DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^I agree, you never really know everything lol! Even with TE who designs these things, there's never anything that's known 100% for sure. I would guess the reason your shifts felt mushy right after removing the sonnax is because the line pressure was adjusted low (due to previously having the booster installed) and it needed time (many shifts) to adapt back up. Who knows, this may be wrong, but it makes sense in my head.

I say if you bought it and like it and can tell a difference, then good for you. I've been debating on getting one and almost did about 2 or 3 times now, but think after much debate on whether it does anything or not I'm going to end up leaving this mod left alone...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
^I agree, you never really know everything lol! Even with TE who designs these things, there's never anything that's known 100% for sure. I would guess the reason your shifts felt mushy right after removing the sonnax is because the line pressure was adjusted low (due to previously having the booster installed) and it needed time (many shifts) to adapt back up. Who knows, this may be wrong, but it makes sense in my head.

I say if you bought it and like it and can tell a difference, then good for you. I've been debating on getting one and almost did about 2 or 3 times now, but think after much debate on whether it does anything or not I'm going to end up leaving this mod left alone...
There is No Doubt this thing does something....but I am wondering if the results attained by one set of conditions are completely different then the results of a different set of conditions. As the adaptation is handled by the PCM, does a tuner have an affect of this?

In the end, I am aware of only 2 ways to kill a trans.
1) Heat
2) apply enough HP to physically break parts.

The Hemi, although decent, doesn't have the HP to break the 545, so the only thing left that I am aware of is heat. When I use the Sonnax, the heat is reduced to normal and stays there, so out of sheer fear of burning it up under the normal 'heavy use' it receives, I am going to continue to use this cheap mod. The firm positive smile-on-the-face shifts, is nothing more than a side effect.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 01-06-2012, 12:59 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:364
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

TE--Do you have a better or different solution to the problem that we are trying to fix--slow and mushy shifts?
Jay
Old 01-06-2012, 01:16 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^ good question, can't believe I never thought to ask him this...

Can someone comment on if the diablo tuner does anything at all for transmission shifts? I know the superchips (even with torque management at stock) shortens the time for a shift to take place. I'm just wondering if the diablo does the same. I've heard members say the diablo changes TCC lockup schedules as well.

With my superchips the shifts are firmer than stock, pretty good IMO and with the TM reduced even firmer, especially under WOT. I've been running with TM at stock though recently after talking with TE about longevity of the trans without it and it is still much better than stock IMO. I plan on only reducing TM at the track (which I rarely run this vehicle...).

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:22 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Rep:19
storeboy is on a distinguished road

Would the Transgo HD2 shift kit offer any help (the springs and piston seals) or is the effects of this kit the same in the newer version of this transmission the same as the older version?

TE definately gave us some useful information, and I am by no means trying negate anything he said, but at the end of the day the stock transmission in these trucks just flat out shifts sloppy. Something has changed in the transmission to cause this as it didn't seem to use to be an issue. There seems to be an overwhelming majority of people here that can attest to their transmissions working better after installing the Sonnax. Whether it is as simple as raising the line pressure or something else that hasn't been taken into consideration, this plug (or resistor) does something to make them work better.

Again, I am not trying start a beef or negate anything said. I am just trying to figure out what is going to make this transmission work best.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Thunder Road Edition
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
johns67373 is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased the Sonnax "booster" and installed it this morning in my '05 Hemi Quad Cab. Installation was super easy. I followed the instructions and drove it "gingerly" for approximately 5 miles, cycling upshifts / downshifts. There is a noticeable difference in upshifts, especially from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th gears.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:27 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

I have no idea what all the different "tuners" do to your PCM (including trans controls), so I can't say whether they would be a "good" solution to firming up your shifts or not.

Unfortunately what one person calls a "firm" shift, someone else would call a "harsh" shift. Likewise, what one person calls a "sloppy" shift someone else might call a "smooth" shift. It is very difficult to please everyone at the same time. No matter HOW we tune the shift quality, someone will complain to their dealer that their truck shifts "too harsh" (or "too mushy").

I've often thought that offering customer-selectable shift quality (where the customer can adjust their shift firmness) would be a great idea, but apparently that would require us to run emissions certifications (etc) at all the various shift levels, which obviously multiplies the number of certification tests that must be run, and is therefore not very feasible for an OEM.

The LP "booster" is the simplest way (that I am aware of) to improve shift firmness, but as I've noted the effect may only be temporary.

As for the "cooling effect" that Brad noted... that is a very interesting point. My gut instinct tells me that higher LP may be giving you higher cooler flow (and hence, lower sump temps). I do NOT think you are getting internal slippage (without the booster) that is raising your temp. If you had clutch slippage, you would be setting gear ratio faults.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

With all due respect, if TE's theory were correct then Sc torque management would not perform as it does. And I'm speaking for SC's T/M in quick tunes as well as in the advance T/M tune that you can purchase. I may have to refresh my pcm/tcm every now and then because of fluent normal driving, but my shifts are always firm unlike the sloppy factory tune. I'm not flaming here, I'm just sharing my opinion.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:34 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
With all due respect, if TE's theory were correct then Sc torque management would not perform as it does. And I'm speaking for SC's T/M in quick tunes as well as in the advance T/M tune that you can purchase. I may have to refresh my pcm/tcm every now and then because of fluent normal driving, but my shifts are always firm unlike the sloppy factory tune. I'm not flaming here, I'm just sharing my opinion.
I'm not sure I understand....

What does SC stand for? SunCoast? How does their torque management strategy work? How do you "refresh" your PCM, and what exactly does that do?

Which of the points in my post are you questioning, and how does torque management relate to that? If you'll help me to better understand what you're saying, I'll try to elaborate a little further on my point(s), and hopefully enlighten us both.... Thanks!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:52 PM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

You are welcome TE and thank you for your tech input. SC is the Superchip programmer that has a torque management tune that reduces the factory 75% (?) T/M to as low as 6%..