DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram Special Edition Models > Dodge Ram R/T

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

Yeah i remember seeing a pic of a R/T with the hood open. Man must be 26+ rows on the cooler.

Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2011, 02:38 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:539
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

LOL, at least 3 of the toasted transmissions posted on DT were R/T's, and one that wasn't was a 4x4 running an R/T torque converter and 4.10 gears
So although cooler is better, its not going to save you from breaking.

I have the HD cooling on my 4G 4x4 with Tow package, pretty sure all 4x4's get it on 4G Hemi Rams.
My Trans temps are around130º city commuting, peak at around 150º driving it hard, flat out racing at the track in back to back runs might reach 170º
...and that's with an Edge 3000 stall torque converter.

only trans mod so far is the Sonnax line pressure booster while I search for a used 545RFE to rebuild.

The weak overdrive frictions from 3rd gear (and beyond) and the lack of enough pressure to hold the clutch packs without slipping is burning them up.
If you dont want to baby it, you need better frictions with larger surface on clutches/steels and a line pressure booster to hold them tightly together to avoid burning the friction material off.
Higher HP/TQ needs more pressure on the clutches, its just that simple, and the better your clutch pack the longer your trans will stand up to abuse.

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-20-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:42 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

So the suggestions would be to
make sure the level is correct. over filling can damage your tranny in minutes. Had a shop put in twice the quarts for a tranny flush and i was hitting 260+ within a hour of driving. Check gauges popped up and fluid was sprayed all over the undercarriage. Not a pleasant experience but the tranny survived after siphoning the excess out.
Increase LP as mentioned by BRH
Be more aware of your driving techniques.

Then you got the aftermarket tranny options out there.

Sounds like your cooler is sufficient enough.

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 09-20-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
lukejohnrogers is on a distinguished road

Hey guys thanks a lot for the reponses. Sounds like the thing that kills trannys three fastest is the down shifting when you floor it. So I'm thinking I should be good if I don't drive crazy and just take out to the strip here and there?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:53 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^that's correct. Your stock transmission should be able to handle the torque of your stock motor and some bolt ons. Accelerating in a straight line isn't that bad, it's when you start getting rough with the transmission that it takes a pounding. You ought to be fine at the drag strip. Once you substantially increase the output of the engine (turbo, supercharger, or nitrous) is when the transmission will begin to slip under normal driving and you'll need to build it up.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:20 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

it all depends bud and its hard to say if you will have a tranny problem or not cuz iv talked to people before that had no mods done and they blew their tranny
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 09-26-2011, 01:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
Real Estate Man is on a distinguished road

Very disappointing. I was about sold on the new Ram until reading this. The Tundra, which is my other candidate, has a S/C kit from TRD, and even gives a warranty. Yea, the 'Yota is ugly, and long in tooth on the inside, but between the real 6 speed tranny and the blower kit, I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on the Ram.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:14 AM

Vehicle: 2011 RAM R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:60
stangallmotor will become famous soon enough

I had a 2008 tundra. You wont be dissappointed. If I could do it again I would have bought a rcsb sport tundra and supercharge it. My last one was a lifted ext cab but I alwayswanted a sport truck so I ended up with a RT
Old 09-26-2011, 09:14 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^I've heard of a lot of reliability issues with the tundra engine, not sure but I'd bet they resolved them by now. In my opinion any manufacturer that makes an engine where the camshaft fails doesn't have a chance. How hard is it to design a metal shaft that won't collapse? But I don't like toyota in general so of course my opinion is biased...my aunt has had nothing but problems with her last three or four camry's(why she keeps buying them we don't know....she even says they suck...)

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.