DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
ejk78 is on a distinguished road
Question Programer, tuner, and chip....help???

Hey guys, i was wondering if there was anybody that could break down the differance between programers, tuner and chips(or are they basiclly the same thing)? Ive seen Superchip, Cortex and Bully Dog and havent been able to find what they do differant vs each other

I have an '04 quad cab 5.7 hemi with daul exhaust, thorley long headers, and a K&N cai intake, so just lookin for somethin to compliment everything without much of a headache(have seen some horror stories on here)
Thanks
Old 09-20-2011, 11:40 PM
erm

A chip is an item (basically a circuit board) that is plugged into the wiring harness between the PCM and the rest of the engine. It's functions are very limited and basically, they tell the PCM that the engine is running lean and the PCM adds fuel to compensate. It's a very poor way to make a little bit more power.

To make a distinction today between a tuner and a programmer is almost impossible. However, previous generations of tuners had canned programs and that was it. You couldn't update them and your selection options were very limited, including tire size, shift firmness, speed limiter removal and, in some cases, raising the rev limiter.

Today's tuner aka programmer, have canned tunes + the ability to hold multiple tunes and you have a lot more program options available to you now. Some of those options are adding or reducing fuel, shift firmness in stages, adjusting knock retard, timing, different gear sets, yadda yadda yadda.

So for your truck, in my view, you will get a programmer.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:16 AM

wow thanks for the break down, the programer sounds like the way to go.....Any thoughts on what type has worked best for the hemi? Not really worried about cost unless its 200 vs 450....just looking for something that is reliable and not to hard to install....the top 2 that ive heard of are the Diablo Predator and the Bully Dog GT3 (i think)....Anything else I should check out???
Old 09-21-2011, 01:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Do you research on the tuners and figure out which one fits in your budget and has option you would actually use and go for that one. They are all the same at the end of the day.

A lot of people like the diablosport trinity because of its display and features in it (read codes, record performance, extra gauges) and because DS is known for their amazing support/customer service.

If you dont need all teh extra stuff a hand helf flash tuner is cheaper and would be more what you are looking for if you want to just "tune it and forget about it". If you do get a handheld tuner as they are commonly referred to, make sure it is in your truck 100% of the time. You never know when something may start acting funny and rather than be stuck away from home with a retarded truck, flash it back to stock and troubleshoot tomorrow

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 09-21-2011, 09:55 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^they gave good advice.

Superchips makes the following: flashpaq, cortex, and vivid. flashpaq and cortex are basically the same, but cortex gives a 2 yr powertrain warranty. Vivid has the same programing for the truck, but also has more options like I believe touch screen, it can run android, etc.... flashpaq and cortex are more for tuning it at the moment, then throwing it under the seat and forgetting about it, although you can data log and read trouble codes, etc.... with them, it's just not as user/viewer friendly of a screen.

Diablo sport makes (from what I know): predator (similar to the flashpaq) and the trinity (similar to the vivid). There are some differences between the superchips products and the diablo products, but they are basically the same. The main differences are that with diablo you can do some custom tuning (if you were to swap cams, longtube headers, etc...) and with superchips you can't do custom tuning. Also, superchips offers a lot more transmission tuning options that diablo does not offer (such as torque management adjustment). The trinity came before the vivid and as far as I know the only difference is that the vivid offers android support. Also, with diablo products I believe you can completely disable the esp(traction control).

I personally use the superchips as I am going to stick mainly to bolt ons and won't need custom tuning, and I like the transmission tuning options. I also feel that superchips squeezes a little more power out than diablo with their canned tunes. Either tuner would be great, like I said they are very similar.

Any other tuner I have no experience with and I personally think they don't offer what superchips and diablo offer...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:37 AM

so i looked up both systems and it looks like the best choice right now is the Cortex....I saw the Bully Dog GT system also, is that in the same category as the Diablo and Superchip? It doesnt seem to be much more of a benefit for the extra $100....
Old 09-21-2011, 11:49 AM

Vehicle: 2006 QCSB, 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red
BadHazard is on a distinguished road

hardly anyone is running the bullydog
Old 09-21-2011, 12:10 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

bullydog is similar I believe but I have no experience with it. I think it has fewer options than the superchips and diablo.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:32 PM

Awesome thanks guyz......might end up trying the Cortex
Old 09-21-2011, 05:33 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejk78 View Post
so i looked up both systems and it looks like the best choice right now is the Cortex....I saw the Bully Dog GT system also, is that in the same category as the Diablo and Superchip? It doesnt seem to be much more of a benefit for the extra $100....
I wouldnt run bulldog on a gas engine. Their speciality is diesel and while they make great diesel stuff, I havent seen much thats stellar about their gas stuff

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING