DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500 SPORT
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry Red Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:64
tat2dwiseguy will become famous soon enough
Default What is it and why is it there?

There is one of these installed on each frame rail of my 09 crew cab. They look like counter weights or harmonic balancers. What are they reqally and why are they there?

Last edited by tat2dwiseguy; 09-22-2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: add pic
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2011, 08:52 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:140
DOZER will become famous soon enoughDOZER will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to DOZER Send a message via Skype™ to DOZER

Can you post a pic?
'06 2500 ST 4x4 Quad cab, Vararam CAI, Bed/Hood stripes, Vent visors, Bully tailgate lock, Moto Metal 909 18x9, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 HBS 2" level, Bilstein 5100's, Bushwhacker flares, 5000K HID's, Diablo Trinity 87 tune, LineX, Bakflip F1.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:19 PM

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brillant Black
Rep:168
scmedic09 has a spectacular aura aboutscmedic09 has a spectacular aura about

man i got these on mine, no idea what the heck they are used for
Old 09-22-2011, 09:58 PM

I know I had a lot of underbody turbulence / vibration on my 2003 Ram. I wonder if these were some attempt at controlling that? But their design, with the rubber sleeve inside, seems to be more of a harmonic control. Quite confusing.
I pulled this one off because I am chasing an annoying clunk on the passenger underside and cannot for the life of me locate it. I am pulling off everything non-essential.

So far I have tightened the exhaust clamps (mutiple times, even added extra clamps at the front mufler joint), tightened the rubber exhause hangers, found a broken exhaust clamp (just below the passenger manifold), found a nearly dislodged heat shield (same side), tried running without the spare in place, without the tailgate, without the tonneau cover, took the bedliner out, emptied every single item out of my truck, to include the in floor storage liners, tried the passenger seat reclined trick, ran with the rear seats and under seat storage trays in the up/open position....NADA... still clunkin'!

Anyone else have a clunk? I had my tie rods replaced and that resolved a small clunk I could feel in my brake/gas pedals (along with the terrible steering/shake), and they replaced my driveshaft due to a leak at the yoke, which I thought might have had some lash contributing to the clunk, but no such luck.

It's driving me nucking futs... it's the only aspect of the truck I don't enjoy, and since it's pretty much constant while I'm driving it (the slightest bump causes it), it's hard to ignore. Dealer and a friends shop have had it in the air a few times and nobody has had any success locating an issue. Next step is dropping the entire exhaust, cat back. Only problem is I think it will be too loud to hear the clunk if it still exists.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by tat2dwiseguy; 09-22-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:11 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Rep:34
hack99 is on a distinguished road

You'll have to strap yourself under the truck and have a buddy drive it. Should be able to pin-point it that way. (I jest, please don't)

A noise like that could be a bushing; sway bar front/rear, upper/lower shocks etc. Enough to drive ya nuts.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:13 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tat2dwiseguy View Post
There is one of these installed on each frame rail of my 09 crew cab. They look like counter weights or harmonic balancers. What are they reqally and why are they there?
they tone down the NVH (noise, vibration, harshness). I took them off my car and didn't even notice a difference. They are still on my truck but then again I'm not worried about removing every extra pound possible on the truck.

do a google search for something along the line of "NVH reduction" or "NVH weights" and you find it other forums....mostly muscle car ones because it's fairly common to remove them from the frame, axle or where ever to loose a couple pounds.

Last edited by CHVYKLR; 09-22-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: slt
Color: Hunter Green
Rep:11
DenDen is on a distinguished road

They are vibration dampeners.We use something similar to this on the power lines to stop the wires from galloping in the wind.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:55 PM

We've had a wrench or prybar on every suspension part, I even replaced the shocks with Bilsteins. I had a mechanical "ear" that you can clamp to certain chassis parts and listen via remote. I tried that on about 16 locations and nothing. I'm starting to think it's a broken body brace or something in the bed or passenger door, since I can't locate it under the truck. What pisses me off is that the service writer will always delete the "customer complains of clunk" from the service report since they can't locate it. I think they're trying to cover their ass or avoid a lemon law case.... not that I would give back my truck, but for crissakes, they missed the broken clamp and heat shield.... are they even looking????!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack99 View Post
You'll have to strap yourself under the truck and have a buddy drive it. Should be able to pin-point it that way. (I jest, please don't)

A noise like that could be a bushing; sway bar front/rear, upper/lower shocks etc. Enough to drive ya nuts.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:29 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tat2dwiseguy View Post
I know I had a lot of underbody turbulence / vibration on my 2003 Ram. I wonder if these were some attempt at controlling that? But their design, with the rubber sleeve inside, seems to be more of a harmonic control. Quite confusing.
I pulled this one off because I am chasing an annoying clunk on the passenger underside and cannot for the life of me locate it. I am pulling off everything non-essential.

So far I have tightened the exhaust clamps (mutiple times, even added extra clamps at the front mufler joint), tightened the rubber exhause hangers, found a broken exhaust clamp (just below the passenger manifold), found a nearly dislodged heat shield (same side), tried running without the spare in place, without the tailgate, without the tonneau cover, took the bedliner out, emptied every single item out of my truck, to include the in floor storage liners, tried the passenger seat reclined trick, ran with the rear seats and under seat storage trays in the up/open position....NADA... still clunkin'!

Anyone else have a clunk? I had my tie rods replaced and that resolved a small clunk I could feel in my brake/gas pedals (along with the terrible steering/shake), and they replaced my driveshaft due to a leak at the yoke, which I thought might have had some lash contributing to the clunk, but no such luck.

It's driving me nucking futs... it's the only aspect of the truck I don't enjoy, and since it's pretty much constant while I'm driving it (the slightest bump causes it), it's hard to ignore. Dealer and a friends shop have had it in the air a few times and nobody has had any success locating an issue. Next step is dropping the entire exhaust, cat back. Only problem is I think it will be too loud to hear the clunk if it still exists.

Any suggestions are welcome!
Mine did it too, its your cab mount bushings, they need replacing. that clunk you hear, is your cab shifting on the bushings/frame when you turn or hit a bump. Look at them from under the truck and if they are dryrotted then they need replaced. Its relatively easy, provided you dont live in salt country. Take a floor jack, and position it on the side of the cab between the rocker panel and the frame rail. place a 2x4 or 2x6 (preferably the latter) in between the jack head and the cab floor. Jack until snug. Remove bolt#1, jack cab up SLIGHTLY, remove and replace bushings. Repeat 3x on all corners. The fronts are a little trickier with the pack positioning but it can be done. Be careful not to damage any fuel lines or trans cooler lines which may run along the floor.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 09-23-2011 at 11:03 AM.