DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
yates367 is on a distinguished road
Default Sound Cancellation Issues for an 06 Quad Cab

Anyone know of any issues with sound cancellation when mounting a sub facing down in an 06 Dodge Ram Quad cab? Or in any position for that matter.

I have had two prior boxes, one in an 08 F150 Super Crew cab, facing down in a box replacing my center seat section in front, and one in a 99 Ram extended cab under rear seat facing forward. Same sub, same airspace, same port tuning frequency. Both vehicles seemed to have some cancellation. When I open the door it would pound.

Now these same subs, in the same box space and tuning in a 97 regular cab ram I had POUNDED like no other. No cancellation issues at all. They were behind the rear seat facing the back of the cab.

It's been a long time since I was big into car audio and don't remember what causes this, whether it's sound pressure related or frequency related. The boxes were tuned to around 32hz if I remember correctly.

So any help before I start my new venture on my center console box for my new Ram would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2012, 11:36 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, you are on the right path with this. Deflection off the cabin floor can often add decibels to the output of your subwoofer, pending it's not too close or too far away from the floor.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:48 AM

Well i did a test. I put a ported box i have facing down on the back flooe with the bench seat folded up. Sounds awesome!!! So that settles the facing down scenario.

Now this box is a slotted port and is on the face of the box so it also was facing down. I see many people on the forums building their center console box and facing the port towards the dash instead of facing down with the sub. Anyone know if there is any benefit to that? Right now my test bos is POUNDING HARD with the sub and port facing down.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:28 PM

chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

It's just another deflection theory. With a front mounted subwoofer, having the port facing forward creates deflection off the dash, and theoretically increases the volume of the bass.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 PM

well, i've tried it facing up, down, and back. it pretty much all sounds the same. My test box is too long to face towards the dash as I'm using a dual box with one sub in it.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:32 PM

I think you'll be just fine with the setup you are wanting to run. Should dig quite low.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:12 PM

Yes, the sub is an old Diamond audio tdx12d2 with the original Diamond Audio ported box. I'm just building a more custom fitting design as a center console. Currently I'm only putting 400 watts RMS to this one sub and it sounds awesome in the original box. I use to have both subs running from a D5 Diamond audio 1200.1 amp.. WOW is and understatement as it was ear hurting pounding. I plan on getting the amp fixed as this sub can handle 900 watts continous in the 1.65 cu.ft. (net volume 1.9 gross volume) enclosure that its in(and the one I'm building).
Old 01-18-2012, 06:17 PM

Do you have both subwoofers still? I've seen a pretty awesome double JBL Gti subwoofer enclosure mounted isobaric as a center console. Rear sub was completely enclosed, front subwoofer was exposed at the front and bottom to deflect the waves much like the forward firing ported downfiring enclosures.

But let's you use a much smaller enclosure for some pretty beefy monster subwoofers.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:08 PM

Yes i do stilll have both. But im not a fan of isobaric enclosures.i listen to all kinds of music and isobaric doesnt have that ability. At least not the box i had before. I built it specifically because i didnt have alot of space. Overall it was ok. But since i have enough room for one in a ported box, and can simply add more power, it definitely satisfies my goal

Last edited by yates367; 01-18-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:22 PM

Sweet! Can't wait to see it.