor was making noise, and... you think the compressor is acting up.. chances are thats a good place to start.
A/C won't work for 2 reasons. Not enough Fluid or compressor is shot. Could also be a compressor clutch issue, but they usually sieze, so you'd know that right away because you'd be without an a/c belt.

Anyone else care to add or correct me, feel free.

The a/c shouldnt be related to the truck over heating. If it was winter and you had no heat, then it could be due to lack of coolant because the coolant also runs though the heater core.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thats what i was thinking to. But its confusing me becaus the compressor was ingageing last week, even after the ac went out and now its not. Have you ever herd a compresson make that noise befor?
Old 09-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The only way the two could be related as far as I know is if The cooling fan is not working and not pulling air through the radiator and AC condensor, but once you start driving it would be back to cold AC and normal temp engine. You'd only have an issue when sitting still, and even then the AC would be coldish at the least.

As far as overheating you need to check water pump, thermostat, or a clog somewhere....can't be much else...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

OK guys, I found a clog in the botom radiator hose and replaced it and put in new coolant so the overheating problem is fixed. Now the ac has a seprit fan than the motor fan and both are in workeng order. SO my suspicion is the compressor has craped out on me even though like I said befor that it used to ingage for like two weeks after it stoped blowing cold but now it does'nt ingage anemore so im still confused. Thanks for the help with the overheating.

this A/C is giveing me a sh!tstorm of problems!!!