DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > HI-TECH Discussion

Notices

HI-TECH Discussion Web, computers, software, GPS, satellite TV, home stereos and other non-vehicle hi tech electronics.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-25-2011, 05:12 PM
erm

Default HT Upgrade - A/V Receiver or A/V Processor?

Since purchasing my Denon AVR-2805 unit, I have upgraded just about every other component around it and they all have HDMI out.

My Denon has no HDMI capability. I just use it to switch from input to input to input....blah blah blah...

I have an external 5-CH amp (Rotel RMB-1075) so I don't need an amplifier section in my switcher. It took me a while to figure out why my Denon kept blowing it's DAC's and I realized I was trying to drive 8 ohm speakers with a 4 ohm rated AVR.

I just need good switching, HDMI in (4 minimum) HDMI out (1 minimum), good audio and video processing, and it would be nice to have a tuner, wireless networking capability and internet radio.

For those of you out there that enjoy music, videos, streaming, etc... and have what you consider is a good HT/Audio system, what is your input on the AVR vs. A/V processor question?

FYI, here is my equipment list:

Denon AVR-2805 (going away soon)
Pioneer BDP-51FD BluRay player
Panamax 5300 EX power center
Rotel RMB-1075 5-CH amplifier
Vienna Acoustics Bach Grand towers
Vienna Acoustics Maestro Grand center
Vienna Acoustics Waltz Grand rear surround
Elemental Designs A5-350 powered subwoofer
Sonus ZonePlayer 90 + ZoneBridge
Samsung HL61A750 1080i 61 monitor
Motorola QIP6200-2 HD/FIOS set top box
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

I better let someone else chime in on this one. I'm so out of the loop on new HT receivers... that I still rock my Denon AVR-3803!!!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:34 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:42
Deathrend is on a distinguished road

Am I assuming right, that you're getting audio from somewhere other than HDMI? If so, you would be better off looking into a higher end (Mid 2 series Denons even have most of what you're looking for) receiver with the ability to pull sound from HDMI. Amps are pretty antiquated this day in age.. As for audio, Optical/Coax is limited to 5 channels of normal Dolby. To access the HD audio (DTS-HD, so on) you have to have the audio processing coming off of the HDMI.

I have a 3308CI which I have powering speakers throughout the house, as well as my home theater.

My Steup:
Klipsch Refrence
RF-83's
RC-62
RS-62's
RB-61's
2x RW-12d's
Sony PS3 (Blu-ray)

If you're looking for movie performance, it's not so much the power behind the sound, it's the range of signal processing. I want to say my reciever puts out 120 RMS/channel.

Hopefully that helps part of what you're trying to figure out.. I've never heard your speakers before, so I can't really go by brand. Klipsch speakers tend to be a bit Bright, so I went with Denon (Which I love). Had my speaks been Polk, I would have gone with a bright receiver (Namely Yamaha).

It's all about the sound you want!
Soon to come, 3500
Old 10-07-2011, 05:35 PM
erm

OK...thanks for the input.

No AVR out there will power my speakers without burning up. That's why I have the Rotel amp to power the speakers. My older Denon has no HDMI and I use it as a pre-amp for the speakers and signal central for everything.

It's missing the current crop of signal processing, hence my question on AVR vs. a processor.

After spending a few more hours/days/lifetimes doing research and asking some HT experts online, I'm gonna go with a processor. It's all I need given I won't be needing an amp section and all my HDMI equipped components can be switched through it.

Oh, and my new URC MX-880 integrated remote with macros is AWESOME!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 01:04 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:42
Deathrend is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Oh, and my new URC MX-880 integrated remote with macros is AWESOME!!!
I've seen those, I'm just not brave enough to move away from my Harmony One, rofl..
Soon to come, 3500
Old 10-21-2011, 03:55 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

Mine is simple.
I have Onkyo TX-SR876 to do the switching, video processing and audio decoding. Also to channel the rears and center.
Emotiva lpa-1 for the L/R front channels.
Behringer EP2500 and Velodyne SMS-1 for the Subs.
99% HT and 1% Music

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 10-21-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:05 PM
erm

^^^^ Thanks for the info! ^^^^