DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Rep:10
RTBenny is on a distinguished road
Default Sooo, back from the dyno...

Yep. And I'm feeling a little down. Oh well, it's just a number. I don't have the actual dynograph yet but I can tell peak numbers of my truck and my buddies Titan...

Ram R/T- 296.0whp, 311.8 wtq. Seems a little low compared to what I have seen but I will say this was a third gear pull (1.5:1) and it was about 88 degrees and super humid in the dyno cell (raining outside). So I can see why my truck layed a little low compared to most R/Ts I've seen. But the Titan...

2007 Titan- 306.5whp, 354.4wtq. WTF! Seriously, this was the dyno operator's strongest Titan pull ever by at least 10whp. This was out of about 5 or 6 other trucks, some of which had more mods. I think he just got a factory freak. I can say he ran in third also (1.52:1) and has 3.37 rear gears. These things make serious power any way you look at it. Like I said in another post, this tranlates into a 14.9@91mph.

On a side note, some might find it interesting that I tried my truck with and without the stock air filter in place. It was a consistent 3hp and 2 ftlb stronger without the filter in place. It made 293/309 with it in. So that's some easy, free power at the track. Also, even though the Titan outpowers the R/T as it is now, it couldn't keep it from pulling past it on the way home!

P.S. Another fun little thing was that we got to see a guy grenade his SRT4 on the dyno after I ran. It made 390whp right before but then BOOM! The clutch fell completely out of the bottom of the car and there was oil on the roof. Probably the most vicious engine failure I've seen and I've seen some decent ones.

Last edited by RTBenny; 09-22-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 09-22-2011, 10:41 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Yep. And I'm feeling a little down. Oh well, it just a number. I don't have the actual dynograph yet but I can tell peak numbers of my truck and my buddies Titan...

Ram R/T- 296.0whp, 311.8 wtq. Seems a little low compared to what I have seen but I will say this was a third gear pull (1.5:1) and it was about 88 degrees and super humid in the dyno cell (raining outside). So I can see why my truck layed a little low compared to most R/Ts I've seen. But the Titan...

2007 Titan- 306.5whp, 354.4wtq. WTF! Seriously, this was the dyno operator's strongest Titan pull ever by at least 10whp. This was out of about 5 or 6 other trucks, some of which had more mods. I think he just got a factory freak. I can say he ran in third also (1.52:1) and has 3.37 rear gears. These things make serious power any way you look at it.

On a side note, some might find it interesting that I tried my truck with and without the stock air filter in place. It was a consistent 3hp and 2 ftlb stronger without the filter in place. It made 293/309 with it in. So that's some easy, free power at the track. Also, even though the Titan outpowers the R/T as it is now, it couldn't keep it from pulling past it on the way home!
Cool! First of all I STRONGLY recommend you do not run without an air filter. A damaged engine is not worth 2 or 3 hp!!! You may get away with it for awhile but in time it will do damage.

Don't be disappointed by your numbers, it's not all about the numbers, it's all about what times it puts down at the track. My 4.7L has (relatively) pathetic numbers, but will still run with a stock hemi in the same truck... I had a good feeling the "loose" converter would be less efficient, but being a higher stall it lets you run a quicker 1/4 miles. If you put in an aftermarket good converter your truck would gain some stall AND gain torque to the wheels!

I am quite surprised/impressed with the titan!

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:43 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

funny....my guesses for your hp numbers were about reversed lol!

Old 09-22-2011, 10:45 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
Stainless is on a distinguished road

Thats weird, I have raced several titans and they couldn't keep up, even to my old truck
Old 09-22-2011, 10:48 PM

^ like I said numbers don't necessarily decide whose vehicle is faster. Besides, comparing peak numbers is only good for bragging... The RT would be faster in a race, and he also confirmed this in his post above...

Old 09-22-2011, 10:48 PM

I got you on the filter, if I ever ran without it, it would be down the quarter not on the street. And my truck is obviously faster than the Titan just cause of the weight difference.

And to SNRUSNAK, I noticed that too. I thought I'd have him on horses and knew he'd beat me in torque. And I agree that peak numbers don't tell the whole story. My curve is smooth and keeps making power all the way up to the 5800 rpm limiter. His Titan makes big torque which translates into good horsepower. His peaks about 5200 and then trails off quickly on the way to the 6300 rpm shutoff. In a race (we've only done rolling races) he usually jumps me a little (mainly due to the spongey, laggy throttle of my truck) and I reel him back in.

Last edited by RTBenny; 09-22-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
And to SNRUSNAK, I noticed that too. I thought I'd have him on horses and knew he'd beat me in torque.
Yeah I think it's all due to the converter. A factory modified "loose" converter is not a very good one (sorry for the RT owners lol). It just isn't nearly as good as an aftermarket one. I bet a stock regular hemi would dyno higher than the RT as it has the regular converter, but it wouldn't run a quicker 1/4 obviously. An aftermarket converter gives you the stall and efficiency.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 PM

That could be true but I've heard the higher the stall, the lower the efficiency. Another one of those "I heard" deals. Who knows? I just want some tuning for this thing.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
That could be true but I've heard the higher the stall, the lower the efficiency.
That is what I was saying, or trying to say anyway lol. It is especially true on a stock modified converter as opposed to a good aftermarket one.

Anyway, not bad numbers man....It'd practically be a miracle for my 4.7L to put down 270hp to the wheels...lol I'm probably between 250-270hp but who knows, the dynos I've seen are all over the map, some as low as 220hp, some as high as 270hp....another little proof that comparing vehicles by dyno is relatively useles.... 300hp is a lot of power, especially when you can launch it! Tuning would be great hope it comes out soon for you guys.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:243
CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

dude, it's only a number and there are a lot of variables that affect it. The dyno is good for bragging and most importantly tuning your a/f after installing some mods. hell, mine only dyno'd 338rwhp with all my mods but she runs pretty good.