DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-25-2011, 12:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:554
BlackRamHemi is a name known to allBlackRamHemi is a name known to allBlackRamHemi is a name known to allBlackRamHemi is a name known to allBlackRamHemi is a name known to allBlackRamHemi is a name known to all

Shifter was at Mopac, Love that place!
thats where I get a lot of my performance gear, Drag Radials etc
...I think their only other store is in Langley B.C. if you're looking.

Is yours a 4x4? I think they come with the HD cooling package from the factory already, specially if you have a tow package.

Not really needed unless you tow or use a higher stall torque converter.
another option is a deeper trans pan to increase your ATF volume, which needs an exhaust re-route at the crosspipe.
...good time to do a Y if you havent already.

...LOL the mod frenzy really starts to snowball huh?

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2011, 01:32 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I installed the Sonnax line pressure booster a few days ago, and really like the results. Under normal driving, I notice the TM more. The trans shifts faster, so now feel a slight deceleration during the shift. I will be trying the TM disable in the DSP to see how that feels.

The big difference is at WOT. I was a little concerned about the 3-4 (2P-direct) shift prior, as any shift that takes that long is building heat. With the Sonnax unit, the 3-4 shift is fast and firm.....and quite frankly, finally 'feels' right.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 09-25-2011, 09:49 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
I was a little concerned about the 3-4 (2P-direct) shift prior, as any shift that takes that long is building heat. With the Sonnax unit, the 3-4 shift is fast and firm.....and quite frankly, finally 'feels' right.
Brad: Did your 3-4 shift sort of feel like it was slipping before? Mine does this. I don't know if it's normal(don't think so) or if the PO did damage some how or something. Took it to dealer(under warranty) and they "couldn't replicate the problem". Gotta go back for a ride along. I just can't figure out how someone could burn up 3-4 and no damage to the lower gears....My truck doesn't even shift from 3-4 under hard acceleration until well over 100mph...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:16 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:554
BlackRamHemi is a name known to allBlackRamHemi is a name known to allBlackRamHemi is a name known to allBlackRamHemi is a name known to allBlackRamHemi is a name known to allBlackRamHemi is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
I installed the Sonnax line pressure booster a few days ago, and really like the results. Under normal driving, I notice the TM more. The trans shifts faster, so now feel a slight deceleration during the shift. I will be trying the TM disable in the DSP to see how that feels.

The big difference is at WOT. I was a little concerned about the 3-4 (2P-direct) shift prior, as any shift that takes that long is building heat. With the Sonnax unit, the 3-4 shift is fast and firm.....and quite frankly, finally 'feels' right.
TM? are you refering to Torque Management?
There is no TM disable on a Diablosport tuner, its pre programmed into the canned tunes already (to some extent)
and can only be adjusted by a CMR.

Superchips tuners are the ones that allow a different percentages of Torque Management adjustment at the user level.
...that "some" claim are causing a conflict with the Sonnax line pressure booster on the "other" forum (DT)

The only "Disable" you can control at the user level on a Diablo Predator/Trinity is Traction Control (ESP/ABS) and MDS (Multiple Dispacement System) neither would change your shifts (imho)

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-25-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:20 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Superchips tuners are the ones that allow a different percentages of Torque Management
...that "some" claim are causing a conflict with the Sonnax line pressure booster on the "other" forum (DT)
Hey just wanted to add to this that I can only select "stock" or "superchips" on my flashpaq for TM settings. I think they have less options for the 4.7L tuning than the 5.7L. I'm not sure if it's the same for the 5.7L or if you can actually choose the percentage, but I think you can choose the percentage. Doesn't really matter to me as I think they put it at the best setting (~6% or so).

Old 09-25-2011, 11:20 AM

^or maybe it's part of the advanced trans upgrade that I don't have, I'm not sure...

Old 09-25-2011, 11:22 PM

Vehicle: 2005 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn 3.92
Color: Flame Red CC
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:45
Timbo114 is on a distinguished road

So this booster will work in tandem with my DSP and TCM part throttle upshift mod settings, with no problems?
I've got 74k on the truck w/new trans F&F - I'd love to extend the life of this tranny.

Last edited by Timbo114; 09-25-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Brad: Did your 3-4 shift sort of feel like it was slipping before? Mine does this. I don't know if it's normal(don't think so) or if the PO did damage some how or something. Took it to dealer(under warranty) and they "couldn't replicate the problem". Gotta go back for a ride along. I just can't figure out how someone could burn up 3-4 and no damage to the lower gears....My truck doesn't even shift from 3-4 under hard acceleration until well over 100mph...
That sloooow 3-4 shift was the most worrisome to me. Mine has been like that since day one, but became more noticeable once I installed the big 3. The few extra HP really accented this lazy shift; enough so that I backed off the throttle at that point to save the trans. The Sonnax changed this to a proper firm shift. The other shifts have also improved; most noticeably under WOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
TM? are you refering to Torque Management?
There is no TM disable on a Diablosport tuner, its pre programmed into the canned tunes already (to some extent)
and can only be adjusted by a CMR.

Superchips tuners are the ones that allow a different percentages of Torque Management adjustment at the user level.

The only "Disable" you can control at the user level on a Diablo Predator/Trinity is Traction Control (ESP/ABS) and MDS (Multiple Dispacement System) neither would change your shifts (imho)
Thanks for the info. I'm very new to the DSP, and today when I went to 'Disable the TM', I discovered that what I thought was TM, was actually TC.

If there was any doubt that this DSP was in the hands of a DSP Newbie, that doubt has been removed.

Although TC is something I would also like to get rid of, there are too many side effects to removing it via the DSP. First off, I like ABS, and don't like the fact that I lose that and my instrument cluster will be lit up like a Christmas tree with the DSP disable.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 09-26-2011, 03:03 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black Gold Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:45
ram71351 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
Although TC is something I would also like to get rid of, there are too many side effects to removing it via the DSP. First off, I like ABS, and don't like the fact that I lose that and my instrument cluster will be lit up like a Christmas tree with the DSP disable.
Brad, to add to that problem, it resets back to normal every time you turn the truck off (or cycle the key). So really its useless and I found no difference. I dont even use it. Sorry to thread jack....

Last edited by ram71351; 09-26-2011 at 03:05 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
That sloooow 3-4 shift was the most worrisome to me. Mine has been like that since day one, but became more noticeable once I installed the big 3. The few extra HP really accented this lazy shift; enough so that I backed off the throttle at that point to save the trans. The Sonnax changed this to a proper firm shift. The other shifts have also improved; most noticeably under WOT.
Thanks Brad, glad to know I'm not the only one that has/had this issue. When my truck starts to shift from 3-4 if I give it a little more gas it won't even complete the shift, it will just slip(feels like it's slipping anyway). I have been letting off now when it shifts like you said you did. I only notice it when accelerating onto a freeway, never around town as the rpms are so low and I can't accelerate hard, or even moderately from 3-4 around town at lower speeds. Even at just about 1/4 pedal it slips when getting onto the freeway, all other shifts are firm.