DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Lol, of course I was kidding, lol! And you're right, if it's swarming with dragon flys or even worse love bugs, you better keep your filter on. The front of my truck is covered with them right now...I hate those things! But it is the sand most of all that's kills your internals, once it gets through your rings it's in your oil. When ever you drive down a dusty road you're sucking the dust and sand straight into the intake so yes, protect your engine at all times. Anyway, about these dyno numbers, 300whp is about average for stock. SC tuned dynos were only coming back with 330whp average. Anther thing that hasn't been mentioned here, is getting your hp to the rear wheels. It's not just your converter, weight transfer has a lot to do with it as well. I'm not sure, but I think this coil spring suspension may have something to do with it. Whether good or bad, I'd be willing to bet that leaf and coils would produce different numbers.
I don't think there's enough volume in all 8 cylinders to fit all the love bugs that hit the front of my truck haha

The 4 link with panhard bar rear coil setup is much better than a leaf setup for weight transfer and launching(and better in every other way I can think of except maybe simplicity/cost...).

I didn't know the SC for the new hemi added 30 hp, that's a really big gain, I thought it was more like 15hp...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2011, 11:05 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

As far as the SC I could be wrong but maybe it's 15hp for yours, I'll have to check on that. But I can tell you this, I wouldn't have got one if it was avertised at only 15 added hp. On the coil/leafs, I think the truck throws more weight to the rear with the coils because the braces act like ladder bars keeping the rear from twisting. Plus not having to worry about leaf springs flexing compared to using coils. I'm not sure if it affects the dyno, but I'm sure it affects the weight transfer giving it better traction. My theory is if your have more weight on the rear than you have more strain on the motor. But like I said I'm not sure, I'm just guessing. That being said, how do these engines compare in engine dynos?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:07 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

How many miles are on your truck? It took quite a bit before the computer "opened up" with my R/T. Seemed reluctant for the first 5,000 miles, and then holy hell! It was like a completely different animal, and just gets better every day...
Old 09-23-2011, 11:12 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
Porter_ is on a distinguished road

when i was in high school a local dealer had a '72 chevelle on their lot, the car was damn near fully restored and looked gorgeous. i went to take a look at it, popped the hood and immediately saw a carburetor with no filter on top. the butterfly valves were covered with dirt and grime. i asked the salesman how long they'd been running it without a filter and he said "it doesn't need a filter, it's carbureted".
Old 09-23-2011, 12:14 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:514
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Torque Converter makes ZERO difference on a Dyno

The 60' time on your slip on the Track is the best measure of a TC upgrade.

My 10' Hemi only dyno's at 309HP / 347TQ (3000 Stall)
bud's 10' Hemi with stock converter was 303 / 348
(Both 4th gear pulls, both 3.55 geared 4x4's on heavy 20's and 33's, Diablo tuned)

Still my measly 309 HP still gets me a 13 second time slip
13.89/98.5 at 2536' (13.4/101 DA Corrected)

My bud's heavier QC is lucky to break into the high 14's

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-23-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:30 PM

RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

BRH...Realitive to the torque converter having zero affect on the dyno, what makes the difference between a standard trans and an auto trans on a dyno? Why does a standard trans produce more whp on the dyno...just curious?
Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 PM

BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
BRH...Realitive to the torque converter having zero affect on the dyno, what makes the difference between a standard trans and an auto trans on a dyno? Why does a standard trans produce more whp on the dyno...just curious?
Beats me?

This was my first run on a Dyno ...ever, I dont like them personally
I prefer the track and time slips for bragging rights.

My CMR even says it's just a measuring tool for before/after tune adjustments.
He said most stock 4G 5.7's he's done come in around 285-290 whp.

He said mine "Should be" about 10hp more once he fine tunes it.
I've got some peaks and valleys that need to be evened out.

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-23-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:17 PM

Lol, the reason why I'm asking is because I had always thought that slpippage in the converter had lot to do with rwhp, not to mention torque ratio. And in your case, it could be affecting your rwhp...I'm just guessing, I'm not sure. There are different torque ratios and the wrong application will affect your rwhp...so I have always thought though I could be wrong. The big thing between the autos and standards are the friction differences. That being said, there is more and less friction in different converters. But to tell you the turth, I'm not sure about any of this because of different professional oppinions form the converter manufacters claiming there's is better sort of speak. Do you know what torque ratio you have in your converter?
Old 09-23-2011, 01:23 PM

Its a 2.2 STR (Stall to Torque Ratio)

But I think the Diablo tune locks up the TC much earlier than stock programming and I'm likely at 1:1 lockup at peak HP with no slip.
another factor could also be the TCM had not fully adapted yet, TC install was a Wednesday afternoon, Dyno run was Friday morning the same week.

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-23-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:58 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
As far as the SC I could be wrong but maybe it's 15hp for yours, I'll have to check on that. But I can tell you this, I wouldn't have got one if it was avertised at only 15 added hp. On the coil/leafs, I think the truck throws more weight to the rear with the coils because the braces act like ladder bars keeping the rear from twisting. Plus not having to worry about leaf springs flexing compared to using coils. I'm not sure if it affects the dyno, but I'm sure it affects the weight transfer giving it better traction. My theory is if your have more weight on the rear than you have more strain on the motor. But like I said I'm not sure, I'm just guessing. That being said, how do these engines compare in engine dynos?
Good point about more weight on the drive wheels....definitely helps traction on launch. Most serious racers use a 4 link, because it is better than leafs...

Quote:
How many miles are on your truck? It took quite a bit before the computer "opened up" with my R/T. Seemed reluctant for the first 5,000 miles, and then holy hell! It was like a completely different animal, and just gets better every day...
I read a thread from a dodge tech that said the computers limit the power somehow to around 75% of max for the first 5000 miles to help prevent damage to the engine during break in period...so there may be truth to this...

Quote:
Torque Converter makes ZERO difference on a Dyno

The 60' time on your slip on the Track is the best measure of a TC upgrade.

My 10' Hemi only dyno's at 309HP / 347TQ (3000 Stall)
bud's 10' Hemi with stock converter was 303 / 348
(Both 4th gear pulls, both 3.55 geared 4x4's on heavy 20's and 33's, Diablo tuned)

Still my measly 309 HP still gets me a 13 second time slip
13.89/98.5 at 2536' (13.4/101 DA Corrected)

My bud's heavier QC is lucky to break into the high 14's
Torque converters do make a difference in how much torque is measured at the wheel. Say you lose 12% torque through the stock TC, and the after market TC only loses 9%, you will have gained 3%(as in your case BRH, you did pick up some torque through a more efficient converter, the stall rpm isn't the only benefit).

Quote:
Manual gearboxes deliver more power to the wheels mainly because there is no torque converter. Assuming the loss of torque through an auto transmission(not counting TC) and a manual gearbox is equal(which it's not, but let's say it is)....if the TC loses 12% torque when the clutch is not locked up(which is at any time except cruising) then the manual has more torque delivered to the wheels(roughly 12% in this example) as a manual clutch is(theoretically) 100% efficient.....If you have 100 ft lb at the flywheel, you have 100 ft lb at the input shaft of the manual gearbox(again...theoretically, there is some slightly loss due to heat/friction).

Quote:
Its a 2.2 STR (Stall to Torque Ratio)

But I think the Diablo tune locks up the TC much earlier than stock programming and I'm likely at 1:1 lockup at peak HP with no slip.
another factor could also be the TCM had not fully adapted yet, TC install was a Wednesday afternoon, Dyno run was Friday morning the same week.
The stock TC stator is I believe a 1.94 or so. This is another reason your new edge converter is more efficient BRH, or delivers more torque to the wheels. Same concept as rear axle gearing. Say you have 100ft lb at the engine flywheel, with the 1.94 stator you know have 194 ft lb after the TC. With the 2.2 stator you now have 220 ft lb after the TC with the same engine output....(there are many other variables and you wouldn't be able to measure that much more torque after the stator because keep in mind the TC is ALWAYS slipping when the clutch is not locked, so all that torque does not get transferred....obviously if you could put a 500,000 stator in and get like a million ft lb at the wheels everyone would do it lol....there are reasons/limits that you can't do this. I'm told 2.2 is about as high as you can go for this application....not sure why, this is over my head now lol...)

Also BRH, whether stock tune or aftermarket tune, the TC clutch will never lockup at any reasonable amount of acceleration. The only time it will lock and you'll be at 1:1 is at very light throttle/cruising. Torque converters actually become less efficient at transferring the torque from the engine to the wheels at higher rpms. Also, the higher the stall, usually means the less efficient the converter is at higher rpms.

Sorry for long post lol

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.