DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:25
Ramdad is on a distinguished road
Default 03 Hemi Ram poor throttle response?

I posted this over on the newbie check-in and realized I should be here.
Any thoughts on what could be causing my truck to be sluggish at low rpm/part throttle? (2003 Ram 2500 4x4 CCLB)

Hi folks,
Ive been working on my truck t try and solve the poor throttle response issue. New balanced injectors, new fuel rail, new fuel pump assembly all installed now.
No difference in performance. Has very decent power over 4000rpm @ wot but just seems really sluggish at tip-in and part throttle driving...which is where I always drive it. Also my ,ileage is poor in comparison to other owners on here. Im getting around 10mpg driving carefully at the rural speed limit (50mph/80kph). I was beginning to think the poor low rpm torque is normal for a gas truck of this size....until I took my camper to town for servicing this afternoon. It is 30 feet long and has the ford v10 rated at 365 hp and it is far more responsive then my much lighter ram truck ??
Can anyone speculate as to what it culd be that is holding this truck back? Perhaps the fly by wire throttle? As I side note I had a hemi powered durango back in 04 and I recall it was quite peppy. It must have had the same throttle system?
Also, I did the tmr delete and it helped make the shift less mushy at high throttle openings. I did the throttle reset procedure as well.
My tps reading is 14.5% at idle and 84% at wot. Should it read 100% at full throttle?
No codes at all. I have a trinity and tried several different tunes, and the only noticiable difference was at wot and high rpm. Also it started to ping even though I have been running premium for 3 tanks now..
I dont want t give up on this truck since I just decided that 60,000 was just crazy for a new diesel ! I felt great about saving 50,000 and driving a really decent truck but I am at a loss as to why it is so sluggish?
Any thoughts or experience with symptoms like this?
Thanks,
Rob
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:184
ORT has a spectacular aura aboutORT has a spectacular aura about

If I was you I would pull off the tb and give it a good cleaning, then run a can of seafoam through the truck to help clean out any deposits.

Also, that tps reading is I believe in degrees and not %. So when you see 84 it means it is 84 degrees to parallel. That is the way the reading are on my sc when I data log.
Sidewinder Cam/Edge Converter/Pacesetter LT's/SCT&SC Stack/Hemifever Tune/BFI #32/20% UD Pulley/Fastman TB/Triple Pillar/1 TonCooler/Sonnax/E-Cutout/Venom Hood/SRT Bumper/Roll Pan/HID's/Aeroforce Wideband/E-Fan/Hellwig/2" Drop/170 Stat/D&S Rotors/Remote Start/Hella 500's/5% Tint/Black Everything
Old 09-18-2011, 06:44 PM
erm

I agree on cleaning the TB and I would also suggest you replace your EGR valve.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the info. That makes perfect sense about the TB opening being in degrees rather then percent! I did clean my TB when I got the truck but it actually wasnt too bad. I have not checked my egr but will asap and hope that solves it.
Thanks very much
Old 10-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 0994,2001.2009 dogge rams
Trim Level: top of the line all
Color: blue .ski blue. white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
cfarley is on a distinguished road
Default throttle response

my 2009 ram 1500 has a real dead space when you step on the gas,the truck is new to me and hard to adjust to. Cfarley
Old 10-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Graphite
Rep:16
FrostKing is on a distinguished road

It is common for the '03 throttle bodies to start dying and cause the symptoms you described. I would replace it.

Sold: 2003 RCSB 2WD
6.4L Hemi - Turbocharged, Alcohol, Nitrous
Old 08-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Sorry to reactivate my old thread but I have started driving this truck almost every day now as oppossed to once a week. The good news is that my fuel mileage problem is solved. It was a bad fuel pump or regulator that I bought online. I recently replaced it with an OEM Dodge pump assembly and am now getting 16mpg @ 65 mph and 18mpg @ 50 mph (2 lane country roads).
So to review, my whole fuel system is comprised of new OEM parts with less than 5000 miles on these parts. Fuel pump assembly, fuel rail, balanced premium fuel injectors. Also the Dealer installed 16 new plugs, OEM plug wires in the tray and the cop wires. New air filter, 2 new coils that were slightly out of spec. All other coils test perfect. Compression and leak down tests results were actually within spec for a new longblock. The TB is clean and the engine does not use any oil via leak or burning. No smoke even at full throttle. The EGR seems to be functioning normally and does not throw codes. The engine runs very smoothly at idle and all other rpms and has great power at WOT.
My complaint is still the poor throttle response and lack of torque at low throttle openings (after 2 years and 7000 miles of owning this truck) The transmission is also somewhat mushy shifting until wot and then it shifts quick and firm. I have done the TMR mod and this significantly improved wot 2-3 shifts. The trans has fresh oil and filter and had no signs of wear in the oil analysis, drive test, scan, and old filter was free of debris.
I also have a Diablosport Trinity that helps a little at WOT over about 4000rpm when set on the 93 octane position. I now run it stock since I don't need more power at full throttle and have switched back to 89 octane gas. I am looking for better low end response and more towing torque. I only tried the Trinity for a couple of tanks after I solved my fuel mileage problem.
Now, the engine is not the engine this truck came with. I am not even sure if the ecm is the original or is the one that came with this engine. The previous owner bought it from his brother in law and told me it was a low mileage take out and also mentioned he had to replace the ECM at some point.
I am sure this truck has more low rpm performance to offer and would like to determine what ecm I have, what tcm I have, and what year engine I have. It does indeed seem like a low mileage engine due to the results of the compression and leak down tests.
Can anyone help me with what to look for to positively identify the Engine (longblock) the ECM, and the TCM if it is seperate. I like this truck and am happy with everything except the lack of low rpm power and response. I drove another 03 like mine completely stock and it had way better response and part throttle torque.
The only other thing I can think to mention is my truck only has 1 pre and one post cat o2 sensor. My truck also seems to have better response /torque before closed loop operation kicks in. Also, on the rare occasion that I hit full throttle from a stop it sometimes sets a low cat efficiency code. It's P0420 It has a Magnaflow muffler in place of the stock one. Not sure if these items would effect low rpm performance though.
So, how do I positively identify my 1. ecm
2. Engine longblock

Also can I swap out my ECM and/ or TCM for a year that is more tunable?

Do I have an oddball ECM because my truck only has 1 pre and 1 post cat o2 sensor? ( or do the 2 sensor and 4 sensor trucks use the same ecm?)

Sorry about the long post, just trying to solve my long standing poor torque problem.
Many thanks,
Rob

Last edited by Ramdad; 08-18-2012 at 02:57 AM. Reason: corrected fault code number
Old 08-18-2012, 05:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Color: Black
Rep:10
Black 03 is on a distinguished road
Default 03 Hemi Ram poor throttle response?

It may be a good idea to do a vacuum test. If you can get ahold of a vacuum gauge, this may lead you to your problem. I used the small vacuum port at the brake booster hose fitting. This test lead me to my problem on my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi engine which was weak valve springs. Check out the link below for the various vacuum readings. Good luck, Tommy.
http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/en...m-test-a8.html
Old 08-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks Tommy,
Thats a good idea regardless since it is so easy to do. I have never checked the vacuum readings at all and have done almost everything else. I did do a compression and leakdown test but if the valves are bouncing it wouldnt show up ... I will check them out and post the results.

Anybody have a link to a thread regarding swapping the PCM out of my 03 and installing an 05 ? I have a diablosport trinity that only tunes 2005 and up.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Still searching for the solution to giving this hemi better throttle response. Since I last posted I checked the vacuum readings, changed upstream o2 sensor and tested my TPS response at all temps and operating conditions.
The engine runs great and has lots of power at full throttle down to about half throttle. The problem is I rarely use more than half throttle and it just feels really sluggish for a 340 hp engine. Could it be the programing for the 3/4 ton is purposely sluggish to avoid problems when towing? Has anyone sucessfully improved the part throttle power and response on these trucks? I have a DSP Trinity that does basically nothing that I can feel SOP. I really like this truck and have spent alot in parts to make it last for many years to come. The only thing I cant figure out is how to make it respond like any other gas truck I have owned.