DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

biggest variable is the driver of the vehicle!!!!!!!! operator error!!!!!!!!!!! w/e u want to call it!

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2011, 06:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Rep:10
RTBenny is on a distinguished road

I'm not really upset about what mine made compared to other R/Ts, I know dyno to dyno, day to day can vary too much to compare there. But that Titan was on the same dyno, same day only a few minutes apart. 317hp, ha. Japanese horses must be F-ing huge!

Anyway, I'll hopefully have another thread with some track times tonight, that is if it doesn't get rained out.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:53 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:184
ORT has a spectacular aura aboutORT has a spectacular aura about

I am shocked by the titan's numbers. I know that dyno numbers don't always equal street performance but every Titan I have come across has been a dog. What mods does he have on that truck?
Sidewinder Cam/Edge Converter/Pacesetter LT's/SCT&SC Stack/Hemifever Tune/BFI #32/20% UD Pulley/Fastman TB/Triple Pillar/1 TonCooler/Sonnax/E-Cutout/Venom Hood/SRT Bumper/Roll Pan/HID's/Aeroforce Wideband/E-Fan/Hellwig/2" Drop/170 Stat/D&S Rotors/Remote Start/Hella 500's/5% Tint/Black Everything
Old 09-23-2011, 08:03 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
The dyno is good for bragging
I agree this is true about 99% of the time.

Quote:
I'm not really upset about what mine made compared to other R/Ts, I know dyno to dyno, day to day can vary too much to compare there. But that Titan was on the same dyno, same day only a few minutes apart. 317hp, ha. Japanese horses must be F-ing huge!
Keep in mind you're just reporting peak numbers. The vehicle with the most peak power and torque isn't always the fastest. What really matters is who has the higher, flatter torque curver at the highest rpm.

I always find it funny when people buy an expensive car like a 427hp mustang, and race it against something like an older LS1 camaro that has 360hp, and the camaro runs a faster 1/4 mile....and they can't figure out why. Peak numbers are only good for bragging. The vehicle with the most area under the torque curve, at the highest rpm, will be faster (all else equal).

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:39 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Color: white
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

you can tell there is restriction with an air filter.. at the track we've been running without filters since 06...although I don't drive on the street without one..

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH
Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:184
ORT has a spectacular aura aboutORT has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefred112 View Post
you can tell there is restriction with an air filter.. at the track we've been running without filters since 06...although I don't drive on the street without one..

How much do you gain at the track when you pull the filter?
Sidewinder Cam/Edge Converter/Pacesetter LT's/SCT&SC Stack/Hemifever Tune/BFI #32/20% UD Pulley/Fastman TB/Triple Pillar/1 TonCooler/Sonnax/E-Cutout/Venom Hood/SRT Bumper/Roll Pan/HID's/Aeroforce Wideband/E-Fan/Hellwig/2" Drop/170 Stat/D&S Rotors/Remote Start/Hella 500's/5% Tint/Black Everything
Old 09-23-2011, 08:56 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
yeah well it's up to you guys but IMO it's not worth the risk of damaging the engine for a couple hp. I've seen guys at the track run without them for a while and then one day they suck in a dragonfly or something...I'd at least put some sort of screen in place of a filter.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:25 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
yeah well it's up to you guys but IMO it's not worth the risk of damaging the engine for a couple hp. I've seen guys at the track run without them for a while and then one day they suck in a dragonfly or something...I'd at least put some sort of screen in place of a filter.
A dragon fly...ILMAO! I'll feed mine dragon flys all day long, it might even help it, lol! Sand and dust is your number one enemy. Just about every smart racer on the planet runs without an air filter (maybe with a wire mesh). And if it's under your hood, the only thing you're going to pick up at a drag strip is something coming off of your own vehicle. You're right about one thing though, you should never drive on the street without a filter.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:35 AM

I have bugs is my airbox every time I clean it....just saying....I'm sure it will be much worse after I add ram air here soon...and bugs will score cylinder walls just like dirt/dust will. And if they don't get jammed up in the valve they will basically disintegrate after combustion, and then they are basically just dirt/dust....so just as bad on the exhaust valve stem seals as well.

I think you were kidding about it not being bad to suck in bugs lol, but if you weren't then go ahead and start your engine then drop one in the TB if you think it will help lol

I know most run without them on the track, but it's just not worth a few hp to me. 3 hp on the track is no change. Besides, it's not 3 hp across the whole rpm range, it's only at high rpm's, so you may gain 3hp for 2,000 rpm or so, making it even less of a difference...

Old 09-23-2011, 10:10 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I have bugs is my airbox every time I clean it....just saying....I'm sure it will be much worse after I add ram air here soon...and bugs will score cylinder walls just like dirt/dust will. And if they don't get jammed up in the valve they will basically disintegrate after combustion, and then they are basically just dirt/dust....so just as bad on the exhaust valve stem seals as well.

I think you were kidding about it not being bad to suck in bugs lol, but if you weren't then go ahead and start your engine then drop one in the TB if you think it will help lol

I know most run without them on the track, but it's just not worth a few hp to me. 3 hp on the track is no change. Besides, it's not 3 hp across the whole rpm range, it's only at high rpm's, so you may gain 3hp for 2,000 rpm or so, making it even less of a difference...
Lol, of course I was kidding, lol! And you're right, if it's swarming with dragon flys or even worse love bugs, you better keep your filter on. The front of my truck is covered with them right now...I hate those things! But it is the sand most of all that's kills your internals, once it gets through your rings it's in your oil. When ever you drive down a dusty road you're sucking the dust and sand straight into the intake so yes, protect your engine at all times. Anyway, about these dyno numbers, 300whp is about average for stock. SC tuned dynos were only coming back with 330whp average. Anther thing that hasn't been mentioned here, is getting your hp to the rear wheels. It's not just your converter, weight transfer has a lot to do with it as well. I'm not sure, but I think this coil spring suspension may have something to do with it. Whether good or bad, I'd be willing to bet that leaf and coils would produce different numbers.