DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:21
Dodgeystyle is on a distinguished road
Default EGR and DPF delete and warranty

Hey guys, its been a while since I've been on here it's nice to be back. My question is I've got a 2008 3500 mega cab with the 6.7 liter and I'm hearing of a few guys getting an EGR and DPF delete done directly through Dodge and I'm just wondering if anyone knows if that is going void my powertrain warranty or not and if it is worth spending the money
Sponsored links
Old 12-01-2011, 02:18 PM
erm

If Dodge does it then they have to warranty the work.

I think it's worth it, frankly.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:28
06quad4x4 is on a distinguished road

My father recently deleted his '11 3500 cummins with a smarty jr and flowpro test pipe. He went from 15mpg highway to 22.3 mpg and the truck only has 8,000 miles on it. According to most people cummins trucks will get better fuel economy once they're broken in. I say if the dealership is willing to do the deletes, go for it.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:48 PM

thanks guys, my truck has 12,000kms it so it is broke in and the increase in fuel mileage is one of the biggest reasons i'm looking at doing this. just a little paranoid cause it sounds to good be true that my powertrain warranty would not be voided. just figured i'd get some other opinions
Old 12-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

I don't think any dealership will do it and warranty the truck. I have heard te almost all of te dealerships who were doing warranty work on deleted motors got am earfull from Chrysler an the select few that did really have to watch them selves now.
Did a delete on our 09 45k miles ago, went from 14-15mpg to 22-24 mpg. The only thing the truck has been in the shop for since is a serpentine belt and it has 84k miles on it so only a few more months left on the 5 yr 100k mile warranty
Old 12-01-2011, 10:28 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3247
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I have never heard of ANY dealership deleting the EGR or DPF, mostly because they are emissions requirements; it's actually against chrysler's rules for them to modify these systems since they're taking the vehicles out of the mandated emissions requirements.

Most performance shops will gladly do this for you, but be aware that you will be kissing part of your truck's warrany goodbye if you delete the DPF since you HAVE to modify the programming.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:40 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
I have never heard of ANY dealership deleting the EGR or DPF, mostly because they are emissions requirements; it's actually against chrysler's rules for them to modify these systems since they're taking the vehicles out of the mandated emissions requirements.

Most performance shops will gladly do this for you, but be aware that you will be kissing part of your truck's warrany goodbye if you delete the DPF since you HAVE to modify the programming.
A friend of mine just had it done on his 08 2500 at the dodge dealer in brooks, AB and swears up and down that the only thing his powertrain warranty won't cover anymore is his EGR, cooler, and DPF but they aren't even on the truck anymore
Old 12-01-2011, 11:30 PM
I push the skinny pedal

CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'd talk to the dealership in Brooks about that before you take the plunge then. You may only be able to have it serviced in Brooks, I know that places like Derrick Dodge, which is the largest modifier of Ram trucks in Alberta, won't even touch the DPF on the 6.7L. I wouldn't be surprised if the dealership in Brooks does this, but it's entierly on their own as it's not condoned by Chrysler corp and they can get in big trouble if one of these trucks end up at another dealership for warranty service.

I am very skeptical about what their warranty covers since you have to run a turbo-back system, block off the EGR and them reprogram the ECM, which can be done with the StarScan, but it's easier to use a MiniMAXX as you could make changes on your own. Any major changes to the ECM will void your drivetrain warranty, which is why you have to be careful because you can easily start tearing up tranmissions with just a tuner install due to the major increase in torque.

If you have an '08 how much warranty is left on it anyway? I entierly condone the deleting of the DPF and EGR, as well as SEVERAL other mods and you'd be amazed at the power you can squeeze out of the 6.7L compared to the 5.9L.

Last edited by CdnoilRAM; 12-01-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:34 PM

I've got 40,000kms left on my power train warranty. I know for what my friend has told me that delete has turned it into a totally different truck
Old 12-01-2011, 11:49 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Yeah, it really does, the DPF is the worst thing to happen to the diesel market since the switch to ultra-low sulphur fuel. At least we're not in the same boat as Ford and Chev, having to use urea injection, that's the thing I hate the most about my '10 SuperDuty.