DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2004
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Blue with Racing Stripe
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
lifeofchaos13 is on a distinguished road
Default Noob Engine Blown Question...

Hey All new to the site and I have a problem with my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab. I was hoping for some advice here.

First off the background, bought the truck used had 99,700 on it and I put about 500 miles on it. Driving down the freeway the other night my check engine light came on and my oil pressure dropped to 0. I got it home and it was running ruff I could here the lifters, etc.

Next morning went out and checked the oil, level was fine. It Started right up and same deal no oil pressure and running ruff and loud.

Had it towed to the Dodge Dealer and 2 days later get a call stating that I need a new engine that the previous owner had run it low or out of oil and that there was alot of slugg in my pan. Apparently they stated they did a dye test and there was damage on my bearings. I told them just wrap it up and make sure there is oil in it as I cant afford the $8800 they wanted for a new engine.

When I picked it up it started right up, oil presure is fine and it sounded great. Drove it home ( only like 2 miles ) and it ran great the whole way.

Now for the question. Does this sound like a blown engine? Seems to me if it was blown then it would stay "blown" and not come back.

Thanks for any help. This is my first dodge since my 89 dakota 20 years ago. Love the truck shopped for 3 months to find the one I want, now this happens.
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge RAM 4.8L 290ci
Trim Level: Quad Cab SLT
Color: Black
Rep:12
SuperiorStyles is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SuperiorStyles Send a message via Yahoo to SuperiorStyles

The engine is not blown yet but driving it again might result in bearing Failure throughout the engine and even worst. You can find a Used Engine for about $2000 with 50,000 miles and sometimes less. So you might wanna start getting prepare for the worst.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorStyles View Post
The engine is not blown yet but driving it again might result in bearing Failure throughout the engine and even worst. You can find a Used Engine for about $2000 with 50,000 miles and sometimes less. So you might wanna start getting prepare for the worst.
Ya parked it and havnt drove it since getting it home. Ive gotten 3 quotes from local shops and all of them are quoting around $4000. I just dont have that right now, I just put $3500 down on the truck and just made my second loan payment.

Im hoping to not have to get a replacment, guess im hoping for a miracle huh.. lol
Old 09-27-2011, 11:36 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge RAM 4.8L 290ci
Trim Level: Quad Cab SLT
Rep:12
SuperiorStyles is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SuperiorStyles Send a message via Yahoo to SuperiorStyles

well you never know. Hopefully it keep working and you can enjoy it.
I know exactly what you mean on the budget cause I just rebuild mine myself and
Spend $3500 on something that was a failure from factory. So I upgraded so much and did so much to mine to get it better the factory and I did my research on what I have been hearing and seeing throughout the years and I went and improved it all. Just keep in mind to use some Mobil 1 Full Syn motor Oil and Mobil 1 Filter for at least 10,000 miles to attack any other sludge in there and any future failure.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:49 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Grey
Rep:32
Maddevill is on a distinguished road

Well, you could try removing the pan, and clean it out, The pickup was probably blocked which caused your oil pressure loss. Once clean, put synthetic in it and go ahead and drive it. If it blows, it was bad anyway, right? If it doesn't, good for you.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
Well, you could try removing the pan, and clean it out, The pickup was probably blocked which caused your oil pressure loss. Once clean, put synthetic in it and go ahead and drive it. If it blows, it was bad anyway, right? If it doesn't, good for you.
I was thinking about doing just that, then running some seafoam thru it for 50 miles or so and changing out the oil a couple times. Only problem is I dont have the tools or the know how to drop the pan. I have heard that on some of the years you have to litereally lift the engine some to get to the pan. Anyone know if that is the case on the 04 ?
Old 09-27-2011, 12:44 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Ram SLT, 4wd swb
Rep:27
HemiEd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
I agree, he would not have normal oil pressure if it was blown.

I am trying to catch up here on the sludge though, is that due to neglected fossil oil not getting changed enough?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
I agree, he would not have normal oil pressure if it was blown.

I am trying to catch up here on the sludge though, is that due to neglected fossil oil not getting changed enough?

Yes according to Dodge Dealership the slugg was cause by not doing regular oil changes. I just purchased the truck 2 months ago and changed the oil first thing.

I was thinking of putting in some seafoam running it for 50 or so then getting a engine flush done and having them put in the mobil 1 synthetic and filter and see how that goes.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. You guys are alot of help.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:01 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Ram SLT, 4wd swb
Rep:27
HemiEd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofchaos13 View Post
Yes according to Dodge Dealership the slugg was cause by not doing regular oil changes. I just purchased the truck 2 months ago and changed the oil first thing.

I was thinking of putting in some seafoam running it for 50 or so then getting a engine flush done and having them put in the mobil 1 synthetic and filter and see how that goes.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far. You guys are alot of help.

Good luck with it, hope it turns out well for you.

If it was me though, I would pull the pan, to make sure there is no more interruption to the oil flow to those bearings that have experienced starvation.

I have noticed numerous posts on here about sludge, but hopefully I won't have that problem since mine has only 27k and has had synthetic in it since the first oil change.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought
Did the dealer change the oil filter ? The old filter could have collapsed, causing your original problem.
My suggestion would be to see if there is a new Mopar oil filter on it, if there is, all is good.
If there is a Fram oil filter on it, get rid of it ASAP
I spend a bit more & buy a WIX, NAPA, or CarQuest oil filters

I also suggest joining Triple A, just for the free towing, if nothing else. I have it for both my Harley & the RAM
http://www.aaa.com/aaa/sem/sem.htm?r...&skin=JoinSEM&
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle